ID:1815981

What's up guys? I'm just checking back into BYOND again. Im curious about some of the new updates though, maybe you guys could help point me in the right direction?

I'm interested in learning more about the web client; how exactly does it work? How do I integrate my existing games into a browser? How extensive is it, as in are interfaces supported? Using this software would I be able to transfer my games onto Android/apple products(tables and phones)?

That's just some questions for starters! Any info is appreciated!
Well, this might be somewhat late right now, but since i'd been meaning to try and get to this post for some time -although i feel i don't have all the time right now to really point you in the most relevant/specific of directions- i figured i could just drop something from another thread post that is kinda related to the webclient stuff at least:

"[...]there is more to the process though, particularly in the specifics of byond and it's webclient. For that i'd suggest some handy links as a good place to start on covering certain necessary areas i.e. what you can do with the webclient, how to do what you've done with ds so far with it -and, likely even better- how to manage programming something that works for both ds and the webclient, etc. etc.
Beyond that though, utilising the webclient -and any related tags, for instance- within the forum search should, i believe, get you fairly far in terms of what the byond -> webclient transition entails for a developer (apart from learning how to use/becoming comfortable with the relevant languages :D)."

As i said, i don't have much time to dwell on this unfortunately, but in case you were still looking for info, then what you can just do is visit the Announcements forum section as a safe bet, depending on how long ago you left you might even be going back to the byond 500 posts? -good times :D- (Oh and you might skipping the Byond Within posts at least in regards to your request, while they're interesting articles, they are specific to what members of the community are doing on their own projects rather than anything referring to new things to the byond engine as a whole).
Wow, I missed this for a while. Sorry I didn't get to it sooner myself, but I can answer a few questions. Based on your login history I take it you're familiar with the animate(), transform, color, alpha, and blend_mode changes, so I'll just go over the webclient stuff.

Magicbeast20 wrote:
I'm interested in learning more about the web client; how exactly does it work?

When you host a game, you can make it webclient-accessible. The server delivers the JavaScript files (compiled from Dart) needed for the webclient as well as several controls in the form of .dms files, and the client end can run in any modern browser to play the game. Almost all of DS's functionality is represented in the webclient, with only a few exceptions.

How do I integrate my existing games into a browser?

For the most part, there's very little you need to do. There are some skin features that are unsupported because they just don't have relevance (like borders, which you can set via CSS). If your game uses browser elements, you'd want to make sure any HTML/CSS/JS in it works in real browsers, not just in IE.

How extensive is it, as in are interfaces supported?

Yes. Skins will be translated automatically, although you also have the option of creating a webclient-only skin that it can use instead. All of the DS controls are present. You also have the ability to create new controls, and any control can act as a pane.

The webclient is highly, highly extensible. If for instance you don't like the standard bar control for how it draws things, you could create a brand new control and tell a webclient-only skin to use that instead, but give it the same name as the matching bar control in the regular skin. When you use winset/winget it'll never know the difference.

Also, the webclient has superior support for transparency, so you can put a transparent label over the map.

Using this software would I be able to transfer my games onto Android/apple products(tables and phones)?

Yes, but you will of course need a server running on Windows or Linux. Unlike DS, which has the server code too, the webclient cannot run standalone. At some point it's a goal to try to integrate Chrome so that a standalone game with webclient powers would be feasible.