ID:181650

I've been lookin around online trying to get some more information on this but everywhere I find is incredibly unspecific.

Does anyone have any ideas on how much it would cost to drop an OC1/OC3 line relatively near a backbone point? (Sacramento, CA)

IIRC the west coast web lines meet up in sac, where they run to texas, where the 4 major lines meet up.

Any thoughts or information on the topic?

(Asking for reference in regards to starting a web hosting / isp company)
Dropping any kind of OC line is going to cost you thousands of dollars. Then it'll cost thousands more A MONTH to use the connection.
In response to Nadrew
Nadrew wrote:
Dropping any kind of OC line is going to cost you thousands of dollars. Then it'll cost thousands more A MONTH to use the connection.

Naturally. My initial guess would be well over 'thousands'. More into 30k or higher for installation.

That be my problem. I can't find anywhere that actually gives even a ballpark figure on the topic. Also, how many miles away from a backbone would probably have a serious impact on the price as well. (This case being roughly 50, assuming there is a backbone in Sacramento which I'm 80% positive their is.)
In response to AJX
Most places don't really bother listing those types of things since they're only realistic to larger companies with some capitol. You'd probably have to find a backbone provider and call them up.
In response to AJX
AJX wrote:
Nadrew wrote:

Naturally. My initial guess would be well over 'thousands'. More into 30k or higher for installation.

That be my problem. I can't find anywhere that actually gives even a ballpark figure on the topic. Also, how many miles away from a backbone would probably have a serious impact on the price as well. (This case being roughly 50, assuming there is a backbone in Sacramento which I'm 80% positive their is.)

Assuming there is no previously laid dark fiber that could be taken advantage of...

You would be looking at around $8,000-$10,000 per mile to run fiber. There are reasons facilities that need such connections try to remain as close as possible to the backbone, 50mi is quite a ways away. You also need to remember it may be longer than that as you can't just draw a straight line (It'll be following wherever they are able to lay it and/or there is existing conduit to run it through).
As far as physical cable goes, you'll need at least something like 4 core tight bundled OM3 to reach the through-put of the OC1 standard. That comes at about $2 a metre if you want it steel taped, so $3,000 a mile or so. This will need to be further cladded, trenches laid, regenerated at points (I don't really know how the signal on OM3 degrades in those conditions) etc. It's quite beyond me in the UK to estimate labour and legal costs for that, so an exercise for the reader perhaps. In LAN conditions that kind of OM3 could manage you a nice 10 Gbit connection, but you need to be realistic about the distances and conditions the cable will be under.

Fees for hooking onto another level 1 ISP's network is of course entirely up to them. Given the scenario you envisage, I don't think you'll be peering at all, meaning you will pay the full cost of the bandwidth used, and will essentially be single-homed. Then of course comes the delights of distribution frames ($10,000+ depending on what you're looking to distribute on), IP DSLAM (if you intend to provide xDSL services) and any other fancy kit for cable services (we don't really have lots of those services in the UK, information is sparse). Add housing for this distrib kit, power, maintenance etc etc.

If you want some guess figures for providing unbundled xDSL services on top of BT's network for the UK, check their OpenReach site, that will at least give you estimates of labour and ballparks for kits.

I wouldn't recommend asking people on BYOND, personally, we're not generally known for our large scale network management.
In response to Stephen001
Stephen001 wrote:
I wouldn't recommend asking people on BYOND, personally, we're not generally known for our large scale network management.

Au contraire, you and Xioden are actually very informative. :)

And Nadrew tried, so he gets points as well.

Thank you all for the info.
Stephen001 wrote:
As far as physical cable goes, you'll need at least something like 4 core tight bundled OM3 to reach the through-put of the OC1 standard. That comes at about $2 a metre if you want it steel taped, so $3,000 a mile or so. This will need to be further cladded, trenches laid, regenerated at points (I don't really know how the signal on OM3 degrades in those conditions) etc. It's quite beyond me in the UK to estimate labour and legal costs for that, so an exercise for the reader perhaps. In LAN conditions that kind of OM3 could manage you a nice 10 Gbit connection, but you need to be realistic about the distances and conditions the cable will be under.

From my schooling, high quality laser powered glass fiber can run 200miles without regeneration. 2 miles for LED powered plastic fiber optic. There's probably much more to it, I'm only in my first year :P

Also, from what I gather, fiber is difficult and expensive to hook up to (very expensive) equipment.

You may be able to do better by simply calling up your cable company and getting high speed business-grade cable for about 100 month.
In response to Jerico2day
Jerico2day wrote:
You may be able to do better by simply calling up your cable company and getting high speed business-grade cable for about 100 month.

There is a huge difference between the highest end cable connections (18mb/s down) and an OC3 (155mb/s down) or even OC1 line (55mb/s down).

:)
In response to AJX
OC-1 is more like a 50 Mbit payload, bursting at least 125 micro-seconds in one direction. It could be 50 Mbit down, if you had no up at all, which is just not gonna happen for traffic over TCP.
In response to AJX
Do you mean 18 mega-bit, or byte? I have a 30 mbit connection through the local cable company, and they offer up to 50. The upstream is roughly 1/3rd of that for any given package, mine is 30/10, its about 75 a month after modem rental and taxes.
In response to Jotdaniel
Jotdaniel wrote:
Do you mean 18 mega-bit, or byte? I have a 30 mbit connection through the local cable company, and they offer up to 50. The upstream is roughly 1/3rd of that for any given package, mine is 30/10, its about 75 a month after modem rental and taxes.

mb == bit
mB == byte.

And I wanna live where you live. My local cable companies even limit the 18mb connections to a monthly cap to stop torrenters.
Stephen001 wrote:
OC-1 is more like a 50 Mbit payload, bursting at least 125 micro-seconds in one direction. It could be 50 Mbit down, if you had no up at all, which is just not gonna happen for traffic over TCP.

Thank you sir! <_<
Duly noted. :p
In response to AJX
I have Comcast, and they are evil. They do use "network management" however they dont use a cap, they just slow you down if you use too much. IE: I don't let torrents run that long. Most things I can see out several copies in a few hours, and I stop there. They do have a pending class-action lawsuit about it though.
In response to AJX
AJX wrote:
Jerico2day wrote:

There is a huge difference between the highest end cable connections (18mb/s down) and an OC3 (155mb/s down) or even OC1 line (55mb/s down).

I'm aware of that, but for a lot of business purposes that's enough. I'm just saying, make sure you actually know you'll need to use that much:)
In response to Jotdaniel
Jotdaniel wrote:
I have Comcast, and they are evil. They do use "network management" however they dont use a cap, they just slow you down if you use too much.

Didnt Comcast already do this (to torrenters only) and the FCC slapped the hell out of them for it? O.o...

IE: I don't let torrents run that long. Most things I can see out several copies in a few hours, and I stop there. They do have a pending class-action lawsuit about it though.

Yea the bandwidth limiting thing is a bit ridiculous.
In response to Jerico2day
Jerico2day wrote:
AJX wrote:
Jerico2day wrote:

I'm aware of that, but for a lot of business purposes that's enough. I'm just saying, make sure you actually know you'll need to use that much:)

Web hosting with a small side of ISP requires some heavy lines. :)
(lots of smiley faces in here)
In response to AJX
The pending net neutrality rules the FCC has in the works would greatly discourage these types of practices, but so far nothing solid has been done about it.
In response to AJX
Poor little you. In Australia, it's just plain not possible to get an unlimited internet connection - nor an "unlimited" internet connection. Everything is capped, and normally drops back to 64 kbps after you go over the cap (Faster connections normally drop to 256 kbps).

ADSL2+ is considered fast (Theoretical maximum 24mbps, tends to be much, much less). Cable is incredibly rare.
In response to Jp
Jp wrote:
Poor little you. In Australia, it's just plain not possible to get an unlimited internet connection - nor an "unlimited" internet connection. Everything is capped, and normally drops back to 64 kbps after you go over the cap (Faster connections normally drop to 256 kbps).

For you maybe. Some of us jumped on the ADSL bandwagon reasonably quickly and managed to score a non-capped connection before our ISP's became money grabbing... Best leave that sentence unfinished. The only unfortunate side to it is, those lucky people now have what is considered to be incredibly slow DSL.

However, if you know of a high speed internet that drops down to 256k after the download limit is reached for around the $50.00 mark, let me know, I'd like to investigate it. (I know the chances of this kind of connection for that price are very unlikely if not impossible.)

ADSL2+ is considered fast (Theoretical maximum 24mbps, tends to be much, much less). Cable is incredibly rare.

I haven't done any extended research on the subject, but my ISP, has some interesting ADSL2 plans. They don't actually lower your download speed, just charge you an additional $6.00 per GB downloaded. Which for that kind of speed, would probably accumulate rapidly.
Page: 1 2