In response to AJX
I filled my PS3's 20GB HDD(one of the originals) in about 3 weeks of purchase, and I bought it about 1 month after release, when there were practically no good games for it. I finally bought a 320GB drive and slid it in, it's so much faster, and game installs seem to take a lot less time!
In response to Vic Rattlehead
Considering the original price was in £, that tells me he didn't buy it in the US. Other countries tend to pay more for game consoles than Americans. Also, the cheapest PS3 is $300 US.

The XBox comes in 2(maybe 3) prices. $250(no HDD) and $300(with HDD). So the "worth buying" XBox is the same price as the PS3 Slim. But as mentioned above, prices vary country to country.
If you have never played a Ratchet and Clank game, get Ratchet and Clank:Future. It is a great game. As a fan of the series, I was a little bit disappointed, but from what I have seen, anyone who hasn't played a Ratchet and Clank game absolutely loved it.

edit: Opps, didn't notice Jeff's recommendation at the bottom.
In response to Danial.Beta
Yeah, 120 GB slim PS3's retail in the region of £250 ($400) here on their own. They tend to represent much better value either in offers or bundles. I haven't seen 250 GB slims on their own here, they all seem to be in bundles like Haywire bought, at that sort've price too. The price structure is a bit wack really, seen as HDD size used to be a price discriminator.
The Xbox 360 Arcade bundle I bought had 300MB of space available on it without the HD unit. For whatever reason the outside of the box advertises less space then what I actually got. Perhaps they started giving users more space but didn't want to pay to change boxes.

I don't understand why developers force consumers to buy specially tailored HDs for their systems. I would have spent a fortune now on Xbox 360 add-ons, arcade games and games on demand if it weren't for the fact I don't want to pay $120.00 for a simple HD unit that would normally cost $40.00 if I were putting it into my PC.
In response to Ham Doctor
The PS3 uses a standard laptop HDD. When I upgraded mine, I just went to Newegg and found the best drive that reviews had confirmed worked with the PS3. It cost me like $60 for a 320GB drive. Really nice. Microsoft is the one who went the crazy route on this one. The PS3 also uses standard USB storage instead of memory cards, so any jumpdrive can transfer a save file. Sony certainly won on the storage front this generation. Hopefully the next XBox will be a bit more open for storage.
Well apparently there are certain brands of HD you can get for the Xbox 360. You have to flash the drive and then open up that HD case and replace the unit with the new flashed drive. That is simply far too much work for me. It's annoying the Xbox 360 won't even use flash drives for saving and stuff.
In response to Stephen001
Well I purchased mine from GAME. They have some neat deals although there were better but have expired.

http://www.game.co.uk/Consoles/PlayStation-3/_/ N-1z13fvgZ1z13mmt?platform=33100&platform=33900
360 files are so small in size, PS3 files are bloated enormously, so they NEED bigger HDDs.
In response to Vic Rattlehead
More like developers know space is available so they utilize it. Also, PS3 uses a lot more uncompressed textures/audio because of the big disc size, so the installs don't compress the files(that would take way too long and kinda ruin the point).
In response to Stephen001
We <3 Katamari came out back when I didn't have a PS2 (I got one after PS3s came out and the price dropped), and Katamari Damacy never got a PAL release (Like so many other wonderful games...), so Katamari Forever has made me quite happy.
In response to Jp
I'm glad to hear that. I was highly disapointed in the demo, and as a result did not buy it, despite loving the first two Katamari games(Kat a mari De mash eee doodly doo!)

I guess my issue is that one of the best things about Katamari was its strangeness. Once you got used to it, it was no longer strange, and was just a good game.
In response to Kuraudo
Kuraudo wrote:
Assassin's Creed.

Is good for about the first three missions. The following ten missions are identical. Gather information, talk to guild master, kill target, return home with new information. Discover an ultimately predictable ending.

Assassin's Creed II (when it comes out).

I hope this game improves more on the first one. I enjoyed the combat, but the story line is boring, repetitive and predictable.

--

I suggest Heavenly Sword. It was a quicker game, but it was still incredibly fun. The motion controls of the SIXAXIS were stunningly interesting (without the need to jump around). Not to mention the fascinating storyline.
I've played a bit of We <3 Katamari, and talked about it with friends a fair bit, and the general quirkiness of Katamari Forever still amuses me. I might just be easily amused, though.

About half of it is old levels - some of which are incredibly annoying, like the Cowbear level and the Campfire level. It's also got a bunch of new ones, some of which are quite interesting, and at least one of which is currently driving me insane (ARGH WHY CAN'T I MAKE TWELVE METRES). The conversations you have with the King and RoboKing are generally pretty amusing, too. It's also very pretty, and the addition of the Prince Hop allows them to make levels a bit more vertical. I think they've changed the collision physics, too - you can clip through the bottom of a lot of surfaces.
Seems like no-one else suggested these.

Valkyria Chronicles: In some respects this game is a typical JRPG story-book, so if small mountaineds of dialogue put you off, this game may not be for you. On the whole though, it's a JRPG tactical turn-based maybe real-time I dunno what. It very much reminds me of Fire Emblem crossed with Combat Mission, then set in pseudo-WW2 Belgium for good measure. There is a lot of very neat tactical choices to be had out of it, as your squad pool is about 30+ people put into a roster of 20, each of which have fairly clear strengths and weaknesses, and some slightly more subtle team choices. It's a bit difficult to describe because of the mass of features, so perhaps a video will do better. All the gameplay videos are in mega-poop quality, so I'm at a loss for those. But in-game graphics are somewhat similar to that trailer. This does alright though.

Outrun Online Arcade: Not actually a PS3 exclusive, but it's nice all the same. It's basically Outrun 2. It's so 80's it hurts.
Borderlands is extremely fun and worth checking out.

MAG has a beta available for any who preorders the game itself, and from what I hear it looks like its going to be a hit.
I don't really understand the PS3, I don't own one myself, but every time I've played it I've had to:

Wait up to an hour for a game to install.
Wait up to 8 hours for the game to install updates from the internet (we're talking 750+MB updates, and not from a slow ISP/connection either) before it even starts
And then I have to wait up to several minutes every few minutes for some games to load the next bits.
And even longer if I'm playing online for games to connect,list,let me join then connect to the host.

I think I've spent more time waiting on a PS3 than playing on it. I might as well have just played them all on PC, except games like Metal Gear Solid 4 aren't on PC.

PS: I've played Borderlands on PC, its a cheap Fallout3 clone with a not particularly deep storyline, except it has a multi-player feature and doesn't seem to suffer from thousands of bugs. I'm still playing it but its not worth the hype people have been telling me it is.

The latest Red Faction game was awesome, and doesn't seem to suffer quite as bad in regards to obsessive loading as some games. I haven't played Killzone 2 but if I'm able to steal it off someone I'd definitely try it out.
In response to Tiberath
Tiberath wrote:

I suggest Heavenly Sword. It was a quicker game, but it was still incredibly fun. The motion controls of the SIXAXIS were stunningly interesting (without the need to jump around). Not to mention the fascinating storyline.

This was the first PS3 game I played, while it is a short game being an early release, I was impressed. Its worth getting it for £5-10 if you have the money to spend.

My sister in laws (one of whom owns the PS3 in question) forced me to play it so they could watch the storyline! They stuck me a few bits into the game however, where they conveniently forgot to tell me about having to shake the controller!

You might not believe this but I got all the way to the bit where the father is staggering away (fairly long bit) without holding the fire button down and shaking the controller at all. I did realise it for the shield, but didn't realise it applied to cannonballs and arrows! doh!
In response to Acebloke
Acebloke wrote:
Wait up to an hour for a game to install.

Takes our PS3 normally no longer than a few minutes. GTA IV installed in under 10, Heavenly Sword in under 5.

Wait up to 8 hours for the game to install updates from the internet (we're talking 750+MB updates, and not from a slow ISP/connection either) before it even starts
as some games.

We generally don't download game updates unless we're going to play multiplayer. And even then, we only download those at night while we sleep. Boo 256k.
$464.82?
the 2nd gen are only 299 in stores with 2 free games...LOL
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6