In response to Tiberath
I've had the same problem as Ace on the installing and updates. When I got, the new Virtua Fighter, it took a hour and a half to install to the PS3 and then, it didn't even seem to make a difference.

People who got Devil May Cry 4 on the PS3 had to wait like an hour and a half, while the Xbox 360 users got to play as soon as they put the disk in and the loading differences were only seconds different.

I like how the Xbox is now going with downloadable 360 games. I hope this is something they keep doing in the future.
In response to Ham Doctor
After purchasing an after market HDD for my PS3, install times for demos and games, even those in the 2GB area, are under 3 minutes. Before they were 10+. Best I can figure is that either my 20GB small drive was so small it had to do a lot of data shuffling or the drive that comes in the PS3 is shabby quality. But hey, at least I can go and buy any after market sata 2.5" drive and it just works on the PS3.
In response to Fast ball0
As mentioned else where, he isn't buying it in the US. Prices vary largely country to country.
In response to Acebloke
Slow downloads are in issue from time to time. I've found that, if possible, pausing and restarting the download seems to speed it up again(but that isn't an option on game update downloads). Newer games are better about having smaller patches, especially right after release.

As for the install times, as I mentioned in a lower post, replacing the stock HDD completely fixed this issue for me. I'm not sure why, but it made a huge difference.

As for Borderlands, that is, in no way, a Fallout clone. It is more a Diablo clone than anything. Fallout 3 as a RPG that just happened to use guns as the main weapon. However, it was not a shooter, it was not a loot whore game, and it was not a skill tree game. Borderlands is in a very similar world(post apocalyptic world with mutants), but Fallout was far from the first artistic medium to explore this type of world. Its kinda like calling World of Warcraft an Ultima clone. That said, I've only played about to about level 10 at a friends house, so I can't attest to how great of a game it is, but those 10 levels were fun.
They also recently disabled 3rd party memory cards(which are less than half the price of the microsoft units)which seems a bit unfair for anyone who already owns one,.
In response to Fast ball0
Keep in mind he got a 250 GB. That would normally be around $500 total.
In response to Jeff8500
God of war 3, metal gear solid 4, devil may cry 4, prototype, Grand Theft Auto IV
In response to IcewarriorX
Grand Theft Auto is way over rated. I had more fun with China Wars on the PSP then Grand Theft Auto IV.
Ham Doctor wrote:
Grand Theft Auto is way over rated. I had more fun with China Wars on the PSP then Grand Theft Auto IV.

I find that hard to believe, unless for some stupid reason you own a $300+ gaming system that's most prized feature is online gaming and you never played your $60 game online. One of the best ways to play GTA-IV. In my opinion anyway.

Oh currently my addiction is Borderlands. Its friggin' AWESOME! ESPECIALLY THE ONLINE CO-OP!

~H4
In response to Hellsing4
Believe it or not, I don't care.
Ham Doctor wrote:
Believe it or not, I don't care.

The Borderlands factoid was for the guy who started this thread and asked about games he should look into for his newly purchased PS3... Not you

~H4
In response to Danial.Beta
Danial.Beta wrote:
Slow downloads are in issue from time to time. I've found that, if possible, pausing and restarting the download seems to speed it up again(but that isn't an option on game update downloads). Newer games are better about having smaller patches, especially right after release.

As for the install times, as I mentioned in a lower post, replacing the stock HDD completely fixed this issue for me. I'm not sure why, but it made a huge difference.

As for Borderlands, that is, in no way, a Fallout clone. It is more a Diablo clone than anything. Fallout 3 as a RPG that just happened to use guns as the main weapon. However, it was not a shooter, it was not a loot whore game, and it was not a skill tree game. Borderlands is in a very similar world(post apocalyptic world with mutants), but Fallout was far from the first artistic medium to explore this type of world. Its kinda like calling World of Warcraft an Ultima clone. That said, I've only played about to about level 10 at a friends house, so I can't attest to how great of a game it is, but those 10 levels were fun.

Borderlands is so close to Fallout3 I wouldn't be surprised if they edited it to resemble/unresemble the game when it came out. I wasn't claiming Fallout3 was unique because for them it was a big copy paste job (some people have even found Elder Scrolls NPC dialog in the game), but rather more in line with the storyline, its intended outlook and its advertisement. Vaults, raiders, civilisations based on scrap metal, the legends of grand technology, looting to an extent. And those blinking dog things is pretty much fallout3 AI monsters to a tee. I've played a lot of shooters but this is the first time I can honestly say playing one made me think I was still stuck in the other. And this includes Call of Duty and Medal of Honor titles.

I'm still playing it btw :p I do like it, and if it wasn't like Fallout3 then I probably wouldn't.
In response to Acebloke
Acebloke wrote:
Wait up to an hour for a game to install.

You have to be exaggerating, talking about shoddy hardware or an issue that was fixed with a firmware update (not that I approve of these sorts of things. Not everyone has the internet to download them).
In response to Smoko
No he isn't Smoko, it was a huge complaint with a lot of gamers, especially with Devil May Cry 4. I had similar problems with I had mine last year.

They may have fixed it now, but not everyone has a newer model or even has the luxury of updating the firmware or hardware.

Also I knew this thread was for the guy and I do not recommend GTA 4.
Ham Doctor wrote:
No he isn't Smoko, it was a huge complaint with a lot of gamers, especially with Devil May Cry 4. I had similar problems with I had mine last year.

The beauty of my post is I appeared to be accusing him of lying, while saying that the problem he was talking about was fixed.
In response to Smoko
A fix which not everyone may have access to.
In response to Smoko
Well I'm not at fault for Sony's shoddy hardware, the machine isn't mine anyway and I don't have any intention of buying one myself (especially when the Xbox-360 seems to remember its a console half the time and doesn't always require game installation).

Not many of us have the luxury of buying more than one of the same heap of crap just to get what was expected the first time :p

I'll admit, some installations were 10 minutes, 30 minutes, but its a console it shouldn't matter. If it takes longer than 2 minutes to get to the start screen there is something wrong.
If it was a firmware issue, then everyone on BYOND should have access to the fix. I never had problems with my game installations taking more than five minutes, which is just enough time to grab a snack and a drink.
In response to Jeff8500
Jeff8500 wrote:
If it was a firmware issue, then everyone on BYOND should have access to the fix. I never had problems with my game installations taking more than five minutes, which is just enough time to grab a snack and a drink.

Start the installation, then fluff up your pillows, grab a coke from the fridge and maybe some cheese and biscuits. By the time you've settled into your gaming chair for the next ten hours, the game is good to go.

And my PS3 isn't exactly top range new of the new. We bought the 40GB one. At that time only the 20, 40 and 60 were available.
In response to Tiberath
My PS3 installs everything very quickly, and I have a relatively old one. I got it within a month after launch!

Unless you're talking about firmware, in which case, yeah, it does take a while.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6