ID:181750

I'm making a game, and I'm leaning towards not letting the window be resizable for a variety of reasons. I googled it and the most commonly used resolution as of last year was 1024 X 768. I made the resolution set to that, and then after I browsed BYOND for a while, noticed that a lot of games start smaller then that before they are resized.

My questions to all of you are:

What is your current resolution?
Do you think 1024 X 768 is the right size?
What do you think the most common resolution on BYOND is?
First off: The resolution is 1024x768 not 770.
And 2ndly, though that probably the most common resolution:
A. It depends on what monitor you have (mine is native 1920x1080)
B. Designing a game to only run at a single resolution, unless that resolution is tiny (and even then) is just a poor design decision.
C. Since BYOND doesn't take in to account the title bar, status bar, task bar, file menu, etc. Setting the window size to 1024x768 won't work very well.
D. This will make it more or less impossible for anyone on a smaller resolution to even play your game, and make it look frumpy on any higher ones.
In response to Falacy
Falacy wrote:
First off: The resolution is 1024x768 not 770.
And 2ndly, though that probably the most common resolution:
A. It depends on what monitor you have (mine is native 1920x1080)
B. Designing a game to only run at a single resolution, unless that resolution is tiny (and even then) is just a poor design decision.
C. Since BYOND doesn't take in to account the title bar, status bar, task bar, file menu, etc. Setting the window size to 1024x768 won't work very well.
D. This will make it more or less impossible for anyone on a smaller resolution to even play your game, and make it look frumpy on any higher ones.

Yea, I took all that into account thats why I'm trying to get a feel for people's resolutions and such. And if everyone agrees with you then I will obviously not be doing it ;)

Thanks for the 768, I just checked the BYOND menu and it probably got stretched out 2 pixels :\
Weird how some topics periodically return with forum users not bothering to invest the 5 seconds a forum search would require.
[link] or [link] to provide examples.
In response to Schnitzelnagler
I really don't see the harm in reposting this, one of those is a year old, and this is something that could easily change in a year. The other only had a handful of responses.
In response to Schnitzelnagler
Schnitzelnagler wrote:
Weird how some topics periodically return with forum users not bothering to invest the 5 seconds a forum search would require.
[link] or [link] to provide examples.

I do apologize for not searching, just wanted to get answers right away.

And although it is not what I was thinking, Jotdaniel has a decent point.
My current resolution is 1152 x 864 but it was originally 1024 x 768.

I agree, the most common resolution is infact 1024 x 768, almost every other computer I use in school, at home or over at a freinds is at that resolution.

I'm not exactly sure about the popularity of that resolution on BYOND whatsoever.

Also, Snagler was right about doing a bit of research yourself, I'm sure the change in over a year is not significant and you might find information which will be useful for your research...
I use 1440x990 on my desktop, but usually 1280x800 in games because its the lowest supported 16x10 resolution.
In response to Jotdaniel
1650x1080 every time, regardless of application. Any other resolution doesn't seem 'right' to me =S
Devin148 wrote:
What is your current resolution?

Currently 1280x1024, but only for the last few months since I acquired a cheap 19" LCD.

Do you think 1024 X 768 is the right size?

Yes. Most people have this. Although it wouldn't hurt to design for 800x600 either if your game can stretch well enough, since there are still a few odd people to use it.

What do you think the most common resolution on BYOND is?

Probably lots of spoiled children with rich parents who have large monitors.

Your best solution is to design an interface that will adjust well to various resolutions, or is simply windowed.