ID:181769

Heroes of Newerth and League of Legends are two games that are based on almost word for word or inspired by (respectively) DotA.

DotA is a custom Warcraft 3 map, fully named Defense of the Ancients. That map is based on a custom map from Starcraft called Aeon of Strife, but that is another story.

( To anyone who has not played DotA, HoN, or LoL, this thread will mean absolutely nothing. )

I ask this question because of Ryan's mentioning him playing HoN in his intro post: Which do you like better, and why?

I personally have been a long time DotA player (4 years), have played both successors, and I have to say I like LoL by far out of the three.

I was initially afraid of the game because of its cell shaded animation style, but ultimately I think it plays very well into keeping everything clear and definitive for the players.

I dislike DotA primarily because of its community. I'd say that without any possibility of argument DotA has the worst gaming community known to man. That could be an exaggeration, so a more accurate statement would be "I've never seen anything even close to that bad". It seems that DotA has a way of making even normal people turn into complete dicks while playing. I assume this is because of the team-based nature of the game, but nonetheless it is far too much for me to tolerate.

My problems with HoN are the same. The community is so egregious I had to spend a few minutes thinking up a word that sufficiently describes how disgusting it is to me.

So, what are your thoughts?
Which game do you like most?
Which game do you think will last the longest? (Many speculate that DotA will die off as HoN&LoL come out of closed beta. I disagree with this, though I think it will take a pretty big hit nonetheless.)
Demigod.
I'll quote a good friend of mine:
"World of Warcraft is a terrible game, but the community makes it worth playing. DotA is an awesome game, but the community makes it worth leaving."

Like him, I love the game but hate the attitudes. HoN has unfortunately taken on some of DotA's crappy community, and I haven't played LoL but I bet it will too.

If you're interested in playing a game of that genre that has a much nicer community, try Minions (http://www.casualcollective.com/#games/Minions) -- the folks there are wonderful and the gameplay is still intense.
In response to Ryan P
Ryan P wrote:
Like him, I love the game but hate the attitudes. HoN has unfortunately taken on some of DotA's crappy community, and I haven't played LoL but I bet it will too.

That is an awesome quote, I have to say.

But LoL is enforcing sportsmanship and appropriate behavior. :) So yea, there are occasional jackasses from DotA floating around but they are quickly silenced if you take the time to report them. It is really, really easy to tell who they are too. It is kinda funny.

For example, it is not as crucial to not auto attack in LoL. In fact it pushes you closer to taking towers which is important. When someone starts complaining about it, you can tell they are new and a dota tightwad. :D
LoL > HoN. That is all.
I've never played any of the three, but I dislike DotA if only because in my college dorm I lived near many a DotA addict (around 6-8?) and every day you could hear it start...

A: "doTA?" (emphasis always on the ending, high pitched and in imitation of a Taiwanese student we had who was also an avid DotA player)
B: "DOTA?"
A-C: "DOTA!"
(after the game starts)
A: "Dammit TJ!"
A: "MAN-PELT what are you doing??!"
B: "OMFG you guys are all targeting ME, I quit"
C: "John you always quit don't be a douche"
E: "Ruuuun awaaaaayy"
D: "AAAHHH so strong you are so weak AAAAHHHHH I win" (via Taiwanese accent)
F: "AAAHHH Joey you are such cheater" (via mock-Taiwanese accent)
(losers get really angry and winners get really cocky)

The only benefit to this requires some backstory: several of the people in my dorm section contributed electronics to our "cluster," which was essentially our dorm section's gathering place. One guy bought a TV, one guy put his PS3 in there, another his Xbox 360, and another his Wii. Once everyone started playing DotA I was free to take over the game systems for myself for such things as Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Skate 2, Madden 09, or Halo 3. And since these game sessions lasted so long and occurred so often (occasionally intermixed with StarCraft), I'd have plenty of time to hoard the systems.
In response to Kuraudo
Kuraudo wrote:
I've never played any of the three, but I dislike DotA if only because in my college dorm I lived near many a DotA addict (around 6-8?) and every day you could hear it start...

A: "doTA?" (emphasis always on the ending, high pitched and in imitation of a Taiwanese student we had who was also an avid DotA player)
B: "DOTA?"
A-C: "DOTA!"

Lmao. This is exactly what used to happen at my LAN Center.
In response to Ryan P
Ryan P wrote:
If you're interested in playing a game of that genre that has a much nicer community, try Minions (http://www.casualcollective.com/#games/Minions) -- the folks there are wonderful and the gameplay is still intense.

I tried and kind of like the game.
Does anybody else play it?
If so, what's your registered nickname?

(Sorry, if this kind of derails the thread)
In response to Schnitzelnagler
Schnitzelnagler wrote:
I tried and kind of like the game.
Does anybody else play it?
If so, what's your registered nickname?

I'm PirateHead on Casual Collective, feel free to add me. 2v2 is my favorite format, so if you'd like to team up some time I'm game. :-)
In response to Ryan P
Ryan P wrote:
I'm PirateHead on Casual Collective, feel free to add me.

Added. I'm Schnitzelnagler ;)

Ryan P wrote:
2v2 is my favorite format, so if you'd like to team up some time I'm game. :-)

Sure! But you better be good, since I kind of suck still, you'd have to even out the odds :p