ID:181771

I know many people want to make games but simply can't come up with a good concept that would fit into the mold of what BYOND has to offer. So basically I'm starting this thread so people can share their game concepts in as much detail as they feel necessary so that others may gain inspiration from the ideas.

Please try to keep things as short yet detailed as possible. (Yes, contradicting attributes. Detail more important than short, just try to not be superfluous)

A few things to keep this thread as neat and orderly as possible:
1: Do not make a post unless you are submitting ideas.
2: If you would like to start a discussion about a game concept, please do so in a SEPARATE thread.
3: Please keep to 1 concept per post.
4: Please type as clearly & articulately as you can manage.
Type: Action Board Game
Summary: 2-8 Players face off in a battle of leadership attempting to use their tactical skills to annihilate their opponents.

Detailed explanation:

X number of players start play on a board.

Map sizes can be anywhere from 5x5 (for a 1v1) to 20x20+.

Players start the game with only one unit, their Leader / Legionnaire. If their Leader dies, they lose. If all opposing Leaders die, that player wins. (Team combat would be possible)

More units can be summoned in intervals of 15/30/45/60 seconds, depending on game speed and settings.

A few basic unit ideas that can be summoned are warriors (melee damage), knights (armored, melee tanks), archers (ranged damage), mages (ranged magic damage).

Summoning a new unit takes up points (which are filled every X seconds). Multiple weak units or a lesser strong units can be summoned.

I discourage the use of a healing unit because that makes the gameplay start to require getting a healer. If you leave that out then people will be able to use more dynamic strategies.

All attacks, ranged or otherwise, are blocked by line of sight.

Movement & actions are severely restricted. Movement uses 'points' that are re-filled once every 12 seconds. Each point refill will allow for 3 unit movements. Any one unit can only move once per 2 seconds. You cannot move different units more than once per second.

Action points work the same way. Attacks take up so many action points. Attacks are on a limit of 1 per refresh period. Stronger attacks take more action points.

Maps can be empty or have obstacles. Some obstacles having effects (EG fountain of healing, traps, levers/doors, etc)

Game times are intended to be roughly 5-10 minutes.
Although, based on your "rules" this reply should not be allowed, but I feel as if I should make a few suggestions.

First of all, this type of idea would most likely work better on your blog forums. That way, people could create a new thread for their idea and others can easily reply with suggestions. This would also be more organized because the forum would be dedicated to concepts only. Unlike these forums, where anyone can post anything they wish.

"Please keep to 1 concept per post."
There is a "bump" rule here. You can not bump your own post if it has yet to pass 24 hours. This is why this idea, as stated before, should be on your own forums.
Game Type: Action / Board Game (Kinda)

Short Summary: 2-4 Mages are pitted against one another in a test of intuition and skill.

Detailed Explanation:

Players are placed on a map divided into 2 / 3 / 4 3x3 grids. Each player has their own 3x3 grid, and cannot move outside of that grid.

Map 'wraps around' in the same manner as Last Robot Standing.

Spells are used as your form of battle. They can be aimed at other squares in an attempt to hit and damage the other mages.

The opponent you can aim at from most directions is actually the mage diagonally opposite of you. The reason is when you fire spells off the map in your square they are moved to the diagonal square in the same direction.

Example:
A | B
- -
C | D

C fires a fireball south, in the middle of his 3 columns. The fireball appears above the middle column for B heading south.
D fires a fireball east, in the bottom of his 3 rows. The fireball appears left of A's top row, heading east.

General mage HP: ~30.

General spell damage: ~5.

Deflecting spells is possible, redirecting spells is possible, blocking spells is possible.

Actions are slowed depending on match speed settings. Can be as many as 3 per second, as few as 1 per 2 seconds. (Same for movements)

Many different spell options, but you can only take 3 with you into combat. Cannot be changed during combat. Mage's spell decisions are NOT shown to opposing players. Spells have distinct graphical effects to indicate what spell they are using.

Spells may do any of the following, or more:
Fire in a strait line
Fly X spaces, then turn back around and fly X more spaces.
Fly X spaces, then change direction.
Send out a line X spaces wide for X spaces long.
Homing projectiles, that will fly towards a specific target
Targeted projectiles, that will fly wherever instructed by your mouse. (can actively change course by giving more instructions)
Fly X spaces and stop, and block other spells (or deflect or absorb and begin flying again)

Intended match time: no less than 20 seconds for a 1v1 (even if you make flawless actions) no more than 5 minutes for a 4v4 (even if you all aim very, very badly)
In response to Oldbie
Oldbie wrote:
Although, based on your "rules" this reply should not be allowed, but I feel as if I should make a few suggestions.

First of all, this type of idea would most likely work better on your blog forums. That way, people could create a new thread for their idea and others can easily reply with suggestions. This would also be more organized because the forum would be dedicated to concepts only. Unlike these forums, where anyone can post anything they wish.

"Please keep to 1 concept per post."
There is a "bump" rule here. You can not bump your own post if it has yet to pass 24 hours. This is why this idea, as stated before, should be on your own forums.

Ah. Eh. As all rules go, they come down to moderator discretion. If they feel this is an inappropriate place for this, then so be it.

I never use my personal forums and I really dunno how. I'm sure it isn't that difficult, but I'm afraid of change! :)
Work on an interactive fiction or adventure game, such as what Step BYOND started to be. BYOND has NO full games like this, and they would work very well within BYOND's capabilities.
In response to AJX
Personal forums don't work very well unless people have a reason to visit them.
In response to Foomer
Foomer wrote:
Work on an interactive fiction or adventure game, such as what Step BYOND started to be. BYOND has NO full games like this, and they would work very well within BYOND's capabilities.

I have to ask what exactly this is. I don't have access to BYOND here and I don't have access to the internet at home, so I can't view the information.

Interactive in what way?
In response to AJX
Its just an adventure game, kinda similar to a Sierra style adventure game, only it uses grid-based maps and verbs. Check it out when you have a chance. http://www.byond.com/members/ DreamMakers?command=view_post&post=49087
In response to Foomer
Foomer wrote:
Its just an adventure game, kinda similar to a Sierra style adventure game, only it uses grid-based maps and verbs. Check it out when you have a chance. http://www.byond.com/members/ DreamMakers?command=view_post&post=49087

A couple of the things said in there reminded me of the animation style of Earthbound.

Anyway~ Elaborate on what you meant by interactive.

Like puzzles and actual detail with what you do in the map? Instead of just walking around and such.
In response to AJX
Interactive Fiction (IF) is a genre. Read about it here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interactive_fiction

However, in BYOND's case, it doesn't need to be done with text.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adventure_game
In response to Foomer
Foomer wrote:
Interactive Fiction (IF) is a genre. Read about it here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interactive_fiction

However, in BYOND's case, it doesn't need to be done with text.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adventure_game

Informative. :)

Thanks.