In response to Deathscyth15
Deathscyth15 wrote:
if you realy whanna play wow and your not sure if you wanna pay for it try a private server then
Great idea. Oh wait, no, it isn't.
A: Private servers are illegal and very easy to track who's playing or hosting them to track them down and take action (usually only done to the host).
B: The above.
In response to Danial.Beta
The difference between fun and not-fun in a game like WoW is the community. If you can find a guild of people you enjoy playing with, you will stick with it: the game isn't inherently addictive, it's the interaction with other people that is. Conversely, if you never find your niche and just rely on pickups all the time, you'll find it horribly un-fun for one reason or another.

If you don't want to join a guild, at least find a friend who's a tank or a healer (best case: one of you is a tank, one of you is a healer). You can pretty much dictate your own terms in groups, that way, and they will form in minutes.
In response to Vic Rattlehead
Vic Rattlehead wrote:
A: Private servers are illegal and very easy to track who's playing or hosting them to track them down and take action (usually only done to the host).

No they aren't. It's a breach of the EULA, but it is most certainly not illegal.
In response to Hiro the Dragon King
Contradiction alert: Breaking a law (the EULA) isn't illegal?
Vic Rattlehead spurt:
Breaking a law (the EULA)

Distortion alert: An EULA isn't a law, nearly as official as one, or anything like one. ;P
At any case, an EULA isn't really a binding contract, and whether one is enforceable or not depends on the specific contract and court in question.
In response to Kaioken
Vic Rattlehead wrote:
Really, they arent illegal?

Oh, god! More people on the Internet asking the same question and getting the same dumb answers with the same dumb evidence as their "proof." Note how not everyone in those links agreed with the "illegal" part.
Vic Rattlehead wrote:
So owning a private server is perfectly legal?

Again with the links that have no bearing on the discussion? I had to search around to find out the reasons behind the lawsuit. Even the reason I found may be sketchy, but apparently, OdinMS was making a ton of money off of their private servers. That is illegal.

The most that an EULA could(should, considering how many terrible court decisions I've seen in the past) be able to do is deny your ability to play the game.

The only reasons a lawsuit can be brought upon you for making or hosting a private server is if you illegally obtained the information required to reverse engineer the server, i.e., hacking, or if you make a profit, respectively. Otherwise, all they can do is deny service.
I'm done talking to you about this. It's absurd that you support illegal activities using the argument "it's okay if I'm not caught...".
Vic Rattlehead wrote:
I'm done talking to you about this. It's absurd that you support illegal activities using the argument "it's okay if I'm not caught...".

I'm all for civilized conversation, but the only thing I could come up with when I read that was, "Where in the hell do you pull this crap from?" I have never, in this forum, mentioned that I support illegal activities nor have I ever thought that "it's okay if I'm not caught."

EULA is legally binding contract, yes. So are the forms you sign for a loan. It is a breach of contract to miss a car payment, but it is not illegal.
Vic Rattlehead wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man
"A straw man argument is an informal fallacy based on misrepresentation of an opponent's position.[1] To "attack a straw man" is to create the illusion of having refuted a proposition by substituting a superficially similar proposition (the "straw man"), and refuting it, without ever having actually refuted the original position."

he never said anything about "it's okay if I'm not caught", he said that the only 'illegal' actions that could reasonably occur in a circumstance involving private servers is if they illegally obtained the information required to reverse engineer the server or use it to make a profit.

private servers break the EULA but do not break any laws. EULA =/= law
In response to Zaole
So, according to you it's okay to pirate music? It's the same damn logic as with private servers - it's either illegal in general or 100% legal.

Aslong as you don't get paid for the server you don't get caught, end of story. If Blizzard was alerted of free private servers, they'd still try to take them down because people who play them are taking away money from Blizzard by playing WoW for free, which is VERY similar to pirating.
Vic Rattlehead wrote:
Aslong as you don't get paid for the server you don't get caught, end of story. If Blizzard was alerted of free private servers, they'd still try to take them down because people who play them are taking away money from Blizzard by playing WoW for free, which is VERY similar to pirating.

No, it's not. Pirating music is a very broad term that covers all kinds of act regarding, giving, selling, and obtaining music illegally. Not to mention that downloading, as I guess is to what you are referring, is technically legal, so far.

it's either illegal in general or 100% legal.

Not in America.
Vic Rattlehead wrote:
So, according to you it's okay to pirate music? It's the same damn logic as with private servers - it's either illegal in general or 100% legal.

it's not "the same damn logic"-- this is about law, not how similar one person finds two separate activities to be. there are no laws concerning participating in a private server of a game.

Aslong as you don't get paid for the server you don't get caught, end of story.

what you're saying here confuses me. it makes no sense nor does it bear any relevance to the discussion at hand-- none of us (except for you, of course) have mentioned anything about 'getting caught', yet you keep bringing it up. in addition, why say that "you don't get caught, end of story" if "you don't get paid for the server"? it's certainly possible to be 'caught' without receiving payment, although i must once again point out that this is not relevant to what we're talking about at all.

If Blizzard was alerted of free private servers, they'd still try to take them down because people who play them are taking away money from Blizzard by playing WoW for free, which is VERY similar to pirating.

Blizzard is very well aware of private servers; do you think they're incapable of searching "WoW private server" on Google, or do you believe that none of the thousands who work at Blizzard have any idea that private servers exist?

the reason Blizzard doesn't take action is because they aren't illegal-- simply a breach of service-- so all they're in the power to do (in most situations) is ban the offenders, which is rarely worth doing considering those who play on free servers either do it while paying for legit WoW or because they can't afford it, and because they are an extremely small group that doesn't even really put a dent in the money Blizzard makes
In response to Zaole
ITT: Zaole repeating the same exact thing over and over again.

"t's not "the same damn logic"-- this is about law, not how similar one person finds two separate activities to be. there are no laws concerning participating in a private server of a game." - I can't count how many times you've said that.

And I wasn't aware Zaole worked at Blizzard and was able to monitor all of their actions to know if they monitor any free private servers to know they only have a few players.
Vic Rattlehead wrote:
ITT: Vic Rattlehead ignoring the same exact facts over and over again.

Fix'd.

"t's not "the same damn logic"-- this is about law, not how similar one person finds two separate activities to be. there are no laws concerning participating in a private server of a game." - I can't count how many times I've ignored that fact.

Fix'd.

And I wasn't aware Zaole worked at Blizzard and was able to monitor all of their actions to know if they monitor any free private servers to know they only have a few players.

If you can get into a public server, so can an employee from Blizzard. Common sense dictates that they would keep an eye on them if they really cared. Seeing as there have been lawsuits pertaining to the private servers, I am assuming that they do. So much in fact, that they could tell when someone had hacked their own software to create the server. If they can monitor the servers that hardcore, I'm assuming that they could also know approximately how many players use the servers.

Yes, because knowing the existance of private servers means you have no life AT ALL and observe every ONE of them to tally the players.

Oh, and just editing quotes from another person's post is trolling, especially in the way you do it. Two different threads you've started a flame war with me. Cut it out.
Vic Rattlehead wrote:
Yes, because knowing the existance of private servers means you have no life AT ALL and observe every ONE of them to tally the players.

Oh, and just editing quotes from another person's post is trolling, especially in the way you do it. Two different threads you've started a flame war with me. Cut it out.

I'm sorry. Since everybody here seems to think that editing quotes to prove a point is trolling and flaming, here's the same post, edited to the standards of jackasses.

Vic Rattlehead wrote:
ITT: Zaole repeating the same exact thing over and over again.

ITT: Vic Rattlehead ignoring the same exact facts, over and over again.

"t's not "the same damn logic"-- this is about law, not how similar one person finds two separate activities to be. there are no laws concerning participating in a private server of a game." - I can't count how many times you've said that.

I can't count how many times that you have ignored that same fact.

What was the difference. A tone of sarcasm. If using sarcasm makes me a troll, so be it. But the fact that you keep trying to derail threads and shift attention away from your ignorance on the subject at hand is starting to get old. The facts of the matter are these:

1) EULA is a legally binding contract, not a law.
2) Breach of contract is not a legal offense.
3) Creating a private server is not illegal.
4) Hosting a private server is not illegal.
5) Playing on a private server is not illegal.
6) Downloading music is not illegal.
7) You need to shut the hell up. You are an unintentional troll and you are very good at it.

I'm out! Mods, you can lock this thread.
Yeah, lock the thread. Anyone who thinks download music is legal needs to get his head checked, seriously.
Page: 1 2 3