ID:1819178

Not a bug
BYOND Version:507
Operating System:Windows 10 Technical Preview - Build 10041
Web Browser:Internet Explorer 11
Applies to:Dream Seeker

This is not a bug. It may be an incorrect use of syntax or a limitation in the software. For further discussion on the matter, please consult the BYOND forums.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
I am having trouble listening to audio from BYOND games, such as Rise of Heroes wont play its .mid files inside BYOND(Dream Seeker), or on the webclient.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:

Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:

Expected Results:Hear the .mid's like normal.

Actual Results:I'm not hearing anything.

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often?Every Time
In other games?Yes
In other user accounts?Yes
On other computers?Yes

When does the problem NOT occur?Always

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.)
Untested

Workarounds:I was able to play them inside the browser control by embedding the windows media player control on a webpage, but it's not working on the webclient, so that's not really a solution I can use.

Nothing in the sound code has changed recently in DS. I believe it's likely you have MIDI volume muted on your system, or something otherwise isn't configured right.

In a browser it's playing in a plugin, which doesn't use the system's built-in MIDI capacity like FMOD does.
Unfortunately I have no idea what to do to fix it myself, I have tried installing all kinds of drivers, etc...but am unable to get midi's to play in BYOND, in Windows Media Player, embedded on the web, or other programs like VLC, or the Music app on my PC all play the files fine...

Do you have any info about how one would fix the issue on the PC, if it's a PC issue...? More than likely however I think it's because I am running the Windows 10 Technical Preview...and it just works differently, because posts I see online with Midi not working applies to all their apps, including Windows Media Player.
In response to Superbike32
Superbike32 wrote:
Unfortunately I have no idea what to do to fix it myself, I have tried installing all kinds of drivers, etc...but am unable to get midi's to play in BYOND, in Windows Media Player, embedded on the web, or other programs like VLC, or the Music app on my PC all play the files fine...

Er, at which point does category A end and category B begin? I don't follow which of these work and which don't.

Do you have any info about how one would fix the issue on the PC, if it's a PC issue...? More than likely however I think it's because I am running the Windows 10 Technical Preview...and it just works differently, because posts I see online with Midi not working applies to all their apps, including Windows Media Player.

Nope, I don't really have any ideas how to deal with this if it's a Windows 10 preview issue.
Nadrew resolved issue (Not a bug)
This bug needs to be re-opened for a different reason unless the webclient is supporting different soundfiles than the real client...

Playing a .wma works fine in DreamSeeker but not on the webclient...
Yes, the webclient's sound support is not identical to DS. It partly depends on the browser, though we have third-party libs handling music files. This is documented.
I can't find anything in the DM Reference under any sound entries, and don't see anything specific to the webclient in the reference...where is it specified?

Also I tried Chrome, Firefox and IE, and none of them played .wma, does any browser support .wma audio?
The webclient documentation is not included in the distribution presently. There's a link to it in the webclient questions thread.

And no, I doubt any browser supports .wma natively; IE would if any of them. It's not a widely used format for this sort of thing, and typically would be played via a plugin.