ID:1819867

Poll: Are we ever gonna get a good pokemon game?

Yes 19% (5)
No 80% (21)

Login to vote.

Recently I've seen a decline in pokemon games and....it's pretty sad to me. The pokemon games are the reasons I came to Byond in the first place. I used to be able to play games where I could play as a pokemon (Pokemon amethyst) and fight other pokemon to unlock those chatacters.

Even the regular MMO pokemon games, those are all gone. The old school game that put you in the actual game with other people , I forgot what it was called but it had a venusaur on the cove, and let you battle in the original way.

Just hoping that I can see a increase in byond and an increase in people trying to learn DM for these very reasons. I know I am.

But what i want to as is....
Are we ever gonna get a good pokemon game, Ones like the older games?
TBH I think Pokémon Challenger is the best Pokémon game here. But I doubt people will make a "good" pokemon game. Fangame considerations aside, no one on BYOND makes good games.
Hey Lildre970. Just thought i'd jump in here and advise you not to take Lugia319's comment as a basis to form your thoughts upon*, since as far as i can see they seem to have an overly negative view on things, at least pertaining to byond matters -to what end, i'm not sure- otherwise you might not end up recognising a 'good' game even if it hit you in the face.

I'm interested though, for how long have you been around again, wherein you've noticed this decline, as you put it?
Did you ever leave or have you always been here since you first joined? Finally, is the appearance of a decline necessarily a bad thing? (Or are you referring to a decline in perceived quality as opposed to quantity?).

_______
* Actually i don't see much of a point in taking anyone's comments/votes on this point as any kind of final say or anything, because who are we to know what some random developer might or might not do in the future to bring about a pokemon game you personally think of as "good".
For sure we might have reasoning to accompany our thoughts as to why or why not such a game might yet be made (assuming it hasn't already), but none of that ensures that the person(s) who could potentially create such a game with byond would employ the same reasoning when making their decision to go ahead with it or not.

Eitherway, I ask you: why not just look for people to make great original games in general? Maybe even the next concept to top pokemon, rather than restrict yourself to one field so much as you seem to be doing.
But hey, if that is all you'd rather see, then you can either make it happen, or simply wait and see if others will or won't.
In response to Turboskill
Turboskill wrote:
Hey Lildre970. Just thought i'd jump in here and advise you not to take Lugia319's comment as a basis to form your thoughts upon*, since as far as i can see they seem to have an overly negative view on things, at least pertaining to byond matters -to what end, i'm not sure- otherwise you might not end up recognising a 'good' game even if it hit you in the face.

I'm interested though, for how long have you been around again, wherein you've noticed this decline, as you put it?
Did you ever leave or have you always been here since you first joined? Finally, is the appearance of a decline necessarily a bad thing? (Or are you referring to a decline in perceived quality as opposed to quantity?).

_______
* Actually i don't see much of a point in taking anyone's comments/votes on this point as any kind of final say or anything, because who are we to know what some random developer might or might not do in the future to bring about a pokemon game you personally think of as "good".
For sure we might have reasoning to accompany our thoughts as to why or why not such a game might yet be made (assuming it hasn't already), but none of that ensures that the person(s) who could potentially create such a game with byond would employ the same reasoning when making their decision to go ahead with it or not.

Eitherway, I ask you: why not just look for people to make great original games in general? Maybe even the next concept to top pokemon, rather than restrict yourself to one field so much as you seem to be doing.
But hey, if that is all you'd rather see, then you can either make it happen, or simply wait and see if others will or won't.

Hey man, thanks for the time to actually put some thought into your post :)

-Before I say anything, when I joined byond all I did was play pokemon, nothing else...Well there was a sidescrolling fighting game that I played too.-

To answer your questions
I joined in 2008,I played straight for at least a year before leaving byond and I let it slip my mind until recently (2012). When I came back from my break everything that I used to play was gone, everyone I used to talk to , gone.

The decline.
Well, at least it seems like a decline to me. Usually when I joined a server, of any type, the chat would be filled with people talking to one another/communicating in a way. There would be small communities inside the games community and that was awesome! But now, I can join even the most populated servers and not have one person say a word (Maybe they just don't like me). Servers(Pokemon servers) arent as populated as they used to be. All the games are dying down and it just seems like everything's falling apart. It might not be a decline in the byond community as a whole but in the pokemon community I see a strong decline :/ ( at least from when I joined)

As stated above, I left for at least a year or two before coming back to check on old friends.

The decline isn't a bad thing really, I feel as though it can be brought up with more advertising and stuff...

Not that there's anything wrong with the current games in byond, trust me they're all great! But it's just the lack of innovation and creativity I would see in older games (Play as pokemon, breeding, quests, treasures).

All this could be just me looking through nostalgia glasses, but it just seemed that the older byond was more fun than what it is now.

The only reason I'd want byond to have a "good" pokemon game is because I want my childhood back :/

Maybe I will start looking at DM but it's just too much for me right now. Maybe I will start making a dream game that everyone can enjoy. Maybe.....

Byond just seems, different now .... Anyways, thanks for that well thought out reply and hope you have a good day :)
In response to Lildre970
Ah, hmm well thanks for your response also, i'm a bit busy at the moment but i understand where you're coming from somewhat clearer now, and yeah i think i've probably noticed a bit of the thing you mention about communities nowadays as opposed to how they might have been back in the day, at least with one or two games i took an absence from before going back to check.

I've also noticed it mentioned/suggested amongst some members, that back in the earlier days of byond (dunno if the period they reference covers the time when you joined, but likewise think the trend still follows) was the time when good games abounded, where a substantial enjoyable experience lay within and, apparently, developers just more successful in their creativity; releasing captivating content at a rate exceeding what it seems people have been capable of nowadays.

Even so though, i hold to the thought that there is enough that has been released here within the last few years that are worth similar respect/notice to the examples i often see cited from earlier periods, notice that sometimes there is a lack of (by both longstanding members of the community and players as well unfortunately for different reasons... if it wasn't the case that such games became lost under the radar/purposefully abandoned or just left without a push by the developers themselves, we would perhaps be having much more of the same kind of thriving and interesting communities in more games like there used to be previously*.)

___
*brb
Edit: Been busy, and tired-ish now, will finish this later or soon, depending :P
Not if I die. they're voting no because they're incapable and know this
In response to Bloo Thang
Bloo Thang wrote:
Not if I die. they're voting no because they're incapable and know this

Well then, We shall do all we can to keep you alive!
OPERATION PROTECT TACO BARN IS A GO!
CEO of BYOND Protection League Inc - lel