In response to Popisfizzy
The majority of people who hate Vista don't even know what DRM is. I'm not saying there are no valid reasons to dislike Vista, and there are a ton of reason to not use it, but I hear at least weekly from someone who "hates" Vista, but has never seen it or touched it. I also know people who hate it because they can't find options they are used to. Sure, some of the changes seem dumb, but they have decided to work in a different interface direction for current and future changes.

So why do you hate the new XBox design? How is it worse than before?
In response to Alathon
He hasn't used the older interface and the new interface, so his opinion is entirely baseless and, therefore, irrelevant.
In response to SuperAntx
And you seemed to have completely dodged my question:

"But how is it horrible? Can you no longer play video games? Did they remove features? Does it take longer to go through the menus? Is it slow and choppy? Is it buggy? Or do you just not like that it has changed?"

I asked that, because I'm perfectly willing to here why you think it is bad, but all you seem to be doing is screaming that you think it is bad.
In response to Alathon
Alathon wrote:
Oh yes. Because you can only have opinions on things you own. So sayeth the manual of arguing!

Most baseless comment in this entire thread, that.

The most baseless comment in this thread was the one you just made. I don't think Daniel.Beta is qualified to have an opinion on the new 360 dashboard since all he's heard about it are regurgitated press releases.

I could also go on to say he's completely ignoring any opposing comments since he's now going on about the blade menu when I clearly said that part was an improvement in my original post.
In response to SuperAntx
SuperAntx wrote:
The new dashboard is garbage and saying people hate change is probably the only defense you could possibly come up for it.

The only complaints I hear revolve around statements like 'avatars are just Mii rip-offs'. That's a fair enough call but I really don't see how people go from disliking the addition of a new option to 'the entire update is garbage, go back to the old one'. This is why the complaints come off as people simply rejecting change.

I'm not saying the NXE changed my life or anything, and I actually quite like the old layout, but the NXE runs smoother, handles everything either just as well or better than the original and has a bunch of new features. The old guide button has been replaced with what's pretty much the entire old dashboard (only it runs a LOT smoother).

We live in the age of updates. You've just got to get used to the idea that fads like Miis can easily move in and out of your consoles OS.

As for hard-drive installations. It's an option. Get over it. Naturally there isn't anything on the market right now that was designed with hard-drive installation in mind. However now the option is open to developers we'll probably start to see proper installation pop-up.

Lets pretend they didn't add the stuff people are complaining about. No avatars, no optional hard-drive installation. There's still a bunch of other new stuff we've been after for ages. How much pain do you feel from slight structural changes and a complete graphic overhaul that you'd turn down group voice-chat and out-of-game parties?
In response to Danial.Beta
It's ugly. Not matter what you use, it appears cluttered. It forces you to use incredibly childish and stupid-looking Miis that, while matching the general theme of the Wii, stick out and are ridiculous on the 360.
In response to Upinflames
I'd like to note, the reason for installing the game is to decrease loading times and reduce the noise of the disc drive(which is rather loud compared to the Wii and PS3). Not so you can play the game without the disc. Game companies would never allow them to do that, because then you could do rent 'n rip, which is a major issue in piracy.
In response to DarkView
DarkView wrote:
but the NXE runs smoother, handles everything either just as well or better than the original and has a bunch of new features.

My 360 takes 3-4 seconds longer to initially load the dashboard. Sometimes when bringing the new blade menu up the 360 will freeze for around 10 seconds. It's only happened four times but it's enough to be extremely irritating.

As for hard-drive installations. It's an option.

Yes, it is an option but that's not the point. What sucks about it is you must still have the disk in the 360 to play an installed game. You could say it's to stop piracy, but pirates are already playing burned games on modded 360's.

Lets pretend they didn't add the stuff people are complaining about. No avatars, no optional hard-drive installation. There's still a bunch of other new stuff we've been after for ages. How much pain do you feel from slight structural changes and a complete graphic overhaul that you'd turn down group voice-chat and out-of-game parties?

I would be happy if they did something about the menu load time rather than giving it a cosmetic change. The new voice chat and parties are awesome, I never said they weren't. They would have fit in perfectly fine with the old menu though.

There's also the new Netflix thing. I personally don't use Netflix so I don't really care about it. I don't have a home theater and the only movies Netflix has are DVD releases. It's just another thing which turns a game console into a home entertainment center.

I believe Penny-Arcade put it best when they said most of the new features were just noise. For example, now instead of scrolling through a clean and efficient buddy list you scroll through a bunch of Mii's while trying to figure out which are sleeping and which are awake.
In response to Popisfizzy
The blades were extremely cluttered before, that's one thing I did know about the old system(what little bit I did use a 360, I was very annoyed at the cluttered interface).

Yeah, I'm not saying the Mii ripoffs were a good idea, but something tells me you can ignore them without it affecting you in the least. They are useless, just as the Miis are, and the Playstation Home avatars will be, but house moms and little kids seem to love them, so I guess Microsoft thought it might help sell their console. At least they aren't charging $0.99 for avatar pictures anymore(well, they probably are, but I suppose that's a rant for another day)

I just looked through a few screenshot tours, and it looks like the "NXE" is almost exactly the same interface as the PS3's XMB, only rotated 90 degrees and a bunch of color added. And if that's the case, great, because the XMB is great for lots of content. The XMB has 7 main items by default, which would be pretty crowded on the XMB, and if they felt the need to add anymore, there would be no room for content. From the looks of the NXE, it wouldn't matter if you had 5 or 100 items in the main menu, they would all take up less than 1/3 of the screen, allowing you to scroll easily. Although nobody is denying that 100 items would be a pain.

I don't think it looks ugly either. I'm not a fan of the art style, but I'm not a fan of the Vista art style, or the OSX art style. But I wouldn't call any of them ugly. That, however, is a mater of opinion, and something we can freely disagree on. I would, however, say that I think that the blades were horrible design, and not particularly aesthetically pleasing. Once again, I will concede that this is a mater of opinion, and have no problems with people disagreeing.

But, you stated that it was "awful". Does having an ugly interface with pointless Mii's make it awful? What about all the good that came with it? Is that irrelevant? Is a package with a broken watch and a diamond in it worthless because it has a broken watch in it?
In response to SuperAntx
There you go, listing some real problems with it. Is there a support line or bug report feature you can use to tell them your problem? This is a new update, and I'm sure they want to know why it isn't acting right for you(DarkView doesn't seem to have the same problem, so it looks like it might not like your hardware)

The point in the harddrive installs is to reduce the load time and quiet the disc drive. You must still have the CD for the same reason most PC games require a CD(I know, easily patched on a PC), to prevent rent, rip, and returning and installing a game then handing the CD to your friend. I've put a PS3 and 360 side by side and the 360's disc drive is a lot louder. I'm glad they've finally done something about it.

Forcing you to use the Mii things to select your friends is silly. A simple list is better. Even Second Life has a friends list, not a friends lobby. Although I would think testing would have shown that it is hard to use. Sure there isn't a way to pull up a list, or perhaps turn off the Miis?

As for the console as a media device: The PS3 is kicking its butt in the media device section. The PS3 is a great device to load your music and movies on, and it is selling consoles for them. Microsoft wanted to show that they could be used for that too. Is netflix a main slowing down your scrolling? Or is it just another item in the media section? As long as it isn't in your way, it can be ignored. I do kinda wish the PS3 had netflix, as I do use my PS3 as a media device, even though it is only hooked up to my TV, not a stereo system or anything. The browser doesn't work great for sites like Hulu yet though.
Danial.Beta wrote:
I don't have a 360, so I can't know exactly how the flow has changed, but as I've read, the blade system didn't scale at all, so they've changed the interface to be able to have more features without crowding the interface to the point where your main content has no room left.

ALBOKIADT
In response to PirateHead
English please.
A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing. (ALBOKIADT)
In response to SuperAntx
SuperAntx wrote:
My 360 takes 3-4 seconds longer to initially load the dashboard. Sometimes when bringing the new blade menu up the 360 will freeze for around 10 seconds. It's only happened four times but it's enough to be extremely irritating.

The initial load may be longer, I haven't timed it because to be honest by the time I've found my stereo remote the XBOX is fully loaded. I've always complained about load times. Even two seconds is too much. Booting however doesn't bother me*. It's pre-game so it's not interrupting anything.
As for my initial statement I was referring to hitting the guide button. With the old layout, on every XBOX 360 I used, it would take about a second to come up after I hit the button. It was sluggish. Then when moving around it would constantly lag behind. If I went to friends it would pause for about half a second before bringing up the list.
The new guide seems to run smoother in those areas.

Yes, it is an option but that's not the point. What sucks about it is you must still have the disk in the 360 to play an installed game. You could say it's to stop piracy, but pirates are already playing burned games on modded 360's.

You can never stop piracy. It's going to happen. You could pirate games on the N64 and you could pirate games on the Dreamcast. The difference, all that was required for Dreamcast piracy was a burnt copy of the game.
Not requiring the disc for play is just stupid. Who in their right mind expected that? This isn't even a case where the PC market set you up to fall.
The only thing I can think of is that you could have thought they'd sign games to gamer tags, which would result in a far larger and more legitimate outcry the day people realized they couldn't resell their games.

I would be happy if they did something about the menu load time rather than giving it a cosmetic change. The new voice chat and parties are awesome, I never said they weren't. They would have fit in perfectly fine with the old menu though.

There's also the new Netflix thing. I personally don't use Netflix so I don't really care about it. I don't have a home theater and the only movies Netflix has are DVD releases. It's just another thing which turns a game console into a home entertainment center.

I'm normally against or indifferent to blurring the line between console and media center. In this case I'm indifferent (although Netflix doesn't operate in Australia, so I don't have much choice). As long as it doesn't get in the way I don't care and I really don't see why anyone would.

For example, now instead of scrolling through a clean and efficient buddy list you scroll through a bunch of Mii's while trying to figure out which are sleeping and which are awake.

This is probably the best argument against it I've heard. I don't have any problems with it myself (maybe I'm just more laid back) but I can see why that would be a bit of an annoyance.
I can't remember off the top of my head, but doesn't the friends list on the guide button work exactly the same as the old method?

*There is one exception. The original Playstation was just ridiculous. It wasn't so much booting as trying to burn the Playstation logo into your brain.
Danial.Beta wrote:
As for the console as a media device: The PS3 is kicking its butt in the media device section.

It's actually not that big a difference anymore. Ages ago they updated it so that it was on par with the PS3 as far as media file compatibility goes. File sharing through Windows Media player works a little better than the PS3 (I'd be shocked if it didn't =P). It still can't read an audio/video stream, but I don't think the PS3 can either.
Blu-ray is a serious advantage as far as media goes, but people haven't really taken to it properly yet. Nexflix counters it a little, but I doubt it'll be long before Sony catch up with that.

Can the PS3 handle streaming/podcasting (audio or video)? I'd really like it if Microsoft set that up next.
No, the interface itself is awful. It's cluttered to hell and just doesn't look good. They should at least give an option to continue using the previous interface, because it worked well enough. And you can't ignore the Miis because those god damned little monstrosities look at you no matter where you go in the interface. There is no way to turn them off, and their large and stand just barely right of the center of the screen.
In response to DarkView
It's not so much that PS3 is better, but rather that people see it as better. The PS3's interface was geared to media, and was very easy to use to browse lots of music and videos. From everything I've seen the 360 didn't look as nice before, but now it seems to at least match the PS3 in media browsing interfaces. The function is nearly identical, with a few exceptions being: Every PS3 has a HDD, so everyone who owns one can use it for media. The PS3 has a Blu-Ray drive built in. The PS3 has a browser which can now do full screen flash video.

It can't do podcasting, nor streaming radio(well, it can with DNLA server hacks, but those apply to the 360 as well). I really, really, want a podcasting client for my PS3, as I watch a lot of video podcasts, and I'd love it if they were loaded on my PS3 automatically. It is logical for them to do podcasts, but they haven't worked it in yet. The RSS reader, which came to the PS3 and PSP nearly a year ago still wont take any feeds besides the official playstion one(the PSPs can do any RSS feed -_-)
Page: 1 2