ID:182286

I LOVE IT! I played it for 22 hours straight with a handful of ten minute breaks and a couple brownies.

~Kujila
I refuse to buy it until EA make it good scale back the crazy DRM on it.

Well, and make it good I guess.
In response to Hazman
They did scale it back. Originally it was supposed to prevent you from installing it more than 3 times, and dial home every few weeks. Now, as I understand it, it does a dial home on install, and never again after that. And there is no limit on the number of installs. That's a good bit scaled back.
In response to Danial.Beta
I've seen nothing official which says they've removed the 3 activation limit. Of course, a lack of DRM transparency is not exactly old news for EA, considering they delete DRM related threads on their forum and rumour has it they have contacted vendors and instructed them to remove critical consumer reviews from their websites.

[EDIT] Additionally, that 'every few weeks' was originally 10 days, now it 'only' dials home when you use it online, i.e. always.
In response to Hazman
Ah, a troll reply! :P

Well I installed it originally pirated, then went out and bought it, and used that key. I see no DRM installing, and I've installed it on a bit more than 3 machines. DRM is like the dark-meat on Turkey; nobody really likes it, but you still eat the turkey. Imagine on Thanksgiving: "THIS TURKEY HAS DARK MEAT, I REFUSE TO EAT THIS TURKEY BECAUSE OF THIS DARK MEAT" The only DRM I actually see is that it doesn't allow you to share creatures without a valid CDKEY.

I recall a similar discussion about SPORE DRM completely derailing another SPORE thread here on BYOND, so go bump that one or whatnot ^^;

~Kujila
In response to Hazman
Considering the game automatically propagates your creations online, I would be shocked if a developer DIDN'T put a copy protection device on it for piracy purposes.

This is the same as, let's say, Counter-Strike Source attempting to validate your Steam account whilst playing in order to keep piracy down.

Do you object to that?

~Kujila
In response to Kujila
No, I don't object to Steam because I can install CS:S on as many computers as I want, and then play it from any of those computers. The authentication system isn't at fault here, but the install limit - and apart from your story of installing it on multiple computers, I haven't heard of anyone legally circumventing or removing the install limit.
And with regards to your turkey comment in your other post, no, I don't eat the turkey. I wait for the game company to breed me a turkey which doesn't have any dark meat on it. I pirated Bioshock until I heard that the install limit had been removed, and then I bought it. I pirated X2 until Deep Silver released an official 'cracked' EXE, and then I bought it.
In response to Hazman
HAZMAN: SecuROM is software.

Just delete it from "C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\Application Data\SecuROM" and use a SPORE No-CD Crack, which are readily available even now (I use one).

I understand being passionate about anti-DRM, but will you let that stop you from enjoying a game you want to play? Do you want to play it? I would assume so due to the amount of time you spent in the last SPORE thread.

So just download it already, use like Direct2Drive or something, and crack it, then remove SecureROM. REAALLY don't want SecureROM on your machine? Go buy the game, download a pirate (don't ban me over this) DVD that has SecureROM removed, use the CDKey from the copy you purchased, and install and no-cd crack it from there. Badda bing.

Hazman wrote:
And with regards to your turkey comment in your other post, no, I don't eat the turkey. I wait for the game company to breed me a turkey which doesn't have any dark meat on it.

Hazman, I wasn't referring to a game company. I was referring to an actual turkey on Thanksgiving; would you eat the Turkey even if it has dark meat in it?

~Kujila
In response to Kujila
Kujila wrote:
would you eat the Turkey even if it has dark meat in it?

I'm against cannibalism, but for the sake of argument I'll dig because it's just an analogy (albeit a poor one. How could you! What'd Turkish people ever do to you?).

Yes, I would eat the Turkey, but next year I wouldn't be buying it from the same vendor no matter how much they boast about their quality.

DRM has it's limits, and once the line has been crossed it will start to annoy others. Having to input a serial key is one thing, but having an application "phone home" at random intervals just because it wants to is against the rules: you are not permitted to use any of the users' services without permission, for one thing.
I've played it within realistic bounds (:P) and love it so far. I must have played for about 6 hours yesterday, and 4-5 today, and I just finished civilization!* I certainly wouldn't mind going through another time or two!

*I could have finished civilization in an hour if I realized how spice mines (they go down in value apparently >_>) and factories etc. work (I thought putting entertainment by them was a good thing until I read up on it...).
In response to Jeff8500
Great game but the stages go to fast i am already up to Space and i have only played for about 4 hours Space is ok not great but i have yet to explore much of that.
In response to A.T.H.K
1) What difficulty?
2) Did you pay attention to any instructions?

I've played for about maybe 10-20 hrs so far, and I'm not too far into space; I spent maybe two hours in it or something.
In response to Jeff8500
I "beat" the game, and found the space stage to be fun, but the constant pestering by allies left me very, very annoyed. While trying to expand, terraform, and win, I was pestered non-stop about planets of allies being attacked, as if they couldn't handle it themselves once in a while.

I played it on easy, because I wasn't playing Spore for a challenge, I was playing it to zone out. It's pretty good for that. It's almost a web 2.0 status checking simulator when you hit the space stage. You can spend hours clicking through planets/sites checking up on statuses, while really gaining nothing but useless information.
In response to Danial.Beta
Danial.Beta wrote:
but the constant pestering by allies left me very, very annoyed.

This is why i got join alliances i just kill everything in my path, i was also playing on easy and since i never played the creature creator i had no clue my SPOREzillas turn out "funky" also i wasn't playing for a challenge i would rather just mess around.
I like it a lot. I'm more of a creator than a player, though.

I've got a couple species in the space phase.

My favourite species is the "Vardan". I've made a lot of cool stuff for them.

Check it out:

http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=ssc-500043230305

Though, I don't understand why one of them seems to be created by "Tethys84" (I think he uploaded it as his own.)

I really hate the content thieves on Spore.