ID:1823115

Today, I wanted to wear a tie. Then I realized I needed to know how to tie a tie if I wanted to wear the tie I had bought.
Lesson learned: You have to learn how to use the stuff you buy in order to use it. After standing in front of the mirror for 30 minutes I think I finally got it somewhat mastered.

Today, I walked into Starbucks without my wallet.
Lesson learned: You need your wallet when you walk into Starbucks because your wallet has your money in it and money is what you have to give to the cashier if you want their ham-egg-swiss sandwich. It was freaking delicious by the way.

Today, I found out what a diacritic was.
Lesson learned: It's pronounced "poh-kay-mon", not "poh-kee-mon". I've been using the latter pronunciation for almost 2 decades. SMH.

Today, it was 80 degrees, and I was very hot.
Lesson learned: Check the forecast to determine whether or not you should wear a short sleeve or a long sleeve with an undershirt.

Every day is a learning experience.
EmpirezTeam wrote:
Lesson learned: It's pronounced "poh-kay-mon", not "poh-kee-mon". I've been using the latter pronunciation for almost 2 decades. SMH.

An understandable mistake if you didn't watch the anime. But everybody watched the anime.
In response to Fugsnarf
Fugsnarf wrote:
EmpirezTeam wrote:

An understandable mistake if you didn't watch the anime. But everybody watched the anime.

What anime?
Funny story, I never got taught to tie a tie by my father growing up. The man was a lot like me in some ways. He'd do something for you and expect that you'd watch and learn it in the first go. He was fairly emotionally distant my entire life, and quite frankly he was again, like me, a perfectionist and completely absorbed in his work. I never really had a lot of father-son bonding growing up. My parents always treated me like an adult from the time I was 8, and it definitely shaped the way I interact with people.

I got into the military and having never learned to tie my own ties, I about had an anxiety attack trying to get my dress uniform on for the first time.

My drill instructor actually taught me the four-in-hand knot in the dayroom the day before graduation. It was a really surreal experience, first of all because I was the only non-MP trainee in my entire flight. My DIs were both former MPs, and I was a linguist trainee. MPs hate intel. MPs also make fun of anybody that uses multisyllabic words and anything above basic grunts and hand gestures to communicate, so they spent the entire time I was in basic making fun of me for my diction and intelligence, including giving me incredibly overcomplicated tasks and writing instructions for me having obviously used a thesaurus to find archaic and obscure words just to see if I could get the tasks they left for me done without asking for clarification on what a word meant.

Luckily, I'm a natural linguist, so they had a hard time stumping me when it came to vocabulary. This didn't make them like me more. In fact, it made them try harder to fuck me up.

Anyway, it was a completely surreal experience, having my TI teach me to tie a tie, because he completely broke character and treated me like I assume a normal father would treat his son when passing on knowledge regarding the things a man should know to get on in life.

But then after I got the four in hand knot down, I looked into his eyes with tears welling up in my own and asked: "How can I repay you for this?". He looked back at me, obviously choked up and said: "I need about a tree fiddy.". It was about that time that I noticed that this DI was about 8 stories tall and was a crustacean from the planet Olgair. I said: "Damn it, Loch Ness monster, I'm not giving you a damn cent!".

Good times, the military.
In response to Ter13
Best story NA
There's an accent on the e. Why would you pronounce it kee?
In response to Lugia319
Lugia319 wrote:
There's an accent on the e. Why would you pronounce it kee?

Maybe you missed the part where I stated I just learned what a diacritic was. I was never taught this in school and never cared to find out what it meant - to be honest I just assumed it was simply the way other people wrote their e's. The same way Chinese people don't seem to write letters at all, just squiggly or slanted lines on top of each other.
I always thought it was poh-kee-man.
In response to Suicide Shifter
Suicide Shifter wrote:

Get out.
In response to EmpirezTeam
EmpirezTeam wrote:
Suicide Shifter wrote:

Get out.

But I'm learning valuable life lessons..