I Made A Dungeon!

by Hedgemistress
Rogue-like action! Child-like graphics!
ID:1823704

Pictured: An acid mire.

So, in addition to adding labels to the exit buttons in the town (h/t Zecronius for suggesting the need), the newest update adds more complications to the dungeon architecture in the form of pits of liquid: water, acid, and lava. Water is harmless, and in fact you can move freely through it right now while most monsters will avoid it, so it can be an advantage. Lava and acid both do environmental damage.

Environmental damage is proc'd only when you enter a new turf (and only the first time in a single tick, so you don't get double-dipped if you're on the line between turfs)... I will add a timer that does environmental damage at intervals when you're not moving, but I'm not going to bother until I iron out the details of how exactly it should work.

I've also made such complications slightly more common. They increase in frequency the farther down you go; my initial math was based on the idea of very deep dungeons, which results in very boring initial levels. The production version of the map generator will let the host determine complication frequency and other such variables, so if you want to make a single level dungeon that's just jam packed with challenges you can.

This update also includes a generalized magic item system, where items (so far, weapons and rings) have a chance of generating with one or more random /enchantment/ datums attached. These enchantments can do anything from altering the basic stats of a weapon to making it deadlier to certain enemies. Note that enchantments are pretty rare. As I add more to the game, there will be more ways of getting them.

Damage types and resistances are also a thing. You might find that vampires are a bit harder to kill with ordinary metal weapons, though they are vulnerable to wood, fire, and silver. There aren't any silver weapons in the game yet, but one of the possible enchantments (lunar) makes a weapon count as silver in addition to its normal material type.

Thieves are a bit less underpowered now, as more of their special abilities dealing with their weapons (so far, daggers and stakes count as thief weapons) are in paly. Stealth has been reconjiggered. There's no cool down, you just can't hide if there are more enemies in the room than you have levels of thief. There is a warm-up period from the time you hit H until you actually hide, based on results of ongoing Stealth checks. M

(Until I add a way to personalize your attributes, more thief levels == moar Stealth.)

I did have to wipe the character files accumulated over the past few days, as the item architecture changed significantly. However, leveling is slightly faster as it no longer resets your XP when you hit a new level.
vampires need life steal

im not playing this game until vampires get life steal
Life steal? Pffffffft. Vampires are going to have enthrall, minion summoning, an exit-blocking fog spell, and the ability to create vampire spawn out of slain PCs.
Your progress on this project is amusing to track - please keep it up! :)
Looks cool :)