ID:1824447

Resolved
Text would "jump" in output when scrolled to the bottom, when old lines were removed.
BYOND Version:507
Operating System:Windows 10 Pro Technical Preview - Build 10049
Web Browser:
Applies to:Dream Seeker

This issue has been resolved.
Descriptive Problem Summary:The text in the output will be scrolled up partially automatically just by receiving new messages into the output window...

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:1.Make a new project, no map or anything is required.

2.Add the code below.

3.Macro it for faster results.

4.Pay attention to the output because after the textbox is filled with lines, and must start getting rid of some of the previous lines above, it will just start jumping randomly...by jumping up I mean it will be scrolled past the last line, and hitting to scroll down acts like scroll up because it's further than it can ever scroll normally so it jumps back to where it should be...but it's annoying i'm trying to read new text or just a few messages back it jumps almost a full screen up, making it impossible to read the text.

Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:
mob
verb
Spam()
for(var/i=1 to 10)
world<<"This is a spam output test."

Expected Results:It stays scrolled to the bottom unless I scroll up manually...

Actual Results:It bugs and scrolls past the bottom so I have to scroll up so it's scrolled only TO the bottom and not PAST IT.

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often?Every Time
In other games?Yes
In other user accounts?Yes
On other computers?Yes

When does the problem NOT occur?Always

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.)
Untested

Workarounds:Don't output enough total text to the output control for it to overflow? Or clear the text every once in a while.

NOTE: The INFO tab must be clicked for this to re-produce on my machine, if you click TEXT only it doesn't seem to do it...this is using the default interface...
I'm really having trouble following your description. It's falling short on clarity for me. Can you break that down a little more?

Also I need to know: Is it any relation to id:1811564? And what exact 507 version are you using, because you didn't include that in your report.
It's not like the other one at all...

I'm using 507.1279 but it's been happening for a LOOONG time.

I'm not even attempting to scroll when my output scrolls all by itself...

***You know how when your scrolled to the bottom of an output, you can't scroll anymore than that...? It's pretty obvious why, and there's no reason to scroll any further...

However when I receive enough messages to the output it will scroll further than you can scroll normally by scrolling down...USING ANY METHOD.

I don't know if scrolling to keep the last message in view as you receive them or deleting messages above had to be added by BYOND or is built into the control by windows itself...but something is making it scroll past 100%.

A possibility is maybe it scrolled down to the bottom to keep the last message in view but hadn't yet updated or something to get rid of the messages at the top...since it can only hold so much text...when it fills up *the text at the top starts to disappear...*

That happens when it gets to about 1,000 lines in my testing it starts to remove lines at the top of the output from view, I assume to make room for more, so it can handle it.
Descriptive Problem Summary:

I'm not entirely sure which version introduced this problem, but the problem is *NOT* present in 506.1250; it's definitely present in the most recent version, though (507.1286).

In short, at times, the text displayed in the chat box will just jump upward at seemingly random times. This leaves a large blank area where there's no text. New text logged will start at the top of the chat area and continue to fill the screen as normal.

This seems to be tied to the amount of text displayed or how often new text is generated; the more players that are on, on a server (or the amount of logs generated) seems to exacerbate this issue.

On the whole, it makes conversing or even keeping up with attack logs rather difficult, especially during busy times, as the text will just jump upwards.

In response to Fox P McCloud
I think there's an existing report for this; it's because of some changes to the richedit control in the newer compiler. I've seen this happen as well and will be looking into it.

This isn't random; it happens when old text is removed from the control.
Oki doke. Thanks Lummox; it's much appreciated.
May I inquire as to the progress on this? It's most definitely still present in .1289.

I apologize if it seems like I'm being a pest here, it's just that there's quite a few very high priority fixes in the latest few version of BYOND, but the text issues make administration very inconvenient.
I haven't looked at it but it's on my short list. I'll see if I can sneak a fix into 508.1290 if there's time.
Lummox JR resolved issue with message:
Text would "jump" in output when scrolled to the bottom, when old lines were removed.
Don't actually believe this is resolved; just came out of administrating a game (I've updated to 1290, of course), and text is most definitely still jumping up.
Hrm. It was working in my own tests. Can you provide any more info, like the max-lines in the output control or the type of output done in it?
Aw, shoot. Found out that I didn't check this in properly and it actually didn't end up in the build. I'll bump this fix to 508.1291.
oh no! Darn it! Heheheh. Thanks though!
This appears to have been fixed in 1291. Thank you very much, Lummox!