I Made A Dungeon!

by Hedgemistress
Rogue-like action! Child-like graphics!
ID:1824502

Okay, so after considering that a big part of the appeal of a game like this is the unique combinations of loot, I loosened the purse strings a little when it comes to the treasure generator. Once you get a level or two down in the dungeon you start finding more interesting things.

I realized that having an elemental rock/paper/scissors system for weapon enhancements wasn't very interesting if you couldn't see what elements are being used, so I added particle trails to weapons, which turned into adding a small hit effect, which turned into adding blood effects.

In short: each time it moves, an attack that has particles has a chance to generate a particle where it is. It will never generate more than one particle per move segment, but if it has more types of particles available the chance goes up. So if you have a caustic sword of fire, with the particle types of acid and fire, you will have more total particles than a caustic sword or a flaming sword.

When an attack hits an enemy, it generates a particle burst (if the attack has particles) and a blood burst (if the target has "blood", though even skeletons generate white chips). To keep overhead low and in keeping with the simplistic style, the bursts are just 4 or 8 particles moving in the major directions.

When you hit a target, there is a chance that it will add a stream of blood particles to your attack. This chance is based on the type of weapon used and your character class (thieves using small edged weapons create more blood).

There was already something satisfying about the little splat icon slimes leave behind for a corpse. Now that they also spatter blood particles of their own color when hit, it's even better.

The final major change this morning is to dragons. Some players had noted that because their attacks were generated in the southwest corner square that they occupy (their official location, according to the code), it was easy to kill them if you just danced around the other sides.

Well, the game now centers attacks when they come from bigger enemies. I also took this opportunity to begin adding a special attack system for enemies. I already had dragons making a tri-directional attack, but it was just the default unarmed attack. Now their attacks have longer reach, a flaming appearance, and they trail smoke and fire.

(Right now all dragons are fire dragons, but now that I have a way to visually distinguish elemental attacks, I'm going to branch them out some soon.)