ID:1824571

(See the best response by Ter13.)
Hello all, I just had a quick question about map layout, and screen wrapping.

Problem description:
I wouldn't really call this a problem, more of a question to ask for a more efficient way. I am trying to animate my battleground, the BG is 512x256 and the animation runs the entire length of the screen. There are 3 tiers of animations on the same screen and each has a different delay. I have found an easier way than what I was going to do, but it still is insanely not efficient. I was going to do a 1 pixel screen wrap then just do the delay for the 3 animations as 4 delay, 2 delay and 1 delay so it gives off the feeling of it being slower. But in doing this it still will need 512 frames which is insane.

So my question is, is there a way to screen wrap through code, or maybe I can make one of the animations a mob and have it do a certain walk path? Because doing 512 screens per 1 pixel seems a.) will cause major lag , and b.) very time consuming.

Thanks in advance.

What is a screen wrap? You are doing that thing again where you are saying a lot of stuff using terminology you haven't established the meaning of to the reader again.

Are you trying to do animated screen wipes prior to a battle sequence?
Scrolling from one side of the screen to the other, essentially wrapping around. http://www.gamasutra.com/db_area/images/feature/3520/ dw2sfc3.png for an example the clouds going from left to right in the sky.
Best response
Oh, nevermind that last post then. You are asking about a parallax.

Basically, what you want to do is create a single image that's the width of the screen. Then pop two of them into the screen. animate() them scrolling in a direction so that they will move to the left their entire width. Once they reach the width of the image in the animation, reset them to position 0 and repeat.
So the animate () essentially creates an image, pushes it in one direction and stops until you reset the location of said image? I will have to read up on the animate () , thank you.