ID:182483

Has anybody done this? I have a package purchased but have no idea on where to start....
Putty can be used to issue command line... commands <.< to a remote linux server
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/

and although you could just use putty to transfer/manage files its a heck of alot easier with winscp
http://winscp.net/eng/index.php
In response to Falacy
Thank you for the links.

Putty seems to do okay for most things. Will try the Winscp link a bit later. Right now I am having problems logging into the ssh root. It keeps rejecting the default password!
In response to Jmurph
If you can't get the password to work, you can always delete the slice and make a new one.
I made a user dir and a byond dir with the unzipped BYOND unix files. However, when I try to make it from my command line (using Putty), it says "-bash: make: command not found".

What am I doing wrong?
In response to Jmurph
Slicehost slices are pretty bare, so you probably need to install make. Do (as root, probably):
apt-get install make
In response to Cinnom
I set up BYOND on the Tibbius slice.
apt-get install make
apt-get install gcc
unzip byond_linux.zip
cd byond
make install

That should about do it, at the end run 'DreamDaemon -version' to verify your installation. If you want things like DMCGI and the sort you're gonna have to install and configure Apache.
In response to Nadrew
Okay, when I try to run DD I receive:

-bash: /home/jmurph/byond/bin/DreamDaemon: Permission denied
In response to Jmurph
chmod +x ~/byond/bin/Dream*

-- Data
In response to Android Data
Wow, now it is saying:
-bash: /home/jmurph/byond/bin/DreamDaemon: No such file or directory

But when I dir, it shows DreamDaemon right there!

WTF?
In response to Jmurph
I only have limited experience, but I think you need to set the source of your BYOND files. Something such as:

source /home/byond/bin/byondsetup
In response to Volte
I have already done that and also added that line to my bash setup script. Strangely, it still doesn't seem to think DD is there.
In response to Jmurph
apt-get install ia32-libs

The slicehost servers are 64-bit, so you need ia32-libs to execute 32-bit programs.
In response to Cinnom
Yep, that was it. Thank you!
In response to Cinnom
Then after this, I got the
'DreamDaemon: error while loading shared libraries: libext.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory'

error.

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/jmurph/byond/bin

fixed that. (Obviously changed for your use.)

Ironically enough, I just set up an account with Slicehost today, and ran into the exact same problems :)
In response to Flick
Heh. I guess now that DigitalBYOND is gone, Slicehost will be getting some BYOND business.

DD seems to be trying to load fine now, but I have yet another issue. Bad world error. I have compiled the world in the WIN build 420.986, so does that make it incompatible with the Unix DD 419.985? Is there any way around this?
In response to Jmurph
Jmurph wrote:
Heh. I guess now that DigitalBYOND is gone, Slicehost will be getting some BYOND business.

There's another alternative popping up soon in the near-future, mainly for the people who just want the hosting and not have to mess around with Linux just to get there.

-- Data
In response to Jmurph
420 games should work in linux 419. Try running some other games. If that doesn't work, there's something wrong with your installation.

Edit: Also check the permissions on the world.dmb to make sure the current user is allowed access to it.
In response to Cinnom
Okay, other dmbs are giving the same error. So remove BYOND an re-install?
In response to Android Data
Android Data wrote:
Jmurph wrote:

There's another alternative popping up soon in the near-future, mainly for the people who just want the hosting and not have to mess around with Linux just to get there.

-- Data

Yeah I know, Nadrew, Mobius and I have been discussing buying another 1GB slice, and allowing people to host games off that. Nadrew was working on a custom control panel in which people can fully control their game without access to the command line while I was working on gathering the necessary funds on purchasing that extra slice for a year.

It might still come to pass, but not until after my vacation.
Page: 1 2