In response to Zasif
Zasif wrote:
This happens when the monitor flickers when opening a game thats in fullscreen mode or windowed fullscreen depends on the game you open, this issue is present if you have 2 monitors aswell. Games that are on Steam for example.

Also can confirm, doesn't have anything to do with fullscreen, but I do run multiple monitors. Sometimes two sometimes three, is this a recurring trend?
I have a feeling that multiple monitors aren't part of the problem, because the rest of the window keeps updating. Also one thing known about this bug is that switching to software rendering and back again doesn't help, and I haven't heard anything to suggest switching modes shows no visible change.

One of the experiments I recommended was to switch to text mode and back. That requires a game that allows you to do this, or at least allows you to use client-side winset commands like this:

.winset ":map.text-mode=true"
.winset ":map.text-mode=false"

The reason for trying that is, it will absolutely force GetMapIcons() to be called with the update parameter set to true. If the map updates or not, that should narrow down where the issue is happening.
Confirming that multiple monitors aren't the issue. I get this bug with one monitor.
i have a feeling that the issue is related to the render context failing, and/or driver related so it might be rendering some faulty data and killing the context? hm hm?
Because switching to software mode doesn't fix it, I don't think that's it.
Didn't realize it happened in software mode too.
Note, in ss13 you might not be able to do lum's commands, but our icon menu will allow you to toggle text mode.

ADMIN LOG: MrStonedOne/(MrStonedOne) set the admin notice.
Admin Notice:

If you get the bug where the map just randomly stops updating but the chat continues to update:

Byond wants to know if toggling text icon mode causes it to fix once triggered so they can narrow down the cause to fix the core issue.

Go to the menu bar in the top left, click icons and click text, repeat to set it back to normal.

Could you then report rather or not this fixed the issue to admins.

OOC: Boredone: Huh, just noticed the admin notice. That usually is the way I fix it when I have that problem, though it hasn't happened for some time.

edit:

OOC: Rev_benji: HEY ADMINS I GOT THE BUG TOGGLING TEXT GETS ME AN UPDATED STILL IMAGE BUT IT STILL FROZEN AFTER THAT.

Thanks! That's extremely helpful info.
Here's where I'm currently at on this:

Since Rev_benji said the map does update with a new picture, that tells me that the map messages are in fact being sent as I suspected, and the map_consistent value is true. Therefore, GetMapIcons() is not being called on each map tick with the update flag like it should be. This narrows down the possibilities.

One of the possibilities is that DrawMap_CIO() is not being called. This is unlikely, because the loop that calls it is definitely running, and the cmap_changed value that controls the call is updated by just about every single map message.

The next most likely possibility is that the loop that updates all the map controls is skipping over the main map. The problem there is, that shouldn't happen if the window the map control is in is visible and non-minimized. But it seems like that logic is the best place to look.
I have a minor logic change here that may help. I can't say for sure, but it's worth a shot.
I've noticed that, once this error occurs, for me at least, if you try to load a stat panel that is listing objects, the game will only display the icons for some of them and seems to stop loading the icons midway through the list.

In our game, we load a set of card objects. The stat panel shows the card's icon with its name next to it. In a set there may be 100 cards but the icons will only load for maybe the first 50-80 of them. The rest will still be there but only their names will be listed.
In response to IceFire2050
IceFire2050 wrote:
I've noticed that, once this error occurs, for me at least, if you try to load a stat panel that is listing objects, the game will only display the icons for some of them and seems to stop loading the icons midway through the list.

In our game, we load a set of card objects. The stat panel shows the card's icon with its name next to it. In a set there may be 100 cards but the icons will only load for maybe the first 50-80 of them. The rest will still be there but only their names will be listed.

Okay, that's a weird one. The items that aren't listed with their icons, are they special in any way? E.g., are they new, or are their icons dynamically generated (even if the others are too)? I'd like to determine if maybe the client is trying to request some data and getting hung up on it.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
IceFire2050 wrote:

Okay, that's a weird one. The items that aren't listed with their icons, are they special in any way? E.g., are they new, or are their icons dynamically generated (even if the others are too)? I'd like to determine if maybe the client is trying to request some data and getting hung up on it.

Nothing special. They're separate states of the same dmi file.

In response to IceFire2050
IceFire2050 wrote:

I think that's unrelated, I can 100% confirm that I don't get whatever you're talking about here when the issue happens to me.
Please make sure to report if this still happens in 509.1313.
Haven't tested the new release but figured I'd give all the info I could
I had it happen to me and had some help getting some info out of it.
I wrote a little script to cycle between text mode/back very quickly(it was horrible, mind you) and it somewhat fixed the issue bizarrely, however no animations ran but thats not entirely unexpected.
The soundsystem stops functioning as well, no sounds will play after the problem occurs. It seems like all appearances are frozen in place, because rightclicking shows the context menu of whats visible in that tile, and clickdragging shows the little "im being dragged!" cursor.
I find it weird that its still properly rendering, but all animations stop, as if it thinks the server has stopped.
Trying 509.1313 now, for some reason i've been having this happen 500x more, but normally, it's when my computer fan kicks in (which tends to slow everything down beacuse i need a new comp)
still happening to me.
I thought it might still happen. It was worth a shot, though. If anyone can get screenshots on what they see post-freeze that might illuminate the problem, that'd be a big help too.

The sound thing is a helpful clue, Somepotato. I'll see what I can find with that.

For all those that are seeing this happen: Are any of you playing multiple games at once? Does this happen only when multiple games are open, or can it happen with just one?
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6