ID:1826319

Wondering why I called it "A Longtime BYONDer's Secret Thread"? Well, I have never officially discussed before on the forums. I have, however, discussed in various chat programs on BYOND such as wiz_chat, Chatters, etc. Some of y'all have already known this secret.

For those who don't know it, I will discuss about it. Autism Awareness Month is this month and I just thought about that I never really discussed my form of autism on the forums before. That I have a case of Asperger's Syndrome. Throughout the years, however, I have gone through several diagnosis. Yep, I am indeed a BYONDer who has Asperger's Syndrome.

Has that stopped me from programming projects for BYOND? Certainly not. In fact, what I'm going to say may be of benefit to all future DM Programmers as well as those who may also have Asperger's Syndrome or other forms of autism. Just because one has a form of autism does not mean dreams cannot be achieved. Have belief in yourself that you could do these things and you will accomplish amazing things.

For those who suffer from any autism-related disorder on here in BYOND, do not let it control you. Overcome it and you will achieve many great things regardless of some drawbacks due to the disorder you have. I understand that there are some who are letting such disorders takeover them and cause trouble in any portion of BYOND.

In order for others to respect you, you should try to respect them in return. Provided that it doesn't involve respecting the wrong crowd. If others have advice for you on how to improve programming ability, pixel art ability, and anything else, you should try to take heed. I myself have learned from various BYONDers throughout the years regardless of learning on my own. When you find someone's advice is helpful, you should be thankful that they have helped.

Autism-related disorders are not an excuse to cause bad behavior. Such behavior is not tolerated anywhere in fact regardless if you have disorder or not. Do not whine or throw tantrums if you got banned for something you have done wrong. If you feel you were wrongly accused, try to discuss it with the BYOND staff and they might be able to help you. In cases like that, there would likely to be proof as not just any word can be taken for it.

As for my experiences on BYOND, I have had really good experiences being around others. While I do occasionally have enemies, this has nothing to do with my disorder. This is more like disagreements with certain views or anything else. While I normally am a loner when it comes to projects, I have worked with others in the past. Various BYONDers to be exact I have worked with on various projects (even those through the C++ programming language or other sources). These BYONDers know who they are.

Excuse me for my long post about this, but I figured I could encourage everyone (including those who share the same or similar disorder as myself) to be great BYONDers.

Feel free to discuss about my post or discuss about certain secrets that you are willing to discuss (make sure to keep certain secrets out though that can be very harmful).

Extra Note: Make sure to keep any discussion at a civil level or it could result in this thread getting closed or removed.
Oh hey Bandock (Makeii here). I don't hear from you much anymore. Then again I don't really hang out in Chatters much anymore. Many of the Chatters folk usually swing by BYOND's IRC channel hosted by Audeuro.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14221897/Web/ BYONDIRC.html

I nod my head to those who open themselves up and feel confident in who they are (without the needless egotism). You are a pioneer of BYOND. Hope you keep programming and I hope to see you on the flip side. Stay safe, man.
In response to Mr_Goober
Mr_Goober wrote:
Oh hey Bandock (Makeii here). I don't hear from you much anymore. Then again I don't really hang out in Chatters much anymore. Many of the Chatters folk usually swing by BYOND's IRC channel hosted by Audeuro.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14221897/Web/ BYONDIRC.html

I nod my head to those who open themselves up and feel confident in who they are (without the needless egotism). You are a pioneer of BYOND. Hope you keep programming and I hope to see you on the flip side. Stay safe, man.

Nice to see you too Makeii. :D

I'll look into participating in that IRC channel. And thank you along with you too. ;)
If you choose not to use KiwiIRC (the browser app that is used in that link), you can plug these into your own IRC client:

IP: irc.audeuro.com
Port: 6667

Every time I would hear from you, you would always say something like "That reminds me something something SByIO lib." lol. Do you still work on it?
In response to Mr_Goober
Mr_Goober wrote:
If you choose not to use KiwiIRC (the browser app that is used in that link), you can plug these into your own IRC client:

IP: irc.audeuro.com
Port: 6667

Every time I would hear from you, you would always say something like "That reminds me something something SByIO lib." lol. Do you still work on it?

Admittedly, I haven't worked on it in a long time. I do hope to fix up the open-sourced version since it still needs quite some fixing since 500 came out.
I'm high-functioning ASD myself, though the challenges that women on the spectrum experience can be greatly different from those of men (including lower incidences of diagnoses). I'm a big proponent of increasing autistic awareness, both for allistics and currently-undiagnosed invidiuals. Unless that message is spread by Autism Speaks -- fuck 'em.

A lot of people blame poor social behavior on being on the spectrum, and while being autistic does heavily influence conduct and while it can be frighteningly, frustratingly difficult to get us to change our mannerisms, many of us can interact with people successfully. And a person who has enough foresight to recognize that their behavior is negatively impacting communication is likely able to correct said behavior. That kind of awareness is more than half of the battle as it is!

I hang out in the IRC channel during weekdays as well, so I am looking forward to speaking with you there.
In response to PixelScientist
PixelScientist wrote:
I'm high-functioning ASD myself, though the challenges that women on the spectrum experience can be greatly different from those of men (including lower incidences of diagnoses). I'm a big proponent of increasing autistic awareness, both for allistics and currently-undiagnosed invidiuals. Unless that message is spread by Autism Speaks -- fuck 'em.

A lot of people blame poor social behavior on being on the spectrum, and while being autistic does heavily influence conduct and while it can be frighteningly, frustratingly difficult to get us to change our mannerisms, many of us can interact with people successfully. And a person who has enough foresight to recognize that their behavior is negatively impacting communication is likely able to correct said behavior. That kind of awareness is more than half of the battle as it is!

I hang out in the IRC channel during weekdays as well, so I am looking forward to speaking with you there.

Yeah, I can say that more males get diagnosed with some form of autism than females (as I was in a social class full of males at one point). However, I actually have gone to school with a few females who also have an ASD (normally Asperger's Syndrome for such cases).

And alrighty in response to the IRC channel.