ID:1828595

BYOND Version:507
Operating System:Windows 7 Ultimate
Web Browser:Chrome 41.0.2272.101
Applies to:Dream Seeker

Thus far we've been unable to verify or reproduce this bug. Or, it has been observed but it cannot be triggered with a reliable test case. You can help us out by editing your report or adding a comment with more information.
Descriptive Problem Summary:

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:

from documentation on animate():

These vars can be changed, but will change immediately on each step rather than smoothly:

icon_state

Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:
animate(src,icon_state="herp",time=5)
animate(icon_state="derp",alpha=0,time=10)

Expected/Actual Results:

Immediately, the icon_state should be "herp", and after 5 ticks, the icon_state should change to "derp". However, icon_state immediately switches to "derp" without playing "herp" at all on the first step.

It should be noted as well that on the server, the icon_state immediately switches to the final icon_state in the animation regardless of the time of the step. I don't know if the server behavior is intended, but I would argue that the docs indicate that this is not intended behavior.

Also, it should be noted that I'm using repeat-once animations. I don't think it makes a difference, though, and animate() is just straight broken in terms of icon_states.
Lummox JR changed status to 'Unverified'
I tried this (with longer times so it'd be clearer) and was unable to verify your result. The icon_state changed both times. I also made sure to fade out on the second step in case that was relevant.

However, if you observed this when running in DS (not hosting in DD) in 1280, then it's just another duplicate report of Lexy's bug. (It's the bug that keeps on giving!)