ID:1828681

Resolved
animate() can now be used with clients for limited values such as pixel offsets.
Applies to:DM Language

This issue has been resolved.
please let animate work for client pixel_x, and y

currently only works for atoms, dont believe client is atom

i would like to use your beautiful animate() for slick camera movements without some awful server-side stuff
I'm not sure how feasible this is because of the way client pixel offsets impact the camera, but I'll see what I can find out. If nothing else it seems reasonable that the pixel offsets could change once per tick on the server end automatically without user intervention, avoiding the need for soft code to do it.
Yes +++++++!
Lummox JR resolved issue with message:
animate() can now be used with clients for limited values such as pixel offsets.
Superb! I can do a ton with this, such as the obvious screen shake, and make it so that with pixel movement, players don't have to move every world.tick_lag because I can have the camera animate() with them, emulating smooth movement even in low FPS (set world.tick_lag to 60 FPS, create a new server.tick_lag variable/define) situations. Basically, the server can process commands every 20 FPS while the client runs at 60 FPS. Looking forward to 509!
Holy crap! This is GLORIOUS! I can now rewrite my entire screen shake effect to be client-side.
I haven't dealt with the fact that the map "overflow" has to be adjusted in the process; that's kind of a harder issue, although I intend to try to address it eventually. But it should at least be enough to do cool shake effects and such.

The main reason I added it, though, was because it didn't make much sense to add client.color without animation too.
The main reason I added it, though, was because it didn't make much sense to add client.color without animation too.

Client.color? Do you want to be my personal Jesus, because this is how you become my personal Jesus.
That's fantaaaastic.
In response to Ter13
Yes, I'm working on adding client.color into the mix. It mostly falls out of the color matrix stuff pretty handily, although I need to add an appearance flag to override it.
You think the first 509 beta will be ready by the time GIAD 2015 rolls around (The end of September)?
In response to Ter13
Yes.
What does client.color effect? The actual viewport of the game? For things such as fading effects, so I don't have to draw a transparent atom accross the screen?
My plan is that client.color is an after-effect color or color matrix that will be applied to all icons on the main map (never secondary maps), except when explicitly overridden with an appearance flag.

Unlike regular color matrices it will not include any alpha components, and will be strictly rgb. (Alpha makes no sense in this context.) It should be able to do a number of cool effects.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
Lummox JR resolved issue with message:

This is awesome news! I'm not sure how client.color works but I'm excited to see that also.

Edit: If you're able to tackle the large objects and turfs disappearing from the client's view, DM would be PERFECT!