ID:183020

I am trying to find some Ram to install into my desktop PC and have found a plethora of what I wanted. However, the speed of the Ram is unknown to me. Does it matter what speed of Ram I choose?

George Gough
Hey,

Well to find out the speed you should first find out what kind of RAM your have first. Once you open your computer look here: http://www.freebsddiary.org/images/dual-opteron/large/ dual-opteron-mb-ram.jpg

It should be located in between two pins. Just look at the link i posted you. ^^

Now once you find your RAM and find out what type it is and what king of Pin it has google the compnay name. For Example: My ram is Kingsford. The Pin is 3200. So i will Google search Kingsford RAM. But dont type in the pin. Once you get a suitable webaite look for the Ram with the same pin as yours. Now Me personally, I would go for A 1 gig card of ram or 512. Dont get anything lower because they tend to be lower speeds. Also if you look at the lovcal stores like CompUSA or Staples, they tend to have great deals sometimes on ram and computer upgrades. So just do the things i just told you and shoot for a 1 gig card.. THEY ARE GREAT!! Hope that answers your question

Sincerely,
Sheik113
In response to Sheik113
Thanks for the help. I found a 2GB Ram product and will buy it tomorrow.

George Gough
In response to KodeNerd
It will matter what speed you have. Your best bet is to find and read the manual that came with your motherboard. It will tell you the most amount of ram your computer will support, as well as the speed, and directions on installing it.

You can find the manual on the manufacturers website. If you can't find the model number of your motherboard when you look at it, you can use this program to find out what your model number is:

http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/Everest_Home/ 1086844970/1

Lastly, I wouldn't buy ram at compusa or best buy, their "deals" are normally much more expensive than normal price on newegg.com
In response to KodeNerd
If your motherboard supports dual-channel RAM, then you're better off getting two sticks of dual-channel RAM (they almost always come in a package) that are 1GB each, instead of one 2GB stick. Also make sure you install them correctly.

Also: check the timing, frequency, and power usage of your RAM when you get it. You'll want to go into your BIOS to make those settings (you have to do it manually). DEFINITELY make sure that your RAM is getting enough power: if it isn't, you're going to get memory errors, which will crash your computer. Setting all the settings correctly, though, can improve the speed of your RAM and - as a result - pretty much your whole computer. Provided you get good, fast RAM, of course.