ID:183025

Just sitting at my computer working with office 2007 and i suddenly wondered how would the community deal with a fan game of an original byond game, such as a fan game of Lode wars or SS13 or something.

Rip? or something else?
Why should we have a fan game of a game that is still actively played? Both games are nearly perfect.
In response to Calus CoRPS
Calus CoRPS wrote:
Why should we have a fan game of a game that is still actively played? Both games are nearly perfect.

Indeed but both ss13 code is lost but do you think if a player was to recreate the game as a fan game would you think its a rip. The games without sources.
In response to Yorae
I would call it either a remake or sequel.
In response to Yorae
Why not make a game similar to it, personally I rather play the original as it probaly will be better than someone else remaking it. Also remaking ss13 isn't as easy as you may think.
Never said it was...
In response to Shlaklava
Remakes and sequels are made by the owner of the original, just like with a book.
It's harder than you'd think to cram so much poor design, terrible interface, and slow code into one game.
In response to Garthor
I never said i wanted to make a game at all i just wondered what would the community think of a byond fan game, fan game..
In response to Yorae
Yorae wrote:
I never said i wanted to make a game at all i just wondered what would the community think of a byond fan game, fan game..

People may not think much about it, they still would rather play the original than a remake. Look at SS14 by Android Data for example.
Calus CoRPS wrote:
Look at SS14 by Android Data for example.

For the record, this game was neither a remake nor a sequel- it was a fan-game based on SS13 I had made a few years back meant to teach griefers how to role-play properly.

-- Data
In response to Shlaklava
Shlaklava wrote:

...perhaps he could make a prequel?
In response to Shlaklava
Shlaklava wrote:

Better yet, a re-imagining..
In response to Evil-Inuyasha
Evil-Inuyasha wrote:
Shlaklava wrote:

...perhaps he could make a prequel?

How about a parallelquel?

I just made that word up.
In response to Garthor
Garthor wrote:
How about a parallelquel?

I just made that word up.

Dropping the final L to make "parallequel" has a nice ring to it. "par-A-leh-kwul"