ID:1830945

So I have an action adventure game, and I'm curious what type of "non action" related elements I can add into the game, more like mini-games or other tasks that don't involve confrontation, combat or questing for when players would like to wind down.

Any ideas?
Ideas thus far:
  • Farming
  • Pets
  • Fishing-Just a fishing mini-game.
  • Gambling- Playing luck games.
I have lots of ideas. But again there isn't much you can do. It pretty much boils down to what "jobs" do you want in your game and how can you make them fun
Thinking on the kind of mini-games you could have in particular, i'd suggest ones that should make players -whether they realise it or not, on that though it might be better to as much as possible make this apparent) employ -and thus sharpen- skills they'd normally expect to exhibit in other parts of the game. The difference with that being that this time they don't need to feel pressured about any consequences of not being good enough to pass the game, i.e. no perceivable punishment by the game as a result of lacking the skill, rather it challenges the player who notices the opportunity to use the game to get better skilled in one way or the other.

Don't know if you'll get what i'm going for there, but hmm just one of the ideas of a style of minigame i've considered for myself i'd like to see, and also have implemented into the games i'd like to produce at some point. Anyway... I'll see about coming back later and possibly adding a few more suggestions.
In response to Turboskill
Makes sense, and perfect at that.
Ah. Well i'm pleased to know i could contribute :D.
If we are looking at specific systems Id recommend looking at fables job systems and how it deals with jobs
In response to DanteVFenris
I've played Fable, not necessarily what I'm looking for when I say mini-game persay.
First of all, I'm with Turboskill on his idea. That has been done in some major games before, and worked well. An example would be some of the Zelda games. They usually have mini-games involving the bombs and/or arrows that better your skills with them while earning you rupees or other prizes.

Secondly I think another good approach, which I think games like Fable, Morrowind, etc probably did is to make side quests/jobs that have interesting content. They don't always need to be action based. You could be exchanging letters between two people secretly in love that are torn between opposite sides because of their families, or trying to find a ring someone lost in town, or something of the sort.

Under normal circumstances, this would be incredibly boring and repetitive, but if you mix in some solid story and Maybe offer a pretty good prize the players will be entertained and rarely ever realize. Bonus points if you make a 'series' of them thats stories actually connect to keep them busy longer, and wanting to do it longer or more often to progress the side plot.
You could add some actual minigames. :)
If you want to go crazy on mini games and make it in depth. I just mentioned fable as its pretty simple and has some decently good results. You can make Anythin fun with prett time. Just look at men's room mayhem they turn cleaning toilets and crap and make it some what fun.

For example: instead of mining a rock by standing still you could ....
Have a limited time going into a mining cave as too long kills you for some explained reason, your only allowed to carry so much out and stallegmites drop as you try to mine while dodging falling obstacles and traps(maybe even enemies).
In response to Flick
Nice flick, those did come to mind for me also. I've tried those that i've come across here and there, having them in a game might be pretty nifty i reckon.
Crafting is definitely something to consider, along with doing things like mining, woodcutting, fishing, collecting, etc. You can use the material collection, which in itself could be a mini-game of sorts, for crafting, which would be another mini-game. I'm mostly thinking of Fantasy Life as inspiration here. I really enjoy how they manage to make something like woodcutting interesting. Fantasy Life also manages to keep the crafting system simple enough that it isn't daunting, but deep enough to keep you working on it.
Besides the typical RPG element mini-games/activities like hunting, fishing, blacksmithing, etc. I like seeing games with lore-based puzzles and games. Kind of like Chess within a game but instead of it being "Chess" it could be something lore-specific to your game like the pieces being monsters instead of knight, pawn, etc. Also I like to think of GBA styled games back in the day. For example, Harry Potter GBA games had various mini-games from catching gnomes(I think) and throwing them out the yard to Quidditch games.