ID:183182

Do you think that Windows XP will be used more than Windows Vista in the following two to five years? Or do you think Vista will steadily gain acceptance?

~Kujila
I think that People will Keep using XP Because it doesnt support all the stuff that XP does Support. And it needs alot of Memory and Most people dont want to Upgrade to Vista.
Sadly, Microsoft is going to force users into buying Vista eventually. I've never tried Vista but from what I hear its horrible. By the by, if anyone here owns vista has your computer contracted the 'Blue Screen of Death' yet?
In response to 666MadMike666
Yeah thats true. Also some people cant afford the requirements for vista or vista it self.
I think eventually Windows Vista will become the new choice OS for Windows users, but as we have it right now, I think Windows XP will still hang around for awhile, I dare say as long as 5 years or more. Microsoft has already made it clear that Windows Vista is more oriented around gaming then anything else and when most people can get Windows XP for as cheap as $50 in some stores, there is almost no reason why anyone except a gamer would even be interested in Windows Vista.

Windows Vista has DirectX 10 and has the possibility to make games look a lot better, but the problem is, there are very, very few games that even use DX 10 yet, and most developers won't stop supporting DX 9 for at least a few more years to come. Add in the fact that a DX 10 compatible video card costs an arm and a leg right now and you could see why even a lot of PC gamers are hesitant to buy Vista. As far as system requirements go, both Vista and Windows XP both have surprisingly low system requirements. Microsoft is not going to make a operating system that only a power house computer rig can support. Because they want as many people as possible to buy it.
In response to WarLin
I have vista not installed though, I used it for a presentation for school, but after that was done I got rid of it, I dont even have a Legal version.. those things are more then 100 Euro around here.. Don't saw the Blue Screen of death yet.
In response to 666MadMike666
dont have blue screen of death, but the updating on it sucks, and there is no progress bar for the defragmentation, and not even percentage, so i think it sucks based off those main things, since thats not even how it acts when doing basic things, so yea, it sucks bad.
In response to Super Silly Stuart
Super Silly Stuart wrote:
dont have blue screen of death, but the updating on it sucks, and there is no progress bar for the defragmentation, and not even percentage, so i think it sucks based off those main things, since thats not even how it acts when doing basic things, so yea, it sucks bad.

BSOD does occur in Vista.. and if those are really stupid reasons not to like it. And I can't even understand what you are trying to say near the end of your silly paragraph.

Anyways, XP wasn't accepted right away at first, but people are gonna accept Vista eventually.
In response to Narmanb
the word eventually, most people will hate it more than they did xp at first, cause loading bars, and percentages dont even show up on there.

either way BSOD can occur in vista, but u can just get one preinstalled with it, and its not likely to occur...

so please dont just talk crap, of course things can occur on any system really, but it hasnt happened TO ME.
In response to WarLin
WarLin wrote:
By the by, if anyone here owns vista has your computer contracted the 'Blue Screen of Death' yet?

I haven't gotten a single BSOD in 5 months. Vista is great but it is going to take a year or so before *every* PC is running it like XP is now.

The exact same thing happened with XP.
In response to Repiv
Not really, Windows XP was a huge step up from other versions of Windows, for the first time ever Windows was a plug and play OS. Even if you didn't have the drivers for certian hardware, Windows tried it's best to try and get it working.

I have had hardware that had really obscure drivers work 100% perfect in Windows XP. Before that, if I didn't have the driver disk, I was totally screwed. Windows XP was really easy to advanced to. When you get right down to it, Windows Vista doesn't have all that much more to offer then Windows XP already does.

People who already own XP aren't going to buy Vista unless they give them a good reason too. Most companies shouldn't even find a reason to move to Vista, XP should be good enough. The only people who are really going to appreciate Vista will be mostly PC gamers.
In response to WarLin
WarLin wrote:
Sadly, Microsoft is going to force users into buying Vista eventually. I've never tried Vista but from what I hear its horrible. By the by, if anyone here owns vista has your computer contracted the 'Blue Screen of Death' yet?

No BSODs at all, if you get BSOD's on Vista it's generally your hardware at fault or a dodgy driver. For the best experience get a new motherboard and video card, even something low end, but new, like the 8600GT or a P35 board as the drivers for them are pretty much rock solid.
Where as the drivers for older boards, like NForce2 and 3 are not as good so upgrading the two major components that really need to have stable drivers helps immeasurably.
Considering the insane system requirements, the intrusive nature of its security popups (Do you want to change your desktop background? Are you sure? Sure you're sure?), the way DRM and related you-don't-own-your-computer technologies are built into it, the price, and the fact that, at its heart, it's the same insecure bloatware as ever (See, this flaw, which affects pretty much all versions of Windows 'new and improved' or not), and I imagine that Microsoft will have to pull their normal marketing practices in order to force people to pay for their downgrade.

DX10 looks to be the main weapon for that. Fortunately, Microsoft is in a bit of a catch-22 situation with that - game developers won't use DX10 exclusively until their target audience is using Vista, and their target audience is the group least likely to put up with it.

XP will be around for a while. I predict that in five years, XP will still be at least ten percent of the Windows world.
In response to Jp
Doesn't anyone use Windows 95 any more? It does the job, has much less system requirements and it's easy to use. It solves all the problems that I've seen posted about XP and Vista.

And I don't care if it's a bit out of date, it's only about 12 years out of date. I've got a gyroscope that still works perfecly fine and it's older than I am (Happy birthday, gyroscope!).
In response to Atomixkid
Yeah except the OS is terrible out of date and requires proper drivers disks for everything. Windows 95 is a nightmare compared to XP. My school was cleaning out the computer lab one year and threw away 10 completely unopened prints of Windows 98, 5 of Windows 95 and like 20 of Windows 3.1, they were still shrink wrapped and everything. I took it all. I honestly don't know why.
In response to Atomixkid
Windows 95 has a few problems, mostly related to in-built system limitations. For example, you couldn't use a dual-core processor properly in Win95. Nor could you use more then about 512 MB of RAM. I think it doesn't have USB support, either.

I used to run on Windows 98, but I think XP is currently the best-of-breed Windows for gaming PCs. Windows 2000 for something that's just going to do office stuffs.
I think XP will be used more a year or two... New games are coming out for DX10 only, and it needs Vista, people will slowly move to Vista eventually, but sadly vista drops FPS in games by ~5

P.S. Vista on my language means Chicken
In response to Atomixkid
I can understand using an outdated OS, I myself use Windows 2000, but why wouldn't you go for a good one? If you like Windows 95, then get Windows 98. It's pretty much the same thing but it works (well, a lot more than Windows 95 does).
In response to Atomixkid
Most problems with XP and Vista is because of incompactibility or poeple mistake...

XP and Vista has LOADS updates and LOADS Video Card driver updates, most problems are because of incompactibility...
In response to Ripiz
Of course they're incompactible, they're an abstract concept. How would you compact an abstract concept?
Page: 1 2