In response to CaptFalcon33035
CaptFalcon33035 wrote:
How about an efficiency or design philosophy-based contest where everyone is given the same thing to do, and what grades them is how well and intuitively they perform the task.

Sounds fun. We could make up funky design philosophies like "Spaghetti-code only", or "Ugly code". The winner could be the best philosopher (hardy har har)!
In response to Foomer
Foomer wrote:
How about a scenario of providing a set of graphics that the developer must use, and having them design the best game they can with those graphics?

That would be cool!
In response to Foomer
Rule could either be you must use all of a few graphics provided, or must use nothing but a large set provided, depending on what is available.

I'd go for the large set. Creating the set could be a separate contest in itself.
In response to Gughunter
Agreed... I think the BYOND Pixel Art Society was mulling over this sort of thing, too...
In response to Gughunter
Gughunter wrote:
Rule could either be you must use all of a few graphics provided, or must use nothing but a large set provided, depending on what is available.

I'd go for the large set. Creating the set could be a separate contest in itself.

A competition for the artists to make the graphics.

A competition for the programmers to make the games.

A competition for the gamers to find the clues in the aforementioned games to solve... a puzzle?

Goes down like this, yo.

Competition one is straight forward, nothing to say there.

Competition two, every one participating is given a specific clue they have to make available in their game somehow. In a way that it's not too easy to find, but users have to actually play the game to get it.

Competition three, everyone has to follow the clues found in the game to find out... Dan's secret whereabouts after his escape from Nadrew's basement.

--

Then, if you want to get creative, you can control how the three contests end up, by setting the pixel artists a theme. They follow said theme, the programmers will have to come up with games to fit their themes.
In response to SuperSaiyanGokuX
SuperSaiyanGokuX wrote:
How about a contest involving both a developer stage, and a player stage?

Something like a contest for developers to design and build an arcade-style game based on points, then have a high score contest after the winner is picked?

That whould be a great ideal if i had the money i'd sponser it
I think once every year, BYOND should hold like a BYOND Awards ceremony. Where people are told ahead of time it is going to be held. There would be different categories for each thing, such as graphical design, GUI design, Pixel Art, Sound Effects, Music and more.

People who would want to be considered could start up some sort of project that fit in a certain category and then submit their work by a certain date. Then BYOND staff would review all the entries and then pick the best 6 out of each category (or less depending on the amount of people who submit work.).

Once BYOND staff eliminated everyone in each category, BYOND members would be able to vote for each person in each category that they think is the best that is left. There would be two winners in each category, the first place winner and the runner up. First place winner would win a free year subscription to BYOND, they would get a special "trophy" that showed up on their blog that would show what category they won and what year they won. They might also get some sort of cash prize or something. The runner up would get a free 1 year BYOND membership.

Maybe BYOND could have a section simply made for the BYOND ceremonies. Where they listed the First Place winner and Runner up of each year and their winning project. BYOND could hold it at the end of the year and announce the winners on New Years Eve.
In response to Revenant Jesus
would probably be better off if you had more people outside the Staff to hold such an event.

while many are dedicated to BYOND, we also have lives, wives, jobs, and other pressing factors a wee bit more important than committing to an Awards ceremony. plus, many of us are spread around the world so coordinating such an effort could be difficult.

and many of the best of the Staff just do not frequent the community as often as before.

i would certainly support a community-driven Awards ceremony. a four-to-six month period prior to the ceremony should give people plenty of time to work on what-ever projects for their chosen category.

on a side-note: the scuttlebutt roaming around various circles is that i am considering a Game-in-a-Week/Game-in-a-Month contest. this is true. i am also considering this as a regular event (probably quarterly or maybe every 2 months). i have not decided when to start and what the theme shall be. keep an eye on my blog for future announcements.
In response to digitalmouse
It would be awesome to have an BYOND contenst like this:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=sqk1-q8gXcY
In response to Flame Sage
Yep, I have a feeling they would kinda go like that, minus the luggage and the car.

Lummox JR
In response to Flame Sage
Flame Sage wrote:
It would be awesome to have an BYOND contenst like this:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=sqk1-q8gXcY

I'm surprised he didn't hit her with the microphone.
In response to digitalmouse
Something like http://www.gamedev.net/community/contest/4e6/ would be nice as a community or members regulated contest.

Just arraging it might be a nightmare though.
In response to Shlaklava
Shlaklava wrote:
Just arraging it might be a nightmare though.

That's the same with every large event. Online or no.
In response to Lummox JR
I particularly liked the October contest a couple of years back. It provided for a lot of community interaction (someone would come up with a translator for the 5D text, and post it in the forums, people would discuss Brett Lenon's latest ramblings, etc.), and it was particularly entertaining. That's probably my favorite contest so far.

I also enjoy the 8k and 4k contest ideas. I certainly wouldn't mind their revival.

Hiead
In response to Starjian
Talking of which, how is the reviewing going?
Any GIAD'07 news?

I'd love to enter a new contest, but I'm not experienced at all in compressing my code so a 4K or 8K challange would scare me...
Page: 1 2