In response to DeathHyren
It's not that, it's the whole scoring system, which makes absolutely no sense, not like ANYONE pays attention to scoring systems.

And Modulus, Shut the Hell up you damn Pessimist.
In response to Latoma
Latoma wrote:

And Modulus, Shut the Hell up you damn Pessimist.

Shhhhhh. Calm down. I'm used to being called a Pessimist. Everyone where I lives calls me one. I don't mind though it's diffrent.

It just annoys me.

Why are you determined to stop rippers so much. By any chance was any of your siblings/relatives killed by a merciless ripper of games? Or maybe you have no life and have nothing better to do with your life than bother kids who enjoy playing games and the feeling that they own it and have power. It's harmless fun.

Anyways I don't care anymore. You're a lost cause.

*~Modulus
In response to Modulus
Instead of arguing about this stuff why don't we ask the "Boss man" on his point of view on rips so we can see if any action will be taken. If not the subject dies there. If he does agree then we can start to talk about adding features to filter rips.

So i pose this Question to Tom. "Do you want to get rid of rips?"

-Genjura
In response to Genjura
Genjura wrote:
Instead of arguing about this stuff why don't we ask the "Boss man" on his point of view on rips so we can see if any action will be taken. If not the subject dies there. If he does agree then we can start to talk about adding features to filter rips.

So i pose this Question to Tom. "Do you want to get rid of rips?"

-Genjura

I pose this question to Genjura: Are you going to get rid of the double post or will the mods?
In response to RedlineM203
I pose this question to Genjura: Are you going to get rid of the double post or will the mods?

oops... *Blush*

-Genjura
Latoma wrote:
I was thinking this through, and considering all games are submitted into Hubs eventually, this idea might actually help prevent rips in an actually intelligent way (I'm posting this here hoping the Byond Administration would see this and consider using it).

As we all know, Colleges and High Schools uses programs to detect plagiarism, basically which search out the whole net, and then compare it to a text file that a student turns in, seeing what the student plagiarized and reporting the exact website and the Sort.

I was thinking what if Byond Had something similar on it's Hub Submission Pages. Update the Hub to have a place to put your Source Files (whatever file it is that contains the actual code that you use to run the game, I think the RSC, although I don't know how right I am there). IN this new spot, you place the Coding Source, and the System Compares the code to other code stored in the Byond Database.

I think this is a bad idea. If there is a place that is storing source files online, that is a place someone can get at them. It is just creating another security flaw.

Also, think about it for a second, BYOND has an area where you can download demos and Libraries to use in your game. A lot of people use Libraries because they prove useful in doing certain things on BYOND that is normally a hassle. Like a save system, or whatever. I know I am not the only person on BYOND who takes advantages of the Libraries that we can get here. So a lot of people might be using the same Libraries, thus having the same programing to compare to.

Another thing to take into consideration is that there are many ways to program a way, but several people could think of the same way to do it. Unlike a essay that people write in school, there is a much higher chance that two, three or more people have programmed one aspect of their game the same way, without even knowing it. That would trip up this system.

If a Certain percent of the code is similar to another Game (Say 50+%, due to that's Definately rip level work) which belongs to a person not of the same key, then the Byond Server Recognizes the Game as a "Rip" and prevents the Hub from showing any hosted games, thus making the game always appear 'dead', also removing the ability to view the game in the pager (thus resorting it purely to IP, which is an inconvinience to a lot).

Even if this did work better then I would ever expect it to, you would be driving off a lot of people. BYOND isn't going to do that.

Of course, some people want to make games on a new key, and want to use their old code or coding style. In that case there could be a spot where a person can type in another key and it's password, to link the keys together to prove you're the legitimate owner of the other key, so as to use the original code.

For Teams, it would 'register' the keys, so that each member can input their keys and passwords, so it could refer to each other key's info, and ignore their code so it's okay.

That seems like an awful lot of work to simply host a game on the hub entry. I know a few people who would avoid BYOND just because of the inconvenience.

It's a bit 'out there' considering that it's a new idea, but it has it's perks. It keeps it so that only people who permit the use of certain code can use it. What this means is say Player A makes a game, and Player B wants permission to use player A's code (or even TRY to rip it).

Player B would need to make an account for Team Projects, give the key and pass to Player A, who would need to log into that hub using their normal Key and password IF they permit. If not the system, upon Player B's trying to input the Rip, would see that PLayer B is using 50+% of Player A's code (changing names and numbers is not enough to hide this) and would flag him as Ripping, thus sealing Player B's hub.

How would changing names and numbers NOT be enough to hide a rip with your system? Names and numbers could take up a very huge aspect of the source code and could easily make up 50% or more of a source code. Your idea is flawed.

Not to mention BYOND staff have made it a point to keep them selfs separated from the actual games on BYOND. They will not moderate or help in any problems with a BYOND game, if thats the case, I hardly think it is their right to tell someone how to make their game.
In response to Latoma
Also, most rips don't occur because of a hacker. It usually happens because the developer or a team member on the team helping the project is simply stupid.
In response to Latoma
Latoma wrote:
Well Lummox, this idea was spawned up as a 'joke' at first, then became a serious idea when, on Byond Anime, a few people told me the idea was good (this is namely those who are not lazy fools who promote rips by telling people to ignore them, helluva lotta good that does). You can't expect this idea to be flawless yet, but I am sure I could find ways to improve it based on your message here.

Actually my message pokes some pretty fatal holes in the whole theory. They aren't really solvable problems. One of those key problems is the who's-going-to-do-it issue, because it ain't me. I spoke in theory only. I know it's possible to gauge a level of similarity based on blocks of identical code and identical resources, but that's as far as that technical aspect could ever go, and it's not worth developing. It's certainly not worth burdening the BYOND hub with.

If it's something merely hosted on someone's machine, but not available for download, this technique can't even be applied.

This is VERY True, if it is only on someone's machine it won't work, but then again it's a lot better than it being out public with people playing it and getting ranking boosts for it (which is quite annoying).

A game can be perfectly public and be hosted only on your own machine, not available for download anywhere. So I don't see where you're going with that.

..., and yet it also has to be able to handle a bait-and-switch on the ripper's part. If a ripper knows about this scheme they can easily upload a basic test world, then sub it out for their rip once they've passed the test.

Actually, this is a smart suggestion on my part, though not perfectly flawless, why not make it so that, in order to access the 'host' command in Dream Maker, one needs to host it through their hub (you could make this part of a later Byond Update).

What I mean by this is remove Dream Daemon from being normally accessable by players, and make normal hosting (Through those icons you normally get unless you make the game down-loadable) only possible by putting the RSC file into your Hub, and clicking "Ok", which will react with your Dream Maker and activate the "Dream Daemon" thus allowing you to host.

The .rsc file is only one part of what it would take to detect rips, and I see no benefit at all in forcing games to be downloadable in order to be hostable.

Through this, it's a requirement to submit your RSC/RSB (Sorry but this is confusing XD) to Byond, in which it waits a minute or two to do a quick review, and then activates the game making it public. (Again, I'm working on theory here, and what I know is possible, which is ironically quite a bit seeing what you've done with Dream Seeker/Daemon).

That's a fairly ridiculous constraint to allow hosting or not. Too much stress on the server to too little effect, and it would also prevent people from even testing games that aren't finished.

The other problem is one you mentioned yourself in another post: There's no way to tell which game is the original. Hub entry date won't work for a lot of reasons, the aforementioned bait-and-switch being one of them. Telling which game is the "original" is not a trivial problem, if indeed it's solvable at all.

I discussed this on Byond Anime myself. Honestly Lummox, I just want to prevent an overdose of Rips. In order to do that, we just need to get a Source as close to the rips as possible. It's fine if a few rips slide through, sadly, as a lot of people who are pessimistic towards Rip removal point out, Rips tend to be the cause for a LOT of Byond's Membership Purchases (I will admit that's why I originally bought one, but NOw I want a membership to Change Byond as much as I humanly can).

If a Rip IS made an 'original' by said system, it WILL produce ONE good side effect: all other rips like it will be slain. In short we keep one rip, we get rid of tens to hundreds of others. Not a bad Trade off, not as bad as what we got now at least, and thus allowing us to 'relax' as to this whole problem.

You miss the point. If a rip is labeled original in error, then the actual original game it came from is suddenly shafted.

I know it's impossible to completely eradicate rips, but I am not pessimistic as to think it's completely impossible to stop them either. As a Result, I personally want to eliminate as many rips as possible. This theory, as I planned it, will do just that, effectively eliminating a majority of rips by cutting them by the throat where it hurts most, the ability to actually host them.

Any solution we would ever implement would not prevent people from hosting games, but would merely label a game as a rip. But we won't ever do anything like this. It's a pointless waste of time on our part, time that could be better spent shoring up the software and the site, and attracting more legitimate developers.

One of the near-term goals in BYOND is to get sub-communities like guilds running more robustly, at which point BYOND Anime can be the central nexus of a bazillion related guilds that each have their own policy on rips, where the guild staff can decide whether rips are accepted and which games really are rips.

I know this is an extremist thing, but honestly everyone's sick of Rips, some have given up and become indirectly supporting of rips (IE: Saying they don't hurt you, saying that and I quote "The best way to beat rips is to ignore them."). They don't like to admit they're supporting rips indirectly, but unless people actually begin beating down on rips, then they'll never stop anyhow.

Saying that indifference equals tacit support is pretty shallow, and not at all correct. Clearly not everyone shares the same level of passion about it, and some people are at least as annoyed by the constant tone of "We should do something about this!" as they are the issue itself. The "we" who are expected to do something about it are the BYOND Staff, and that's not gonna happen. I repeat: It's not gonna happen.

How about "you" do something about it instead? How about everyone who complains about rips form guilds or support guilds that only accept original games? How about they disavow the obnoxious attempts of some zealots to use spam against rips, and instead just throw all their support into building up the player base of the originals? That way it doesn't matter if someone else "supports" rips through complete apathy (or at least, an unwillingness to freak about them), because those who actually care about the issue will be doing their part to encourage honest developers. Any solution to the rip problem is not gonna come via some pie-in-the-sky intervention from the BYOND Staff, but from community involvement in making non-rips far more popular than their shoddy counerparts.

Lummox JR
In response to Masterdan
Masterdan wrote:
I have to say wouldnt a really sneaky way for you guys to covertly assign originality values to games be possible (and more realistic) if you simply had games send something similar to world profile reports, that simply listed all the procs and verbs in the game? Then you could write up some code to pick out the ones with really distinct names, things with spelling errors and strange capitalization convention.

So completely not worth it. It'd require massively altering BYOND and the hub. This won't happen.

And to everybody (especially modulus) who like the status quo and fail at improving anything, shut up and dont talk.

I'm not a fan of the status quo, but it's positively glowing in comparison to days of yore. You know what's improved it already? Lumping everything into BYOND Anime. You know what will improve it further? People using their guilds to classify games the way they want.

Its a suggestion to make things better, you trying to keep things worse is the bad attitude that stagnates things in all levels of society. Rips are an issue, in the anime guild especially. Thats why you guys think anime games suck, because its flooded with rips. Stuff needs to be done to clean it up.

I think anime games suck for reasons that have nothing to do with rips. But if you're keen on cleaning them up, then support original authors in guilds that you run or belong to. BYOND Staff won't be cleaning up the rips.

Lummox JR
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
Latoma wrote:
Well Lummox, this idea was spawned up as a 'joke' at first, then became a serious idea when, on Byond Anime, a few people told me the idea was good (this is namely those who are not lazy fools who promote rips by telling people to ignore them, helluva lotta good that does). You can't expect this idea to be flawless yet, but I am sure I could find ways to improve it based on your message here.

Actually my message pokes some pretty fatal holes in the whole theory. They aren't really solvable problems. One of those key problems is the who's-going-to-do-it issue, because it ain't me. I spoke in theory only. I know it's possible to gauge a level of similarity based on blocks of identical code and identical resources, but that's as far as that technical aspect could ever go, and it's not worth developing. It's certainly not worth burdening the BYOND hub with.

If it's something merely hosted on someone's machine, but not available for download, this technique can't even be applied.

This is VERY True, if it is only on someone's machine it won't work, but then again it's a lot better than it being out public with people playing it and getting ranking boosts for it (which is quite annoying).

A game can be perfectly public and be hosted only on your own machine, not available for download anywhere. So I don't see where you're going with that.

..., and yet it also has to be able to handle a bait-and-switch on the ripper's part. If a ripper knows about this scheme they can easily upload a basic test world, then sub it out for their rip once they've passed the test.

Actually, this is a smart suggestion on my part, though not perfectly flawless, why not make it so that, in order to access the 'host' command in Dream Maker, one needs to host it through their hub (you could make this part of a later Byond Update).

What I mean by this is remove Dream Daemon from being normally accessable by players, and make normal hosting (Through those icons you normally get unless you make the game down-loadable) only possible by putting the RSC file into your Hub, and clicking "Ok", which will react with your Dream Maker and activate the "Dream Daemon" thus allowing you to host.

The .rsc file is only one part of what it would take to detect rips, and I see no benefit at all in forcing games to be downloadable in order to be hostable.

Through this, it's a requirement to submit your RSC/RSB (Sorry but this is confusing XD) to Byond, in which it waits a minute or two to do a quick review, and then activates the game making it public. (Again, I'm working on theory here, and what I know is possible, which is ironically quite a bit seeing what you've done with Dream Seeker/Daemon).

That's a fairly ridiculous constraint to allow hosting or not. Too much stress on the server to too little effect, and it would also prevent people from even testing games that aren't finished.

The other problem is one you mentioned yourself in another post: There's no way to tell which game is the original. Hub entry date won't work for a lot of reasons, the aforementioned bait-and-switch being one of them. Telling which game is the "original" is not a trivial problem, if indeed it's solvable at all.

I discussed this on Byond Anime myself. Honestly Lummox, I just want to prevent an overdose of Rips. In order to do that, we just need to get a Source as close to the rips as possible. It's fine if a few rips slide through, sadly, as a lot of people who are pessimistic towards Rip removal point out, Rips tend to be the cause for a LOT of Byond's Membership Purchases (I will admit that's why I originally bought one, but NOw I want a membership to Change Byond as much as I humanly can).

If a Rip IS made an 'original' by said system, it WILL produce ONE good side effect: all other rips like it will be slain. In short we keep one rip, we get rid of tens to hundreds of others. Not a bad Trade off, not as bad as what we got now at least, and thus allowing us to 'relax' as to this whole problem.

You miss the point. If a rip is labeled original in error, then the actual original game it came from is suddenly shafted.

I know it's impossible to completely eradicate rips, but I am not pessimistic as to think it's completely impossible to stop them either. As a Result, I personally want to eliminate as many rips as possible. This theory, as I planned it, will do just that, effectively eliminating a majority of rips by cutting them by the throat where it hurts most, the ability to actually host them.

Any solution we would ever implement would not prevent people from hosting games, but would merely label a game as a rip. But we won't ever do anything like this. It's a pointless waste of time on our part, time that could be better spent shoring up the software and the site, and attracting more legitimate developers.

One of the near-term goals in BYOND is to get sub-communities like guilds running more robustly, at which point BYOND Anime can be the central nexus of a bazillion related guilds that each have their own policy on rips, where the guild staff can decide whether rips are accepted and which games really are rips.

I know this is an extremist thing, but honestly everyone's sick of Rips, some have given up and become indirectly supporting of rips (IE: Saying they don't hurt you, saying that and I quote "The best way to beat rips is to ignore them."). They don't like to admit they're supporting rips indirectly, but unless people actually begin beating down on rips, then they'll never stop anyhow.

Saying that indifference equals tacit support is pretty shallow, and not at all correct. Clearly not everyone shares the same level of passion about it, and some people are at least as annoyed by the constant tone of "We should do something about this!" as they are the issue itself. The "we" who are expected to do something about it are the BYOND Staff, and that's not gonna happen. I repeat: It's not gonna happen.

How about "you" do something about it instead? How about everyone who complains about rips form guilds or support guilds that only accept original games? How about they disavow the obnoxious attempts of some zealots to use spam against rips, and instead just throw all their support into building up the player base of the originals? That way it doesn't matter if someone else "supports" rips through complete apathy (or at least, an unwillingness to freak about them), because those who actually care about the issue will be doing their part to encourage honest developers. Any solution to the rip problem is not gonna come via some pie-in-the-sky intervention from the BYOND Staff, but from community involvement in making non-rips far more popular than their shoddy counerparts.

Lummox JR

Lummox let me say this first: I never said make the game downloadable, just make a seperate input box for inserting the RSC file to be registered to the Byond Server so the Byond Server can compare. Then it opens Dream Daemon to host. Basically no downloads, it's a whole seperate box.

And Lummox, good luck getting Rippers to actually look at a guild. I bet you 100 to every 1 person on Byond never even LOOK AT (much less ACTIVELY view)a Forum on Byond.

The only time Rip players even VISIT a damn Forum is to take part of a biased 'vote' of a game, and then disappear (this happens weekly on Byond Anime. Someone started a 'Review' for NBOTLS, every NBOTLS player ranked it 10, then never even looked again).

I want to kill Rips as much as the next person, but for every one person we get out of rips, 15-30 more take their place. People who play Rips call Original Games "Utter [I like to use dirty words]" (no typos there) because they 'are not as easy' or 'do not let us do whatever we want'.

Hell, due to a total lack of RSC security, most people won't even develop games because they're scared of their Sources being entered via RSC Extractors (And obviously there must be OTHER ways of an RSC getting out OTHER than the owner or staff handing it out, or my friend Legendary Goku 10 wouldn't give a flying **** and would release his game before something is done about RSC extractors).

I know there's more ways to, because I know for a =FACT= That the game Bleach Los Noches didn't release it's icons (I know Two of the Owners of BLN personally, there was -never- a file leak), yet someone (And I heard from about 5 difference sources how, see later this sentence) had been able to, and guess how? He got the icons ALL THROUGH THE GAME 'ICON ULTIMA'!!!

Yeah, be ignorant and say it was released, this is the =4th= time I have heard of icons being leaked due to Icon Ultima, and there's obviously other ways of Source's leaking out (Bleach Unlimited for Example, last I heard only the owner had the source, somehow that got out).

And btw, if that isn't proof enough, I believe YOU lummox remember that hub I showed you, the one called "Game Sources" which had 15-20 DIFFERENT games sources up for 'sale' quite literally?

Yeah, Telling people not to Rip is so gonna work, anyone will rip if it means easy power and play a rip is it means making the game easier (thus why you see more High Rate Ragnorok Online Servers than Low Rate across the net).
In response to Latoma
Latoma wrote:
Lummox let me say this first: I never said make the game downloadable, just make a seperate input box for inserting the RSC file to be registered to the Byond Server so the Byond Server can compare. Then it opens Dream Daemon to host. Basically no downloads, it's a whole seperate box.

So every single time a game in development is altered in any way, it has to go through a complex handshake and upload its files to the server, using up lots of bandwidth, so the server can spend lots of CPU cycles and then send back a response, and only then allow the hosting to continue? If that doesn't come off as ridiculous to you, then you're not thinking this through at all. It's dodgy from a technical standpoint alone, completely impossible (about 10 times over) from a logistical standpoint, and still doesn't address some of the fatal flaws mentioned earlier (e.g., telling an original from a clone).

And Lummox, good luck getting Rippers to actually look at a guild. I bet you 100 to every 1 person on Byond never even LOOK AT (much less ACTIVELY view)a Forum on Byond.

Well the guild approach has nothing to do with rippers; it's about players. And if not enough players are actually using the guilds to find games and explore BYOND, that's exactly the thing we need to change. It happens to be a more workable solution. It also has the great advantage of using human capital--people's ability to spot rips and encourage non-rips--instead of relying on an overcomplicated technical approach that could never work.

The only time Rip players even VISIT a damn Forum is to take part of a biased 'vote' of a game, and then disappear (this happens weekly on Byond Anime. Someone started a 'Review' for NBOTLS, every NBOTLS player ranked it 10, then never even looked again).

Then you can counter by mustering people to vote it down. You can use your own member space or guild to organize around and promote good games, even keep a list of rips if you want so people know the difference. Or you can take part in another guild that does this. The more popular that guild gets, the more likely newbies are to see it, which means your opinions make a bigger impact. If you want to make a difference, there's the place to do it.

I want to kill Rips as much as the next person, but for every one person we get out of rips, 15-30 more take their place. People who play Rips call Original Games "Utter [I like to use dirty words]" (no typos there) because they 'are not as easy' or 'do not let us do whatever we want'.

So? Cut those people off, then. Build up the guild of your choice, where those people have no voice and no part in its activities. Work on adding some dynamism and positive forces into anime game development, and you can shut out the losers who only want an easy game. You can't simply make those people go away, but you can relegate them to the sidelines. SSGX runs BYOND Anime and despises rips himself; give him some good solid related guilds to tout and I'm sure he'd do that in a heartbeat.

Hell, due to a total lack of RSC security, most people won't even develop games because they're scared of their Sources being entered via RSC Extractors (And obviously there must be OTHER ways of an RSC getting out OTHER than the owner or staff handing it out, or my friend Legendary Goku 10 wouldn't give a flying **** and would release his game before something is done about RSC extractors).

Stolen resources are seldom as big an issue as stolen source code, and at any rate it's not possible to protect them 100%. We might at some point put in some minimal form of .rsc security once it's feasible to devote some attention to that, but this isn't a magic bullet to security. Heck, anyone can just take screen shots and use those to reverse-engineer your icons (though obviously this isn't the case for sound or especially music), yet we've rejected pleas to disable screenshots because they're ludicrous. A world where no one can steal your icons is a pipe dream. And even this problem would be heavily mitigated by an active community praising original development and denouncing rips.

Really it's just plain hysteria not to develop a game because of some nebulous fear of resource thievery. Most icons aren't worth stealing anyway. And the same thing happens with graphics on the Web, yet lots and lots of people don't refrain from publishing Web sites. Why doesn't it matter more? Because the popular Web sites stay popular, and little sideline enterprises that steal other people's content never attract enough people to matter. It's called the network effect, or Zipf's Law, and you can make it work for you. If the Web can do it with regular pages, you can do that with a guild and with the games within.

Yeah, be ignorant and say it was released, this is the =4th= time I have heard of icons being leaked due to Icon Ultima, and there's obviously other ways of Source's leaking out (Bleach Unlimited for Example, last I heard only the owner had the source, somehow that got out).

And btw, if that isn't proof enough, I believe YOU lummox remember that hub I showed you, the one called "Game Sources" which had 15-20 DIFFERENT games sources up for 'sale' quite literally?

Icons != source. For source to get out, it has to be leaked. For icons to get out, they can be snatched at any point, even at the client end. Whatever we might do to limit that would be a small stopgap at best, particularly since icon theft tends not to cause as much grief as source leaks.

Yeah, Telling people not to Rip is so gonna work, anyone will rip if it means easy power and play a rip is it means making the game easier (thus why you see more High Rate Ragnorok Online Servers than Low Rate across the net).

I never suggested you could talk a ripper out of ripping. I suggested you bypass them altogether and get more original development going. That could well convince some would-be rippers to make their own game, but more than that it will bring players to worthier games and will cast further stigma on rips.

But hey, you can go with that community-based solution that has a chance of working--at least if you and others attempt it--or you can just keep trying to hone some impossible hub-based solution that will never see the light of day. I'm sure it sounded like a great idea when you first had it, and it was certainly creative, but you missed some of the pitfalls there. It's not ultimately workable, and one of the biggest flaws is that even if you could get all the other details worked out, BYOND will never implement an anti-rip plan. That's for the community to do.

Why not take some of the creativity you put into this idea, and come up with a new one that harnesses the power of the many many players who care about this, instead of one that relies on the BYOND Staff to act in their stead? The "Don't rip, eat a chip" campaign was incredibly lame, but at least it was a first tentative push in the right direction. I'm sure that you, and others who think the same way, can come up with something better.

Lummox JR
Page: 1 2