ID:183379

So I'm in need of some legal advice. If anyone with any knowledge in the subject, or if an attorney (Jmurph) could help that would be awesome. I know these are gaming/development forums but I figured I might as well ask.

I volunteer at an ambulance company and they want to "weed out the bad people". They plan on doing this at a monthly membership meeting tonight. They are going to drug test us and see if anything comes out positive. I know personally I won't be positive since I haven't done anything illicit in months, but I have friends who are in a different position.

When we first joined the company we never had to sign any papers that said there will be random drug tests. Can they tell us that we need to take it, or we will be forced to resign?
Like most legal issues, it depends on your state. Generally, random drug screening is permissible as is termination for use of illegal substances. But this varies by municipality, state and employer (not all employers have a zero tolerance policy), as is the effect it may have on benefits such as unemployment or disability qualification.

Best bet? Don't do drugs.

Here's a decent article from about.com http://jobsearchtech.about.com/od/laborlaws/l/aa090301_2.htm
In response to Jmurph
Jmurph wrote:
Best bet? Don't do drugs.

Its too bad most people don't figure that out to begin with.
In response to Jmurph
Where I work, they do "random drug tests" on people they think is doing drugs. If they come out positive, they offer the person a chance to go to drug coucnling and still work at the company, or quit.

Really, I don't even see why people would think they even have a right in this matter. A buisness has the right to know if a person that is working for them is doing drugs or not, I feel they also have the right to fire anyone who is using drugs, they could comprimise the entire company.
In response to Revenant Jesus
If you don't do drugs then why are you worried?
In response to Miran94
Kalzar wrote:
I won't be positive since I haven't done anything illicit in months, but I have friends who are in a different position.
In response to Zythyr
Oh then let them get what they deserve if you do the crime you do the time. xD