ID:1833830

I'm thinking about how to approach this character movement design for a side scroller. I want the character to walk east and west as well as perform actions in both directions such as swing a sword. I want the left arm to be the sword arm when going east and when the character moves west, the right arm (back arm) to be the sword again. The character should effectively be left handed when traveling EAST and right handed when traveling WEST. I also wanted to do other overlays like hair and armor.

I'm looking at two approaches right now. One is a fairly busy re-overlay approach where you effectively need icons for both directions. The other is with icons/ICON_OVERLAY and flipping the blended icon which is ideal but still a tremendous amount of work.

I'm second guessing myself and hoping that someone knows of an easier way of handing this.

Directional movement states? This is built in functionality you're talking about isn't it?
I'm not exactly certain what you are asking, but if you want to have all icons be flipped, setting the scale of the transform var to -1,1 will effectively flip all icons and overlays of the object. If your icons aren't square you would likely need to set the translate as well.
In response to Zecronious
Zecronious wrote:
Directional movement states? This is built in functionality you're talking about isn't it?

Yeah, I didn't explain it well. Key thing is that the hero is made up of about 10 different body parts not including any armor/weapon overlays.

I spent a fair amount of time last night on the ICON_OVERLAY approach which I think is working well. I don't have the actions done yet so we'll see how that works out.
In response to Mightymo
Mightymo wrote:
I'm not exactly certain what you are asking, but if you want to have all icons be flipped, setting the scale of the transform var to -1,1 will effectively flip all icons and overlays of the object. If your icons aren't square you would likely need to set the translate as well.

Thanks for that tip. I might look into that once I get the actions and obj's incorporated in there.