ID:183387

I just thought of something that would be interesting to bring to the byond community.

I've been wondering if your ability to code would increase if you drink more coffee by that i mean it increases you awareness and gives you more energy.

So in truth do you think it would help you learn more by increase you concentration on it?

Thoughts?
Generally, I program when I am low on energy, I play games on mid-energy, and go out to do whatever on high energy.
My friend really bigs up the advantages of coffee. He claims that it increases the growth in connections in some special part of your brain or whatever, making you slightly cleverer for the duration of it's effects.

I'm not convinced though. He's an ex-coffee addict (like seriously bad), so it's a bit like when a pot smoker tells you about how the meaning of life, the universe and everything is directly related to pot and how much it's amazingly amazing.

For the record, I don't really drink coffe, I drink tea. Programming with tea is nice.
Yorae wrote:
I've been wondering if your ability to code would increase if you drink more coffee by that i mean it increases you awareness and gives you more energy.

I don't mean to sound ironic, but man, that sentence really seems like it was written under the influence of a caffeine buzz. ;-)

Does coffee help you program better? I would say no. Caffeine is a stimulant which heightens the body's and mind's activity level and situational awareness, causing it to expend more energy at a higher rate. While this would seem to be a good thing, bear in mind that if you are more situationally aware, you are less able to focus on a particular thing: you are paying more attention to the things around you and it'll be easy to be distracted.

Caffeine is good for only two purposes: temporarily recuperating from the effects of a minor lack of sleep (a severe lack of sleep is very dangerous and should never be "treated" with coffee), or providing a comfortable energetic sensation.

The comfortable energetic sensation can also be experienced simply by exercising on a given day, eating a good meal, and getting a full night of sleep, so caffeine isn't really all it's cracked up to be. Still, it's much safer than alcohol and depending on the preparation it can make beverages more pleasurable.
In response to Jtgibson
Eh i need a Double Ristretto Venti Nonfat Organic Chocolate Brownie Frappuccino Extra Hot with Foam and Whipped Cream Upside Down Double Blended.

-Genjura
I hate the taste of coffee. Which wasn't too good when a few years ago just out of highschool I entered the world of construction. Those guys drank coffee by the gallon and harassed me constantly. Of course, I'm the fluke in even my own family, but after watching my dad deal with migranes/stained yellow teeth/etc. I don't think I'll ever have a desire to program "under the influence".

Now AMP energy drinks on the other hand I use on the most rare occasion, they're dangerous but I don't mind the taste so much. I had to drive all night, catch a plane at 6AM, and fly back from whence I came -- all in order to return my sick younger brother to his military base -- there's no way I could have done it without being jacked up on energy drinks. I was probably awake for around 39 hours, even having to wait three of those hours in an airport terminal.

I guess what I'm saying is is that if I really had to get something done with code I'd use AMP energy drinks instead of coffee, but ussually I would avoid them.
You might as well program on meth, that will keep you energized too, for much longer. Smoke a couple grams and you'll be up for awhile without getting tired. If you really wanted to you could just keep smoking it and be up for weeks. I've never tried it, but I know plenty that have, and I think this is probably more what you are looking for. Have fun, and good luck.

<small>Warning don't really try meth it will put holes in your brain, and a lot of nasty physically altering side effects.</small>
In response to Digital Samurai
Digital Samurai wrote:
You might as well program on meth, that will keep you energized too, for much longer. Smoke a couple grams and you'll be up for awhile without getting tired. If you really wanted to you could just keep smoking it and be up for weeks. I've never tried it, but I know plenty that have, and I think this is probably more what you are looking for. Have fun, and good luck.

<small>Warning don't really try meth it will put holes in your brain, and a lot of nasty physically altering side effects.</small>

I get the same effects from Coke. (cola)

Without the altering and holes.
Dr. Pepper was always the programming ale of choice for me.