ID:1835691

(See the best response by Chwgt.)
I'm trying to accomplish some various different things concerning iconning and mapping for my current project.

Firstly, I'm trying to have things scaled in a "realistic sense", using the Base Icon for Players as 32x64 pixels.

With that in-mind, I'm imagining to make trees at 64x128 pixels, greenery, rocks, etc at 32x32 pixels, doors at 32x64 pixels, turfs at 32x32 pixels, and so on (if you get the gist of it).

The problem I'm getting however, is when I try to map these things, they are behave very... Strangely. I would lay down the turf for, say, a stone building, and then try to place a door there to create a Structure. This deletes the turf icon immediately to the left of the door icon and then places the door. I can also place more turfs over the door, covering it up, or, if I place anything over the "newly / strangely placed blank spot" next to the door, it removes the door icon completely.

To me, it seems like the mapping is using the "Big Icon" feature, but I thought that only worked if you had the map_format set to tiled icons? Mine is on the default, which should be the topdown format, so it baffles me as to how this occurs.

Best response
Have you looked to see if your just replacing turfs? To check, open your Map.dmm and goto Options. Then select "Click Behavior".

Then you will see to options, 'Click to replace' and 'Click to insert'.

Just select 'Click to insert' to solve your problem(I believe anyway), if it's not already selected.
Turfs can only cover a single tile, so you're running into undefined behavior. It sounds like you should be using objects instead, or breaking up your turfs into the world turf size.
Sorry for the late response. But yeah, that didn't solve it. Weirdly enough, I deleted all of my maps and icons, and started to go at it again, which, to my surprise, seems to have did the trick.

EDIT: Actually, now that I saw Mightymo's post, I think that might've been it. Since when I deleted the icons, I kept them all at 32x32 which is the default icon size. It makes mapping and certain things (icon states for opening doors) more tedious though....
Curious Question:

Is it possible to map an icon as an object but have it function as a turf?

For example -- Having a wall be defined as an object but still be able to place other objects atop of it like you would a turf (like say, a window).

Also, what would be the pros and cons of this (if any)?
In response to Yoren
If you gave an object density and plopped it onto the map, then yes, it would function pretty much like a dense turf--except that when a player tries to walk into it, they're actually calling Enter() on the turf instead of that obj (and if you use pixel movement, they'll also call the obj's Cross() proc).
Huh. I guess that means if I wanted something to trigger under those conditions, then having it triggered via the dense's object's Bump() would work as oppose to the Enter() of that object, right? Like say, a door?
When Bump() is called, src is the mover, and the argument sent to Bump() is the dense object they bumped. If you want this to work the other way around, you'll need this:

atom/movable/Bump(atom/A)
if(A) A.Bumped(src)

atom/proc/Bumped(atom/movable/A)

If you want to respond to Enter() (called before the movement happens) rather than Entered() (called after it succeeds), I think you'd want to handle Cross().
Ah, yes. That would work given that you said it'll also call the obj's Cross() (missed that bit). Cheers mate.