ID:1836159

(See the best response by Xirre.)
The question is in the post. Does the webclient support client-side saving?
Best response
There's apparently no way to save data via something like that. It was tried somewhere else and it turns out that there may be a limit on how much data you can save. I believe it was actually cached. Now, you could probably do an export and have the user download the data for saving. I believe file transferring is possible on the webclient. I know uploading works for a fact. But I have not tested downloading.

Because it runs through the web browser, you have to question the capabilities of the browser itself.
Pretty much as I thought. I'll just add things to my MySQL database then and save like such.
In theory, the webclient could be able to save data via localStorage--but it would be specific to that server, which defeats the purpose. (Right now it isn't actually setup to make use of the client-side savefile mechanism at all.) Alternatively I suppose we could provide a way to save to localStorage for byond.com, but that's still very limited.

In practice, client-side savefiles haven't been so awesome anyway. You have to take heroic measures to make sure users aren't messing with the data to hack their characters. Most game creators with big multi-server setups roll their own savefile sharing system.
GatewayRa wrote:
There's apparently no way to save data via something like that.

You don't even need a native implementation to do this, because you're free to load up another website of yours in an iframe and communicate with it to store data at whatever location you want.

I actually started to write a control that would do this all for you (including parsing JSON into BYOND's savefile format and backwards), but I'm lazy.
In response to Lummox JR
Can you remove the votes from Xirre's post, it's incorrect that his post is the "best answer" since it's somewhat false overall.
In response to Super Saiyan X
Hmm, well why not go back an revisit that idea eh ssx?
Don't let laziness kill a good thing! :o
In response to A.T.H.K
A.T.H.K wrote:
Can you remove the votes from Xirre's post, it's incorrect that his post is the "best answer" since it's somewhat false overall.

What makes it wrong overall?
The fact you can save client side, cookies, resources and of course anything you want in localstorage, if it fits within the limits.
In response to A.T.H.K
A.T.H.K wrote:
The fact you can save client side, cookies, resources and of course anything you want in localstorage, if it fits within the limits.

It was tried somewhere else and it turns out that there may be a limit on how much data you can save. I believe it was actually cached.

It was tried somewhere else

I didn't have full details on the matter. But, I can assure you that this had nothing to do with BYOND. Only something similar to the webclient. Even then, I said may. Which further states that I was not sure. I was also unsure how it was saved. Whether it was cache or not I wasn't 100% positive. But, I did attempt to clear my cache and I think it wiped the data. Once again, I'm unsure. I was only giving food for thought. If it cleared the OP's concerns on the matter, I think it was a valid response.
In response to Xirre
I don't understand why you're trying to argue, it's not your fault everyone voted your answer even if it is wrong.
In response to A.T.H.K
A.T.H.K wrote:
I don't understand why you're trying to argue, it's not your fault everyone voted your answer even if it is wrong.

I don't like leaving confusions. I'm not arguing either. I'm just explaining why I wrote what I wrote and trying to clear up why you think what I said was false when it's not. It's just a few assumptions that happened to solve the OP's question.

Honestly, I couldn't care less about the votes. If it makes you happy, and Lummox isn't busy, feel free to remove the votes. It doesn't bother me. I'm only here to solve questions whenever I am free to do so. And, based on Dale's response, It seems I have done just that.