ID:183621

Wasn't this game prompted to delete it's hub entry for promotion of racism or something? I thought Grei was banned for this non-cooperation with the BYOND staff for not removing this, though that could have been Strai and his Hentai Hill.
http://games.byond.com/hub/Grei/RaceWarz
Oh give me a break. Do you honestly care? Is this game really offending you? I love Race Warz.
In response to Cavern
Whether it is fun or not, if it is against the rules it deserves deletion. period.
In response to Jamesburrow
Where are these "rules"? I asked this a couple of months ago and never got a concrete link. Isn't it just like the staff's discression, meaning they could ban all the naruto games, assuming they wanted to of course.
In response to Darkdemonrad
Darkdemonrad wrote:
they could ban all the naruto games, assuming they wanted to of course.

*sigh*
This is seemingly impossible. Even if they'd ban all the Naruto games online at this point in time, they wouldn't be able to stop the mass from resubmitting their games. If they key-ban them all they'll lose lots of users on BYOND, and if they switch to a system where new hub entries have to be approved by a hub moderator for it to become active it will create even more work.

Though you're semi-right. If they wanted to, they could attempt to hire a few monkies (or turn one of their own staff into a monkey. Perhaps Dan, he's been in that bag for so long he's bound to have lost some of his brain cells) so that they can filter Naruto from other game.
In response to Darkdemonrad
[link]
"Here is what is not acceptable:

- Hub entries designed to insult other people"
[link]
"Again, this is not an exhaustive list. Something that's ethically an obvious no-no but not shown here should still be avoided."

Though still not as concrete as could be hoped for, they do talk about the basics of what is allowed and not.

All in all though, everything is up to the staff's discretion. If they feel it violates the rules, it does, whether it says it anywhere or not.
This community has unwritten rules that rely on common sense.
Jamesburrow wrote:
This community has unwritten rules that rely on common sense.

Ha! Good luck in hoping that half the BYOND community would understand common sense.
In response to Flame Sage
Meh, you have a point, unfortunately. This community seems to attract more hopeless degenerates that most. Of course, they would be unlikely to obey the rules even if they did know them, so either way we are left with the same solution: Kill them all.

J/k, but seriously, if the BYOND staff took more action against their likes, we wouldn't have this problem
Who cares, he has nothing offensive on his hub, please do get a life.
In response to Xx Dark Wizard xX
Well, the game, for one. Also, this was a simple question. If you don't have an answer, don't respond. kthx
While I was in South Africa, I showed a few guys who were interested in game designing how BYOND works. They were really impressed as I built a simple world with graphics that they could use the keyboard to wander around. Then, I showed them how to add more common game elements: I added HP, handguns, and changed the player icons from smily faces to spies with fedoras. Then I made a completely unintentional mistake: I made the player spies be white and the bad-guy AI spies be black. I didn't realize there was anything amiss until the other guys stopped talking and responding. They were giving me a wierd look. I promptly changed them to red and blue, and felt really stupid.
In response to PirateHead
Ouch! Now that's an awkward moment. :-/
CaptFalcon33035 wrote:
http://games.byond.com/hub/Grei/RaceWarz

Delete the foul thing.

As for rules, okay, I have no authority to hand our rules, so I'll go through some common sense.

• No Homophobic Games
    • Games giving off the impression that homosexuals are evil and should be attacked for who they are, is a big -no no-. Not only is that assumption horridly stupid, but it's offensive to a human minority. People need to learn that what happens in the bedroom is that persons private life. It's not your concern so you should have no opinion on the subject itself. Homosexuals are the same as everyone else. The only difference is the company they desire in their private life.
  • No Racist Games
    • I don't know where to begin what's wrong with this. Okay, genetically, there is little to no noticeable difference between a white person and a black person. We're still the same race, the human race. If you think it's cool to attack someone because of their skin colour, you're an idiot. That simple.
  • No Insulting Key Names
    • This is a given. Keys found to be insulting are generally banned on sight with a warning emailed to the user. Save the staff some trouble, eh?
  • Just because it doesn't offend you, doesn't mean it wont offend a lot of others
    • I'm not saying go out of your way to censor every little part of your creations, but consider this: if you implement something you know will be offensive for a lot of people. Change it. Race Warz for example, could easily be changed to reflect an alien species vs the human species. It loses none of it's game play, the title still works, everything is the same, but suddenly it's offence level just vanished. Shock horror!
  • Never announce something you have not yet done. Try, and you will be instantly robbed of the determination to do it. 100% guaranteed!
    • It just had to be included.
  • Don't use actual religions inside games
    • The reality of it all is, there are several religions, and everyone has their preference. No one religion is better than another. Putting an actual religious aspect inside your game is just begging for trouble. This isn't to say you can't invent your own religion for that game itself. Something like Runescape's idea works.
  • Just because a game is fun, doesn't make it legal
    • Hentai Hill is a good example. It was so awful I enjoyed it. I can't say I've ever laughed harder at a terribly programmed game. I still have a screen shot from when it was actually on the hub. Xeal and I were mocking the game something shocking. However, just because it was so horrid it was fun, doesn't excuse the fact it's horrid. It's best to report games you know break the rules. Generally if you're unsure, seek guidance from others in the form of wiz_chat.
  • Fangames aren't worth it
    • You created the icons from scratch, you created all the code from scratch. Even if all this is done, it'll still be regarded as a rip. And not to mention, the icons will be ripped and released. So it's a complete waste of time.
In response to Tiberath
I dont really appreciate your opinion on fan games. You can pretend that the anime guild isnt the largest guild on byond and that the playerbase isnt completely and utterly surrounding it or you can go back to your fantasy land where everybody plays muds and what not.

I came to byond to play fan games, i continue on byond to make fan games. I hate it when the minority tries to tell the majority that they are wrong for what they like, its annoying as hell. You can say that theres no good anime games out, the truth is theres a lot of crap and ill explain the simple reason why.

Bad game makers require lots of coding assistance, which leads to the game being ripped, and easily available code poorly programmed is exactly what new coders thrive on, poorly programmed code is easy to understand to somebody who also has a low level of understanding. Thats why Zeta exploaded (crap code) thats why nbotls exploaded (again crap) and thats why games like naruto jinketsu dont expload. As soon as a game is too complicated for crappy coders to change they wont spread, ANYWAY, You should start to Appreciate the efforts of anime game makers, because most of the paying members of byond who keep this thing running, are playing anime fan games. Also there are plenty of original great games comming out and out already, Bleach los noches, DragonballOnline2(looks great), and my game Naruto GOA is original, popular and more user friendly and fun than most games on byond period.

Tib, your a good guy. However youve spent too much time with the byond development community that do technical libraries and such, the truth is the bulk of byond arent those people so please dont speak for them.

And about saying that all fan games are rips? no thats not true, rips are defined by the playerbase as unauthorized use of somebody elses code. I started GOA from scratch, how is that a rip? It is a fan game, but if the game isnt stolen material then whats your problem with it? If you dont like Naruto or Dragonball thats fine, but dont tell people its a waste of time making them, the truth is that if theres this many people making these games then chances are theres the same proportion wanting to play them.
In response to Masterdan
I think you completely misread what I was saying. Fangames do work, but put it this way, if anyone goes out of their way to make a completely unique Naruto game, lots of people will still call it a rip and it'll still be lost in the mix.
I have never played this game before and know nothing about its content. That said, in order to avoid the thread becoming too one-sided, I thought it might be informative to have Grei explain his intention in creating the game. I got in my time machine, travelled back to 2003, and asked him to make a post explaining himself: [link]

Whether you believe him is up to you of course. I have not yet formed an opinion on the matter.
In response to Crispy
Crispy wrote:
I have never played this game before and know nothing about its content. That said, in order to avoid the thread becoming too one-sided, I thought it might be informative to have Grei explain his intention in creating the game. I got in my time machine, travelled back to 2003, and asked him to make a post explaining himself: [link]

Whether you believe him is up to you of course. I have not yet formed an opinion on the matter.

Let's see, I can choose to be a Ghetto Thug or Trailer Trash (respective black and white). My training consisted of shooting cans to prove I'm american and practising hand-to-hand by trimming a crop of weed. For some reason I have a magic "recall scroll". I'm far too lazy to dive further into this games content to prove the claims made against it.

The movement was choppy, but now I'm just giving critique.
In response to Tiberath
Tiberath wrote:
    • You created the icons from scratch, you created all the code from scratch. Even if all this is done, it'll still be regarded as a rip. And not to mention, the icons will be ripped and released. So it's a complete waste of time.

Amen Tiberath. Amen. I'll admit, there is an occasional ok fan-game, but as far as fan-games go (especially the DBZ, Naruto, etc rips) they suck.
And, as to the decent fan-games, why put all that work into something you can still not legally call your own?
Not a single bit of that code can be made soley yours. If someone does rip it, you cant call foul as you do not legally have any form of right to that code/icon/etc.
Even if you want to base it off of something, if you are going to put that much effort into it, surely it cannot be that hard to change some of the names around.
Jamesburrow wrote:
Tiberath wrote:

Amen Tiberath. Amen. I'll admit, there is an occasional ok fan-game, but as far as fan-games go (especially the DBZ, Naruto, etc rips) they suck.
And, as to the decent fan-games, why put all that work into something you can still not legally call your own?
Not a single bit of that code can be made soley yours. If someone does rip it, you cant call foul as you do not legally have any form of right to that code/icon/etc.
Even if you want to base it off of something, if you are going to put that much effort into it, surely it cannot be that hard to change some of the names around.

Yes yes, I'm the ruler of the community, I know, I know. =P

Arrogance aside, yeah. Over every blue moon there is a good fan game. I hear tail that there is a Final Fantasy game out there that's really good. Nadrew keeps praising it, one day I might actually login and give it an honest shot. But the fact of the matter is, the majority of fan games out there aren't worth the time of day.

With all this in mind, I just had a rocking fantastic idea which I think I'll work on... now. *Punts current project (Kunarks Forums) on hold for the next 4 hours*
In response to PirateHead
You should have told them you where making a "Spy vs Spy" game, and you flipped a coin, so the AI was black and the user was white.

OK, joking aside, people get a little too upset about these things. I could understand if it was a game about a white man, going around and killing only black people, that would be racist. A black colored spy and a white colored spy doesn't even necessarily mean anything racist. I mean, they are spies aren't they, maybe the black spy is just trying to look black... yeah... he is a turn-coat white spy who was attempting to hide out with the black spies, but his identity was leaked... then... woah, sorry, my mind kinda went off there. I honestly formed a pretty big back story in my head.

Regardless, I think it is a little racist to assume a racist connection between any white/black conflict(Like that of your spy demo). I just have a hard time understanding how making them to red and blue made it any different. I guess you could argue that they no longer resembled any real race, but shouldn't the principle of racism be what is bad, not who it is directed at? The same reason you changed the color is the reason many Sci-Fi shows use aliens show racism. But your demo had nothing to do with race(I'm guessing the spies where like the MLAAS spies), perhaps it could be considered colorism, at worst.

Now, from the sounds of it, this Race Warz game was attempting to be racist to poke fun at stereotypes of both races. Although I really don't care if people poke fun at my race, that game really is in bad taste.
Page: 1 2