ID:183638

http://www.shiftro.com/

Just got out of a month pre-release test period, launched it June 3rd, 2007 to the public.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

It's free to play, and I if you need help getting the client installed, just ask me, or post a thread on the ShiftRO forums.

I hope to see some of my BYOND buddies there :)

~Kujila
RO is such a great game. I used to play it a lot, but my crap computer took a crap when my dad vacuumed the CPU because we were having a harddrive failure (I was telling him not to do it, but he's dumb or something... POST even notified us of "imminent harddrive failure." I guess the CPU suffered from ESD and it stopped working.
I still can't make a full-client install file under 1 GB, so filefront won't host it, but the site has instructions for new players on how to install manually.

Server's pretty stable as of now; WoE (Guild vs Guild for castles) works fine every Tuesday and Saturday, and we've got a few active guilds fighting already :)

~Kujila
I am surprised BYOND let you advertise this, a private Ragnarok Server is illegal.
In response to Revenant Jesus
The server is not using the leaked AEGIS server source code developed by Gravity, but a third-party open-source server emulation software.

~Kujila
In response to Kujila
In response to that, if you don't care to wait three hours while it uploads, you can use my site, I have around 200,000 mb of storage, you're free to use a gig. I'm trying to occupy the space anyways.

Oh I say three hours because my host, while graciously giving me 750 gigs of bandwidth(which I dont need at all...) decides to be slow anyways.
In response to Kujila
Ok, so the software is a open source emulation of the game, which still requires key components of the original game to run correctly. Using the files of the original software in a way is bound to be violating the TOS for the Original Ragnarok Online. So unless people can download a completely custom client that uses absolutely no files from the original Ragnarok it is still using parts of copyright software.

Either way I honestly don't care, but don't tell me it isn't illegal when it clearly is.
But is violating a TOS breaking the law? Sure, it is a civil matter, that could go to court, but TOS are rarely legally binding. If the resource files are freely distributed, or they own a copy of the game, they aren't pirating, even if they are violating the TOS.

That being said, this still isn't the place to talk about this stuff, and should be taken to a more private setting.
In response to Danial.Beta
Actually as a matter of fact, one of the developers for a open source emulation was sent to jail.

http://www.ospint.com/text/d/4228252/

Granted it is somewhere else and we don't even know if it is the same "open source emulation" as the one mentioned here, but regardless, this person was sent to jail for it.

I don't really care how "open source" it is, or if it is emulated, it is impossible not to use something from the original game.
Eh? in that case, nevermind the whole I'll host files for you. I don't need jail time. Besides............eh whatever.
"Sweeping, ethnocentric generalizations and non sequiturs aside, Moscow native Valentin Kiseliov faces up to 3 years in a gulag for violating Russian copyright law -- specifically, article 145, part 3, paragraph 'in'. GRAVITY, RO's publisher is accusing Comrade Kaseliov of using official code to emulate an RO server. "

Source

Like I said earlier, my server does not use AEGIS, the server software that was leaked from Gravity.

~Kujila
Keep in mind the original game is free to download from the publisher; the charge lies with paying to play on the servers.

~Kujila
(Correct me if I'm wrong but) I believe the Russian man in question used the AEGIS software that was leaked. Since unofficial development occurred for a time after the stolen source code was acquired, the community claims it's "open source."

The AEGIS software is still used by many private servers, and unofficial development continues, but because it was stolen we have chosen not to use it on our server. Instead, we use alternative forum software that was written by a community rather than stolen by others.

~Kujila
In response to WarLin
I would love that. Contact me

~Kujila
In response to Kujila
It is like any other game. If you downloaded a video game for computer and didn't pay for it, you are stealing it. In this case you are emulating software, which costs money to develop and allowing people to play for free, when they should be paying to play. You didn't make the game, you don't have any right to host the game, nor do people have any rights to play the game for free. If people can't afford to pay to play the game, they shouldn't be playing it at all. You can pretend all you want what you are doing is "OK" but that doesn't make it so.

I am not the only person who feels this way. A lot of online web forums won't allow any discussion of finding, running or playing an illegal server, because it is just that, illegal

They don't do anything about it because there are far too servers. It is impossible to shut down that many servers. You go for the big ones and shut it down. Those companies offering hosting solutions for illegal fan servers are most likely doing something illegal in their own right.

http://iro.ragnarokonline.com/support/operationrule.asp

States at the bottom that illegal servers are counted as a Felony. The only reason why they wouldn't sue every Bill and Sue online is because of the sheer amount of illegal servers and the fact that you can't squeeze blood out of a rock. They could spend time and money to sue as many people as possible, that doesn't mean they are going to get any money for it.
Sure, go ahead.

I'm sure they don't like private servers cutting into their margin, but aside from that GRAVITY allows thousands of servers to run. There are even hosting companies that pre-install private server software and manage your hosting for a monthly fee, yet GRAVITY does not intervene.

~Kujila
Revenant Jesus wrote:
You know what, I am not about to argue with this. [several long paragraphs of argument]

I'm sorry, I have no interest in the topic of this thread, but I had to chuckle at that. I'll tiptoe away quietly now.
Gravity Interactive, Inc. wrote:
Dear XXXX.

Your Question :
A friend of mine started up a private server using emulated >software. I told him it was illegal to do such a thing, he >disagrees. Could you please settle this matter for me?

Answer :
Thank you for your inquiry. The owner of an unofficial >Ragnarok Online server may be prosecuted to the fullest >extent of the law. We suggest immediately removing any >illegal server clients from your computers and shutting >down the illegal private server. If you have further >questions, please contact us.

Thank you,
IRO GM Team
Gravity Interactive, Inc.

Not that you care, but that was their response, of course, you were most likely expecting that anyways right?
Ok you win, I lose.

Are you happy now? :P

It seems 90% of the userbase that joined BYOND during or after 2006 is out to get me :(

~Kujila
In response to Kujila
WELL THEN
WHY DID I GI-
oh right nevermind
Outing you >=\
Page: 1 2