ID:183773

In all my years, I have never once seen windows crash, fail, get hacked, etc anywhere at any time.

Quit pushing linux you fanboys, windows ins't that bad, you're just biased.
DDSR wrote:
In all my years, I have never once seen windows crash, fail, get hacked, etc anywhere at any time.

Then you really must not have been using Windows.
In response to Flame Sage
Flame Sage wrote:
DDSR wrote:

Then you really must not have been using Windows.

Or could it be that some people just don't know how to use a computer.
In response to DDSR
So what your saying is, if a computer crashes on someone, that means they don't know how to use it... Great Logic There Buddy!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Kbj8kMvQDfI
Windows doesn't crash if you know what you're doing, you have to actually cause the crash somehow.
In response to DDSR
So what your saying is..
Windows operates perfectly, 100% of the time, less people are stupid. WRONG.

(Theres plenty of times Windows crashes / acts up on it's own staff!)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=IkeC7HpsHxo&mode=related&search=
In response to DDSR
DDSR wrote:
Windows doesn't crash if you know what you're doing, you have to actually cause the crash somehow.

Nope. We tested this, at our school. We let a computer run by itself, connected to a LAN network which had internet access. The computer crashed.

As for your point about people who know what they're doing making it crash-free, bull; I live at a school with 59 other students, called IT College. Of the 60 we are, over half a dozen run large websites, at least five of us have taken part in international programming contests, we have one of the only Danish Zend-certified php programmers (a student), and we have plenty of MSDN-happy dot net developers. As an aside, virtually every one of us is also a gamer and has a gaming PC for that express purpose.

Not a single person here has run Windows without getting a virus. Not a single person here has had a PC and not had to format it at some point in time; in fact, several people have image CDs saved because they routine reformat their PC (Because its faster and more effecient than cleaning it) every six months to ensure top performance.

Personally, I've run both Mac and Windows since I was 8 or so and I've encountered my share of issues with Linux as well (Only a recent Linux user, for the past 3-4 years). One thing remains constant, though:

It is virtually impossible, if not impossible, to keep a Windows machine which has an active connection to the internet and has programs installed on it periodically from crashing. The standard windows xp sp2 installation completely patched up, can crash all by itself.
In response to DDSR
No you don't. Sure, you can cause it to crash, but it has been known to do it "on its own". I'm about as computer literate as you can find, and I have had Windows crash on my unexpectedly a lot. Normally the true source is hardware, but Windows doesn't correctly handle hardware problems. Older versions of Windows could quickly become unstable by simply running, and the current ones have been known to have problems as well.

Although I don't believe Vista is worth the price, nor would I even use it as my primary OS if I had a free copy, I honestly don't care what OS other people use, as long as it doesn't get in the way of my choice.

If you honestly believe that Windows is perfectly secure as long as the user doesn't do something stupid, like download virus.exe off a website, than you don't know the security flaws Windows has had, and still has. Recently a patch was put up that allowed ANIMATED CURSORS ON ANY WEBPAGE TO EXECUTE REMOTE CODE(IE break into the system). How in the hell could an animated cursor on a webpage possibly cause such a problem? This was a problem for XP and I think Vista. It didn't require the user to do anything except go to the webpage. It didn't require the user to install anything, it didn't require them to run anything, simply typing in the URL in the address bar and hitting enter would allow the system to be attacked. THIS IS NOT OK. The web is a sandbox that should be 100% safe from everything except idiocy.
Flame Sage wrote:
So what your saying is..

http://youtube.com/watch?v=kX8oYoYy2Gc&mode=related&search=
Flame Sage wrote:
So what your saying is..

Its basically you have an extreme obsession with linux, and that your horrible luck with computers.
Vista is actually a good operating system, aside from it's obese hardware requirements.

The only issues now are issues with past software compatibility, which is gradually getting better.

~Kujila
Voice recognition problems = Windows problems now?

He probably didn't set it up right or train it well.

~Kujila
In response to Xx Dark Wizard xX
Flame Sage's house is where computers go to die. It's like a technological sequel to that new movie, Vacancy, except we're going to have to call it Unplugged or Open Socket or something.
You must have seen a crash. I can see the others as being avoidable, but not crashes. All OSes crash, though. I can't seem to remember a crash when I wasn't directly involved with the crash, though...

But, you see, I'm all about Windows. I've used many operating systems and I only really feel really comfortable with Windows because I have been using it for so long. I used to use Macs in Elementary and Middle School, but they gave me so many problems, I just stopped using them altogether. I've heard recent versions are very good, however.
In response to CaptFalcon33035
GOOGLE OS FTW!!!!.
In response to DDSR
You reaaallyyy should do some research on this subject. You obviously don't know what you speak of.

Windows messes up on it's own quite often. It gets easily "confused" (the registry can conflict with itself, often). While it's less of a problem now, driver conflicts still happen and are difficult to root out. Mind you, both of these are Microsoft standards that fall back on themself.

If you tell a basic computer tech "something is wrong with my computer" and it's running Windows, the first thing they'll ask you is "Did you try a reboot?"

In response to Sarm
Sarm wrote:
Flame Sage's house is where computers go to die. It's like a technological sequel to that new movie, Vacancy, except we're going to have to call it Unplugged or Open Socket or something.

Yay! I'm like.. Hell for Computers! :P
Maybe I like Linux so much, because I can't fungle it up too bad! :P
In response to Kujila
Kujila wrote:
Voice recognition problems = Windows problems now?

He probably didn't set it up right or train it well.

~Kujila

See the link I posted, its an example of selective media editing.

He starts out stating that there may be some issues with it because its in an auditorium, then goes on to demonstrate voice commands flawlessly; Opening Photo gallery, opening word, hitting Windows+tab to switch to 3D view, back to Word. Then it goes on to the "Type 'Dear Mom, comma'" which shows up "Dear Aunt,". A minute or two later he goes on to do it just about flawlessly.
In response to DDSR
You have no idea what you're talking about.

I run windows 98 SE on a partition on my computer at home. Sure, it's old, but it should be perfectly stable. It's still windows, right?

After roughly two days of continuous uptime, programs stop closing properly and I have to use the Task Manager to kill them.

That's not at all normal. You wouldn't see that happening on a Linux installation - of course, it wouldn't matter if it did, because Linux sandboxes programs correctly.

Installing and running a CD-burning program has caused blue screens.

That's not at all normal. You wouldn't see that happening on a Linux installation - in fact, I've never run into a single case where I've had a blue-screen like problem in linux - that is, a single fault that has completely trashed the OS to the point that I have to hard-reboot. I've seen a few problems (mostly caused by me), but they've always allowed for a soft-reboot. Why? Linux sandboxes correctly.

Worst of all, I have to disable all powersaving features, or Windows crashes when it tries to go into suspend mode.

My linux partition doesn't do that.

Now, this computer may be dying - I heartily admit that.

But if Linux can handle it, why not Windows?
In response to Jp
To be fair, that's sort of like complaining about an 8-year-old linux distro. Linux sucked pretty bad back then. TONS of work has been done since then. The relevant and powerful truth is that today's Linux is more secure and more free than today's Windows.

Linux still has some "duct tape" showing, and not everything "just works", and there are some apps that are really stupid (like the Gnome keyring), and various other troubles. But ultimately, Linux puts you in control of your computer and gives you the benefits of contributions from individuals and corporations throughout the IT world, culminating in a state of the art operating system that gives you freedom. Windows puts control of your computer in the hands of Microsoft, the RIAA, Hollywood, and big business interests.

Is that really the way that you want to connect with the Internet and watch your movies -- with somebody digitally staring over your shoulder?

Do you really trust a corporation that hides its software blueprints from even the "good guys" in the security world, with the security of your computer?

In an economic world where capitalism rules and your dollar is your vote, do you really want to vote for a company that stifles innovation, creates closed systems and closed standards, and is ultimately just out to make a buck?

Go with the system based on freedom, openness, verifiable security, and community spirit.
Page: 1 2 3 ... 6 7 8