In response to PirateHead
So basically what your saying...
Microsoft = Nazi's
Linux = Anti-Nazi's?
Yes. I believe it is :)
(By the way; Ubuntu 7.04 just got released; w00t!)

[It's not that I hate XP; it's that I hate what Microsoft does, and there "design plan", Linux and it's community is just so much... less evil.]
In response to Flame Sage
Yeah, and I just redownloaded the 7.04 beta last night :(

I just spent about 4 hours working with the 7.04 installer, just to find out I am an idiot and downloaded 6.10, which isn't compatible with my motherboard. Yes, I saw all the signs of 6.10, and ignored them. I knew there should be more options on the CD's boot loader, but ignored it. I knew that 7.04 had a different splash, but I ignored it. So what I'm saying, I didn't download 7.04, but 6.10. The hazards of building your own computer from top of the line parts, I suppose. Windows didn't much like it either.

I guess I'll download the 7.04 final when I get home tonight.
Flame Sage wrote:
(By the way; Ubuntu 7.04 just got released; w00t!)

Download 64% complete.
In response to PirateHead
Buy a Vista OS, Help a Nazi.

Shouldn't it be

Re: Buy a WINDOWS OS, Help a Nazi.
In response to A.T.H.K
Tru that.
Linux Ubuntu > Windows Vista
In. Every. Way.
<small>except games</small>
Flame Sage wrote:
<small>except games</small>
Only reason I'd never use Linux.
In response to Critical
It's not that it dosen't have good games, it has quite a few games that are like Counter Strike (possibly even better.)
And it can emulate Half Life 2, Counter Strike, etc. pretty well. Anyway; I can just emulate those games I cherish, the only reason (in my next laptop) I'm going to have a virutal machine running is BYOND. :)
In response to A.T.H.K
A.T.H.K wrote:
Buy a Vista OS, Help a Nazi.

Shouldn't it be

Re: Buy a WINDOWS OS, Help a Nazi.

No. Other versions of windows are completely or nearly completely lacking any form of DRM that could be able to put control of your computer in the hands of others.
In response to SSJ2GohanDBGT
Many of the problems are caused by memory errors. A simple reboot should fix it in most cases. That's why they ask about reboots.
DDSR wrote:
Quit pushing linux you fanboys, windows ins't that bad, you're just biased.

Data's opinion: true. They're too infatuated with Linux - which works for them and hasn't shown the same bugs as Windows has - but are unable to perceive the fact that yes, Linux does have it's flaws. For instance, it requires the user to learn more about computers/Linux in general before they'll be able to use the OS. Otherwise, simple tasks can't be performed without an X server to help you out -- and we all know those fail sometimes, albeit rarely. But if it does fail, you're screwed and have to somehow get support which is unavailable if you don't have access to the internet somehow.

I use both Linux and Windows. I use Linux for hosting, because it doesn't subject me to the same actions Windows wants me to take: buy a Windows server edition just so I can host multiple domains - or god forbid even have sub-domains with their IIS software. The only way to run a web-server on Windows is to use Apache, but it doesn't support Windows as a proper OS for some reason -- probably the same reason Windows software won't support Linux.

Meanwhile, my Windows PC sits there for primary use. I can play my (BYOND) games, surf the web, be connected to MSN/AIM/IRC, play music, connect to SSH servers using PuTTy and WinSCP, use Total Commander to connect to FTP servers and manage my local/remote files, make icons for my games (using Windows-only software), and occasionally download movies like Star Trek, Doctor Who and Stargate SG-1/Atlantis to watch on my PC using VLC. It works straight out of the box, and you can't really say that for Linux. In order to even get a web-server running on that you have to edit a configuration file which requires an amount of computer knowledge most don't possess.

While we can all be mad at Microsoft for making Vista use 512MB of RAM out of the blue and alienate their users with their EULA, most of us do in fact use Windows, even the ones complaining about this very OS.

-- Data
In response to Android Data
The fact that Windows users complain about Windows is an example of what is called "vendor lock-in". By creating and embracing closed standards, proprietary apps, and restrictive software patents, Microsoft creates an environment in which Windows users face the maximum amount of abuse when switching from Windows to Linux. Luckily, many of the closed Windows components - including the win32 API - have been reverse-engineered to some extent, allowing easier migration. This reverse-engineering is no substitute for truly open formats and open source code, but it helps a lot so long as those closed applications are in wide use.

Some Linux users don't really notice the problems with Linux. Some do, but glaze over them when evangelizing (I guilty of that one). Any honest, observant, competent linux user can attest that there are problems with Linux and that there is a learning curve for Windows users that are making the switch. For example, in the many years I've been using Windows, I never had to use the command line to administrate my system. On the flip side, now that I am used to it with Linux, I see it as a superior system. It's much harder to screw up when using text rather than drag-and-drop, for example.

@Lexy: Firefox crashed as I was writing this, and when I restarted it, my text had been saved and was restored. Awesome.
Flame Sage wrote:
Sarm wrote:
Flame Sage's house is where computers go to die. It's like a technological sequel to that new movie, Vacancy, except we're going to have to call it Unplugged or Open Socket or something.

Yay! I'm like.. Hell for Computers! :P
Maybe I like Linux so much, because I can't fungle it up too bad! :P

Because you have to learn how to first ;)
DDSR wrote:
In all my years, I have never once seen windows crash, fail, get hacked, etc anywhere at any time.

Windows isn't bad, but Vista sure is. Get XP Pro instead, on account of it doesn't suck.

Lummox JR
Android Data wrote:
DDSR wrote:

For instance, it requires the user to learn more about computers/Linux in general before they'll be able to use the OS.
OH MY GOD! We have to learn something about Linux before we can use it! Man, I wouldn't want to switch if I had to learn something new.

While we can all be mad at Microsoft for making Vista use 512MB of RAM out of the blue and alienate their users with their EULA. Yep, ok. I'll be mad.
Flame Sage wrote:
OH MY GOD! We have to learn something about Linux before we can use it! Man, I wouldn't want to switch if I had to learn something new.

We know you're willing to learn it. But think about those computer-illiterate people that don't bother to learn. They want an OS that works straight out of the box. Windows does this, that's why it's so popular.

Yep, ok. I'll be mad.

You're taking out the sentence that makes the most sense here: you need Windows, but you don't wanna because you've been brainwashed into believing Microsoft is pure evil so you're complaining.

The reason that there isn't much debate about how bad Linux is, is because there aren't enough people using Linux to start such a debate. You hear complaints about Windows all the time, but you have to realize that 99% of all PC users use Windows, and you're among the 99% that do.
Ill admit theres nothing wrong with liking Windows i use it on my everyday computer but the bugs just annoy the hell outta me and the BSOD when opening NERO kills me.

I regularly reformat my HD to keep windows xp in a nice balanced form just like linux (without the reformats) and to add the fact my HD's life expectancy is going to be pretty low now thanks microsoft you rock!</sarcasm>.
In response to A.T.H.K
A.T.H.K wrote:
Ill admit theres nothing wrong with liking Windows i use it on my everyday computer but the bugs just annoy the hell outta me and the BSOD when opening NERO kills me.

I regularly reformat my HD to keep windows xp in a nice balanced form just like linux (without the reformats) and to add the fact my HD's life expectancy is going to be pretty low now thanks microsoft you rock!</sarcasm>.

Wouldn't you have to format you HD like 40,000 times before it became a brick? I don't think you'll do it that many times even in a life time.

I used to have a old computer with 700-ish MB of ram and a 800MB HD. I formatted that at least once a month. I had it from 1992 to 1999. In that 7 years I had it I never once had a HD failure or anything.
A lot more, actually. Most computer users simply are not that interested in computers and operating systems. Most just want to play games or utilize the great network we call the internet.
In response to A.T.H.K
Your low HD life-expectancy is not because of Microsoft, it's because of your decision to reformat regularly, whatever that means. You can keep your Windows system clean and balanced without reformatting. I've been using Windows for many years and I've reformatted once (not including Windows OS upgrades). This thing is still running very well.

Also, ever think that you have faulty Nero software? BSODs come about when a program crashes, which is often because the program is trying to process too much information too quickly or screwed up with memory somewhere. Also, could be some kind of a conflict between another program, maybe, an anti-virus? drivers? Regardless, I don't think that's Windows fault, especially if it happens every time you open up Nero. Try updating and/or not using a pirated copy.

Before I forget, you can turn BSODs off. Instead, you receive a prompt telling you that the program has crashed and Error Reporting takes action, that is, if you let it.
In response to CaptFalcon33035
Right, among other things.

The point in mind is still the instability of Windows, which leads to such errors and thus the need for a reboot.
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 6 7 8