In response to CaptFalcon33035
CaptFalcon33035 wrote:
Your low HD life-expectancy is not because of Microsoft, it's because of your decision to reformat regularly, whatever that means. You can keep your Windows system clean and balanced without reformatting. I've been using Windows for many years and I've reformatted once (not including Windows OS upgrades). This thing is still running very well.

Also, ever think that you have faulty Nero software? BSODs come about when a program crashes, which is often because the program is trying to process too much information too quickly or screwed up with memory somewhere. Also, could be some kind of a conflict between another program, maybe, an anti-virus? drivers? Regardless, I don't think that's Windows fault, especially if it happens every time you open up Nero. Try updating and/or not using a pirated copy.

Before I forget, you can turn BSODs off. Instead, you receive a prompt telling you that the program has crashed and Error Reporting takes action, that is, if you let it.

AFAIK bsod's can't be turned off. It blue screens like that on purpose to protect hardware. I suspect his problems with nero are some type of faulty driver issue.
In response to Jerico2day
Jerico2day wrote:
AFAIK bsod's can't be turned off. It blue screens like that on purpose to protect hardware. I suspect his problems with nero are some type of faulty driver issue.

This is correct. The only way to 'turn off' BSODs is to let it automagically just instantly reboot instead; which it will do sometimes, even if it wouldn't BSOD. Yay!
In response to Jerico2day
CaptFalcon33035 <---- has never gotten a BSOD. :D
In response to Android Data
It works straight out of the box

Heh.

Funny, because on my computer, I had to install various drivers to get aspects of windows working correctly, and I only had to install one driver (for my graphics card) to get Linux working correctly.

And I only had to install a Linux driver because nVidia refuses to make open-source versions of their drivers.

This isn't exactly a fair comparison, though - I'm using Win98SE, which isn't exactly modern.

XP probably wouldn't run on this computer, though. Funny that a modern Linux OS does.
In response to CaptFalcon33035
Of course it's Window's fault. Why should a faulty program trash the OS?

A faulty program should, at most, go into an infinite loop and suck up processor cycles and memory. But the OS should limit the amount of memory used by the program, as well as the processor usage, to the point that it's still possible to kill it.

Guess which OSes sandboxes correctly. I'll give you a hint - Windows is not one of them.
In response to Jp
Jp wrote:
Funny, because on my computer, I had to install various drivers to get aspects of windows working correctly, and I only had to install one driver (for my graphics card) to get Linux working correctly.

This isn't exactly a fair comparison, though - I'm using Win98SE, which isn't exactly modern.

Precisely. With Windows XP/Vista, pretty much every driver works. Well, at least with Windows XP.
In response to Jp
Jp wrote:
Why should a faulty program trash the OS?

Except it wasn't the programs fault, it was the hardware which was screwing up causing the BSOD.
Why should semi-faulty hardware trash the OS? Linux can handle breaking hardware. Why can't Windows?
The funny thing is that Linux worked out-of-the-box, too. I just couldn't run anything that required hardware acceleration at a decent framerate.

And much as my comparison is slightly unfair in that I'm using Win98 on one end, the point stands that I can't use XP, because it literally would not run on this computer. I could probably manage 2000, but that's about it.

And I'm willing to bet 2000 would suffer from driver conflicts, too, unless I went and found them.

(Just as a random note - Windows wouldn't just run hardware-accelerated programs slowly, it would crash when I attempted to run them, until I installed special motherboard drivers. Linux handled it fine.)
In response to Jp
This sounds like an awesome linux distro! Which one do you use?
In response to PirateHead
Fedora Core 6. It's workable, has lots of the programs I'm interested in sitting on the disc, but is still newbie-friendly enough for little old me. I'm not quite as linux-savvy as I would like to be. But I pick stuff up as I go along.
In response to PirateHead
PirateHead wrote:
This sounds like an awesome linux distro! Which one do you use?
Ubuntu 7.04 has a bunch of new features.
A lot of cool stuff for laptops, easily connect to wireless networks!
In response to Flame Sage
A lot of cool stuff for laptops, easily connect to wireless networks!

This is one of the things I've had problems with with linux - wireless networks. My laptop has an Atheros-based 802.11g card, so I could install the madwifi drivers, but then getting them working required a bit of hand-hackery. It's not something a nontechnical user would have been able to do (But it's probably a plus for me - I learnt a lot more about wireless networks then I would have if it had just worked out of the box. I have a tendency to look at the silver lining)
In response to Jp
I compiled and installed the madwifi drivers on Ubuntu 6.10 pretty easily. And yeah, 7.04 is nice, but it broke my sound when I upgraded. I'm still working on it. Supposedly it's already patched and fixed upstream, but it may take awhile to get automatically fixed down here. Interestingly enough, the sound works fine on the LiveCD.
In response to Jp
Well, the main problem with WiFi is that everyone uses different drivers and nobody wants to explain how they work or releases drivers for OS other than Windows.

However, My laptop's WiFi works with Linux "Out of the Box", but not Windows. So it is really hit and miss. As Linux gains user support, however, it is gaining hardware developer support. I remember the day when pretty much 100% of the drivers made were reverse engineering pieces of art. People donated ungodly amounts of time to make a single piece of hardware work, because companies didn't bother to give technical specifications for their products.
In response to Danial.Beta
That's still where we are with opens-source graphics card drivers. Companies are totally tight-lip. Luckily, we have a few binary drivers given by the companies.
In response to Lummox JR
Heh, yeah I'm still running Xp on one of my computers.
In response to DDSR
I'm on vista right now. Its pretty much XP just really really shiny.
In response to Xx Dark Wizard xX
Xx Dark Wizard xX wrote:
I'm on vista right now. Its pretty much XP just really really shiny.

Yup.
In response to DDSR
It also seems to be faster than XP for some reason.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8