Hey scumbag, next time warn me before you link a thread in which I posted a picture of Jennifer's huge chest protrusions. My manager walked past my desk, saw the picture, and now I'm fired.

Screw you, man. Screw you all the freaking way.
In response to EmpirezTeam
EmpirezTeam wrote:
Hey scumbag, next time warn me before you link a thread in which I posted a picture of Jennifer's huge chest protrusions. My manager walked past my desk, saw the picture, and now I'm fired.

Screw you, man. Screw you all the freaking way.

This is why mods delete posts, bud. I'm sorry. I didn't plan for this to happen. But, at least you learned a lesson today.
In response to Xirre
Xirre wrote:
This is why mods delete posts, bud. I'm sorry. I didn't plan for this to happen. But, at least you learned a lesson today.

EXCEPT THEY DON'T. THIS IS THE INCONSISTENCY I WAS TALKING ABOUT THOUGH IT'S NOT LIMITED TO ET ALONE.
Lugia319 wrote:
So I've recently been informed that the reason users are no longer notified as to who or why their posts were deleted is because APPARENTLY the mods don't like being called out (or something to that effect).

Actually that's not it at all. Tom made the decision--and I fully agreed--to stop forwarding the reason to users. What was happening was that because the process created a pager message, the user on the receiving end of moderation often saw that as an initiation of conversation with the mod. It was often the case that users would harass the mod in return. Removing the pager notification effectively removed on ongoing source of drama; it was just more trouble than it was worth.

While over the years I've seen iffy actions by mods occasionally, I've seldom seen anything that was flat-out awful, and my inclination--as is that of other mods--is to give the person the benefit of the doubt. It doesn't mean they can't make mistakes or sometimes get it wrong, but heck, they're all volunteers.

Regarding your specific issues:

1) Inconsistency (real or perceived) is a given when you're dealing with multiple people, or sometimes even the same person. And when a mod closes a thread, regardless of whether there were still good points to be made it means that thread is over and we should all move on. Everyone in a heated argument feels there are still good points to be made, but sometimes the only way to put out the flames is to put a lid on it. (I made an exception here by posting after another mod closed the thread, as I felt there should be an official response. I do however get the irony.)

2) See above. It's not that there's a problem with notifying users, but that it was turning into a drama conduit.

3) When a mod takes action on the forum, it's because they believe they have good reason to do so. Fear of recognition would imply they didn't believe that to be the case, and I've never encountered that. If I'm asked which mod did what, I never have a problem saying so, because I assume they stand by their decisions.
Page: 1 2 3