ID:1838949

Hello Readers! Sorry for the delay, this past week has been crazy. If you are new, and don't know the drill, read down though the update briefs below, if you find a game or piece of information that looks interesting, click on the links in the brief to learn more. If you would like to see a screenshot in its original size, click on the image. Enjoy!

BYOND

BYOND 507.1283 has been released publicly this past week. This is the first public build that features the new Webclient, which is a HTML5 alternative to Dream Seeker, and boasts the advantage of being able to be used on any modern browser, on any operating system. In most cases, using the Webclient is as simple as selecting "Allow Dream Seeker and Webclient" from the drop down menu below the port/security/visibility boxes in dream daemon. The Webclient will be under continued development as the developers work to make the client run smoother and less taxing on the server. If you have any questions, post them in the Beta Testers subforum, and if something doesn't work quite right, report it in the Beta Bugs subforum.

For developers, two new features have been set to be added in the language by version 508. The first is a new appearance variable for atoms, which contains a snapshot of the atom's current appearance, and can be user-settable. When set to a different appearance (or an object, whose appearance will be copied), it will copy everything except density, dir, screen_loc, and verbs. Images too! This gives developers the power to easily visually clone anything.

The second big feature is expanded error handling, which can be used in place of the traditional proc crash upon hitting an error. Try, catch, and throw keywords can be used. With the exception of excessive loops, runtime error will be treated like throwing a string. Using the thrown value in the catch, or even doing anything in the catch at all, is optional.

BYOND Games

Kage no Odori now has new artists and has some new developments. Avidanimefan reports that clan skills are more flexible, more RP features have been added, and the Alchemist's Stone has been added, which allows players to start fires, and recall to a previous location. The bamboo Forest has also been laid out.

DanteVFarris has shared a new video featuring Cursed Luck, an in development RPG that has been planned to be released this summer. New ideas are available about single and duel player dungeons, player guilds and lands, and the balancing of the current classes.

Hedgemistress continues working on the interface for I Made A Dungeon! She scrapped the last edition of the interface after finding it was too confusing to work with. Moving on, there is now an inventory display, where items are shown, and a knowledge display, where skills and magic are shown, and it's still fully keyboard compatible.

Nowatimean hosted a public alpha test for The Elf from Abies, which is an RPG where the player takes the role of a 16 year old elf who has been asked by the local blacksmith to run a small errand. In doing so, you'll find one task leads to another, as you explore and fight to save the Rubrum forest. Turnout for the aforementioned Alpha test was limited, but it looks like there will be another opportunity to try it out this Sunday.

Neonkyojin has presented information on Ravenous, a zombie shooter survival game. Players are tasked with taking up arms and taking down the walking dead. Gain experience by completing objectives and shooting zombies, and keep an eye out for food. If your food supply is depleted, then you might starve to death!

Skirmish is breaking away from its capture-the-flag roots to pursue a more adventurish and rewarding gameplay experience for its players, where players are given a choice to explore the land and its dungeons in search of weapons and treasure, or band together in order to conquer one of the four kingdoms. New enemies and effects have been added to the game.

Rice has continued its development with IchiroKeisuke's Dev Blog being posted as he determines it ready, rather than on a semi-monthly schedule (Don't we all reach that conclusion at some point?). Crafting has been created, the map style and main menu have been reworked, and since you can now download (Use the zip downloader) and try out the game, a tutorial and reference guide have been prepared.

Players of Sigrogana Legend 2 will find new skills and quests to complete in version 1.21. In the last version, farming was implemented, and NPCs were more apt to talk about recent events. In the current version, new quests were added, along with a new interface to view current ones with. Bug fixes and adjustments galore!

The sandbox roleplaying game Boundless Online has been updated to version 0.9, and boasts new artwork for their login, character design screens, and HUD indicators. In addition to that, changes to the gameplay have been made with new benefits for humans, angels, and demons.

BYOND Resources

• Ssj4justdale has published a more advanced form of copytext(), which allows users to use strings for start and end indicators, instead of only character positions.
Good one :)
http://puu.sh/hnKsR/08587bbdd6.gif

And we're posting teasers from time to time on our Facebook, as always!: https://www.facebook.com/severedworldmmorpg
In response to Pixel Realms
Pixel Realms wrote:
http://puu.sh/hnKsR/08587bbdd6.gif

And we're posting teasers from time to time on our Facebook, as always!: https://www.facebook.com/severedworldmmorpg

That's copyright infringement.

You can't just throw Kirito into your game like that.
Just to let everyone know, the new features are not set in stone so their final implementation will be in flux till at least the first beta. There's discussion going on now about the error handling, which may evolve to allow a global handler. I'm already expecting to change the default crashes from a string to a datum, so file and line number (at least) can be included. User input is welcome!
Man your game looks good at always. Plus 2000 likes on facebook is impressive. You might be able to make some money of this. Hopefully you guys make byond games more popular and some of those new players dive into mine.
ok so im testing out the code for the websites, and im just getting a black screen when i move, no character icon, and a annoying buzzing sound as the back of my head.... im sure the last bug is my own problem... if it makes any difference, im using isometric format. http://www.chat-stuff.com/xeon.... but lovingly i think i able to make my own version of phantasia 4 without linux at last, i had a byond one in the works
This Within post is not on the Games page under announcements btw.
I didn't want to spam another brief eye candy thread so have some new Skirmish screenshots! Most changes lately are aesthetic with cloud that drift across the sky and fireflies that fill the night skies, although breakable crates that drop loot have been implemented also!

Nice. You removed the on-screen text. It was fairly a bit hard to see. It actually looks better this way.
In response to Xirre
Xirre wrote:
Nice. You removed the on-screen text. It was fairly a bit hard to see. It actually looks better this way.

Agreed. All together I'm very impressed with how that looks now.
Thanks; I'm glad you guys like it. (:
pluck....puke, guy looks like guts. or is it just a strange coicedence
Anyone know what happened to Higoten? I haven't seen a new version of this for some time and I thought we was about due for another batch of updates.
In response to IchiroKeisuke
I'm still around!

Within BYOND is set to be released each 2nd and 4th Wednesday of the month. In the occasional case of there being a 5th Wednesday in a month, results in there being three weeks in between Within BYONDs (as was such in April), verses the more typical two week periods. Within BYOND #18 is set to be published tomorrow, May 13th 2015.
In response to Higoten
Ah, I thought you went AWOL for a bit there. I occasionally check in to see what stuff is happening and thought the thing had been discontinued D:

Well, thanks for letting me know you was still around :P
You lied to us, Higoten.
BURN HIM AT THE STAKE.
He never said what time, Kumorii. Not even what time zone. He's doing what Unity did to their community for a good month. They said the new GUI was coming out in the summer. They never stated which hemisphere. Totally legit. It's our fault for not figuring these things out. He made the post on time accord to my time zone.
Quit making excuses for this heathen. Promising an issue of Within BYOND and then failing to deliver that which was owed to us is the most sinister form of BYOND blasphemy.

It's curtains for you, Higoten. Curtains.