ID:184316

the newer byond gets, the more it sucks, stick with the oldest version possible for best performance
That's why the new versions of BYOND has 3D sound, and 4.0 will have OpenGL? Just because their are bugs with the newer versions (which are Beta, and are known to have some bugs) doesn't mean they suck. It just means they're less stable than the stable version doesn't mean they suck.
In response to Popisfizzy
3d sound... how useful on non 3d games... cant wait...
you think byond is gona be using the openGL to goto 3d? doubt it...
if they move to 3d they might as well just delete everything they have sofar
In response to Falacy
That argument is irrelevant. On a 2D game you can still imagine a 3D plain, and therefore have 3D sound. In fact, it would be impossible to create 2D sound in a 3D world, because you can't constrain the movement of particles to with the sound to a 2D area.
In response to Popisfizzy
3d sound just means it plays at different volumes from different speakers, 2d means its always the same no matter how far away it is or which direction its from, you could easily stick 2d sound in a 3d game, or 3d sound in a 2d game, i could make a game with depth based 3d sound using byond right now, not alllll that hard bud!
In response to Falacy
Well, you just kind of proved the usefullness of using 3D sound in a 2D game environment.
In response to Falacy
Volume has no large bearing on 3D sound. 3D sound is very useful for the creation of an environment, making it seem more realistic and to help players get a feel for the setting of a game.
In response to Falacy
3d sound... how useful on non 3d games... cant wait...
3D sound is very useful in 2D games. See post [link]
Why can't you wait? 3D sound has already been incorporated into BYOND.

you think byond is gona be using the openGL to goto 3d?

He never stated that. OpenGL is simply easier to use and is compatible on all operating systems, making porting BYOND to other systems much easier. I think it's faster as well.
In response to Falacy
Falacy wrote:
you think byond is gona be using the openGL to goto 3d?

Definitely not. It's just a faster and more modern way of drawing stuff than ancient BitBlt (which it what it uses now).
In response to Crispy
Well, these new BYOND Betas that keep getting released are meant to have problems. They are Betas and they are supposed to be tested by us publically so we can find bugs and report them. Remember, the designers of BYOND don't have all the free time in the world. It's our job as players and customers to try and find what we can to help make BYOND better. That's why you don't just see them say "OMG! BYOND 4.0 is released now!" They want to wait until they can get all the kinks out before they even try to release it.
In addition to what everyone else said about the fact that these latest versions are betas, the older versions aren't way too much better, and are, in fact, worse. I don't know about you, but I love having my world.realtime variable working properly, as well as my world.internet_address variable.