ID:1844643

Yeah, I know that's ridiculous, but for now thats what I was trying. Throwing them all in the client's screen was causing the whole thing to lock up so I was trying them as regular map objects. A 16x16x16 cube of objects works fine. A flicker of a delay if I flood the whole thing, but not bad at all. Even 24x24x24 isn't too bad. And really, I wouldn't normally be flood filling the entire cube at once, but I wanted to stress it a bit. At 32x32x32, the whole thing pretty much locks up. I can get most of them to load briefly if I throw enough sleep calls in there to slow it down, but eventually they all actually vanish... I'm not entirely sure they all get created or not. I don't create them until the first time the get painted, but by the end they have all disappeared and I can't see them or click them. I don't know. I guess I can try breaking them up onto multiple turfs to see if that helps, but that makes the positioning matrix a bit more of a pain in the ass.

I did at least find a way to get rid of the OTHER 32768 objects I was loading for the drawing canvases to begin with. Well, got it down to 3072 objects anyway ;)

I'm really tired and rambling. Sorry.
DS's display code does have some legacy stuff that I think would cause it to freak out in the event of that many objects on one turf. I'm not sure what the impact would be on the server, but it'll be looking through all of those objects on every map tick (if the turf is in range) to see if any of them have changed. The DD/DS model is very efficient, so much so that I'm moving the webclient more in that direction, but there are limits to what either can handle.
There was a time when having a bunch of stuff on the screen (or on a single tile) would cause the client to have a panic attack and start jumbling messages making your client execute all sorts of weird stuff (plus random movement!), it was actually the first bug I ever reported on BYOND. I have to wonder if that 'legacy stuff' is the fix for that bug =P
I mostly mean that DS has the concept of a turf map, an obj map, and a mob map, and the obj/mob maps use a kind of weird compressed format. It's been a while since I've worked with it, but that format was limited in the number of items it could display, and I don't recall how much I did to stretch it. That mapping setup is really outmoded and should probably be scrapped at some point, but it still gets the job done so I've been reluctant to gut it.