ID:1851316

Hello Readers! Welcome to the 18th edition of Within BYOND. Find and keep up with in-development games by reading down though the game briefs. If you find a game that looks interesting, click on the links for more information and fan the hub page to keep up to date as updates and servers become available. To view the original images, click on the image. Then check out the comments for any additional information from developers!

BYOND Games

Skirmish, the multiplayer shooter by Kumorii now includes some new graphical effects. Day slowly changes to night and vice versa, bullets leave a smoke trail as they travel, and recently added crates break upon being hit. Included in the update log are a few screenshots of recent progress.

Rice has been updated by IchiroKeisuke recently, featuring craftable potions, new icons, HUD interfaces, new map areas, and a series of bug fixes. From the conclusion of a poll, he will be working on art and world development, alongside battle and PVP upgrades. Game play files can be downloaded from the hub page using the zip link.

Cranimus posted an update log for the sidescolling adventure game, Eureka. Progress over the past few weeks include the addition of color coded damage indicators, bow and arrows, and aerial attacks. They have also developed a new desert and underground environment to go along with the forest. He has also included some slick artwork to share.

Kage no Odori : Rise of the Tengu is an adventure ninja game that is currently undergoing open alpha testing. Avidanimefan has requested that a form be filled out for those who do participate in the testing session.

Azusa Generations (formerly known as Azusa RP) has received an update that changes how players progress as great wars come to an end. Check out the update here for full details. Also new in version 2.0 is a tutorial, ocean and lava areas, a year cycle system, and a few new dungeons. Check out their guide to guardian skills as well.

After being silent for a few months, the developers of Wolf Pack Battalion have posted a new update featuring new graphics for their 5 characters and 4 stages for their super-powered multiplayer battlefield.

Okayama RPG is a new roleplaying game created by Rich2008 that is currently in alpha. Players take on the role of a chef, farmer, gladiator, governor, policeman, or an assassin and drive and develop the game's story line.

The team over at Severed World have posted a video that they plan to include as part of their Kickstarter that can be expected within the next two weeks. Backers will receive early access to the beta version of the game. If you haven't been keeping tabs on their progress, check out their Facebook page for the latest news.

DanteVFenris has posted a few updates recording the progress of development for Cursed Luck. First included the collection of loot and an introduction to perks. Second he revamped the world map. Third, he brought the AI up to par, and finally he showed off the questing system for the game.

Sigrogana Legend 2 now has 9 new enchantments, roaming bosses, revamped dungeons and bosses, 9 fancy new skill animations, and countless bug fixes and adjustments!

Toddab503 has continued making changes to Final Resurrection: Redemption and posted a development log offering information on their available classes and how skills are set to be developed. Players are given a choice of being a Human, Midorian, Akunan, Acidus, or Demon, each of which have different attributes. Skills are customized by locating and mixing and matching datachips.

BYOND Resources

I see that there are a lot of very impressive games on the way.

Some of the art on these games are crazy. Especially Azusa Generations's turfs which have a crazy level of detail and Kage no Odori's base sprite and clothing which have an abundance of style.

In terms of gameplay though, I can see potentially a lot of people playing Wolf Pack Battalion, though the character's perhaps seem a bit ordinary, which might put people off.
Some great looking games :)
I wonder if you should maybe also start including any tutorials/snippets of note made within the forums also? Think that would also be interesting to read about for those who like a refresher, and for others who simply do don't go trawling through the forums often.

But yeah, some good stuff on here it seems still, good to see :D.

Oh and WB Higoten (feels like that's necessary for some reason :o lol)
Hype is real.
Max_Edit is actually a demo at the moment until I get the to-do list sorted out and fixed.
It's fantastic to return to BYOND after nearly a year of inactivity and find that things are going seemingly stronger than ever. Just the fact that I went into two different sections of the forum and saw a great deal of activity, relevant to development really made me happy; then to see that someone is taking the initiative to talk about new things happening each week in the community. As much as an excuse as it may seem, my activity dwindled because of the lack of community support. This seems like a community I can rally behind more than just monetarily. Thanks a lot guys, now I have to spend actual time getting back into BYOND. :p
In response to Magicmann
You're welcome :p
Thanks for the mention! It always makes me feel more motivated when I see anything I've posted make it into here. It's very enjoyable seeing everyone elses progress all in one place, too, and much easier to keep up with.

Real life has done a real number on how much time I have to put into game design lately, so I may not be able to post much for a bit, but whenever I get it cleared up progress should pick back up to faster than before.
Skirmish teaser!

Dialog boxes are done among some other aesthetic adjustments. Companions will be my project for tomorrow since I'm off of work. (:
What are the floating things?
CLouds.
In response to Ganite
What Akto said. They float across the map from the east. (:

Here's a night view of it in case somebody wanted to see how it contrasted.

Before it's asked, the blue thing is a wisp.
Ah lovely, I really do enjoy how this game is coming along. I honestly think its something I'd enjoy over Feed. Keep it up!
What's that blue thing?
In response to Kumorii
Can I ask how often you actually work on this game?
I'm judging from my own personal skill level, but it doesn't seem like making a shooter game would be that time consuming.

How long have you actually worked on this?
In response to Avidanimefan
I only work on Skirmish once a week (Sundays) since that's the only day I'm off and I work 9 hour shifts. Today is an exception because I'm off for Memorial Day.

Keep in mind there's a lot I want to do with Skirmish. It's grown to be a pretty ambitious project. Yes, it may never see the light of release, but I've taught myself A LOT about ai and pixel movement so far. I mean, how many other games on BYOND have competent, weapon-wielding NPCs?

Postnote: Also, don't underestimate the sheer amount of content that's already been done with Skirmish. Just because it's not a round based CtF game anymore doesn't mean that all of those features were just removed.
In response to Kumorii
I'm not under estimating by any means. I guess I just work fairly quickly.

It would probably take me 1-2 weeks *maybe 5-6 hours a day* to make that level of progress. That's just a rough guess though. I've never actually done a Shooter type game, but in theory they seem like they wouldn't take a ton of time once you pin down AI and shooting mechanics.
In response to Avidanimefan
Really, a shooter and an RPG would theoretically take the same amount of time to create.

Most carry the same core mechanics like Kumorii has shown. Movement, maptext, HUD, etc.

The only real difference is instead of magic/swords you're using guns which goes into possible pixel-projectiles.

Also, for every sword, shield, boots, etc. you add in an RPG you can add guns, grenades, boots, etc. in a shooter.

Imagine re-creating your whole entire game, but add in guns and the extras that come with guns (explosions, etc.)
In response to Maximus_Alex2003
Nah. I'm 100% sure it wouldn't take me another 5 months to make a shooter.
I'm also almost 100% sure I could recreate most of what a shooter is in under a week.

Are we making bets here? lol :p
Page: 1 2 3