In response to Avidanimefan
Depends on how in depth you're going to be. Are you having automatic round handling? Better keep track of where your players are and make sure win/lose conditions are clearly defined with any reused variable being reset properly. Are your explosions going to blow debris around? If so, you better create a new class of objs. What about unique explosion knockback effects? Want molotovs? Better add fire too. Want it to spread? alright, tack a loop on there. Now with all of this you forgot to program your ai which needs to handle the same guns and weapons as players and actually know how to play your game(without breaking it).

There's a lot more to a shooter than you think. Especially if you're using pixel movement and want to take advantage of the additional aesthetics that are possible with pixel movement. Make a shooter and we'll see how things compare. (;
In response to Kumorii
I'm aware of all those things. I just don't think it would take me that long. I have experience dealing with just about everything you mentioned.
My time quote doesn't really change, I think 1-2 weeks would be pretty sufficient time to make a game comparable to what you are working on.

Wild Fire. I have that in Kage. Fire that spreads and burns out eventually.(no loops btw)
Explosions.
Knockbacks.
AI.(up to 500+ running simulatenously constantly mind you)
Projectile system that supports up to 600+ projectiles (pixel movement based)before any visible lag
And yea I use pixel movement.

Personally I just don't think it would take me months to recreate something close to this.
I wouldn't mind giving it a shot tho.
Do your projectiles account for weapon accuracy and recoil by pixel increments? How about your AI, does it know how to navigate obstacles and use weapons(melee and projectile) accurately? Some smart AI is better than hordes of dumb AI. I learned that lesson with Feed (which supported 500+ ai).

I'm not trying to have a pissing match with you, I'm just enjoying the rivalry vibes. (:
In response to Kumorii
lol.
It was never meant to be a pissing match by any means.

My weapons don't have recoil, but they do have impact-the more force behind the weapon the harder the player gets "jarred" when struck with it.

As far as smart AI. AI isn't the main focus of my game (it's pvp RP) so I never had a need to do a ton of AI related programming.

That would probably be the one thing that takes me a while to set up but even then 4-5 hours maybe if that.

I'm off today, I'll see what I can put together.
(need to make them glow while exchanging dialog too.)

The first follower/companion npc is complete! You can get a companion wisp by stumbling across a "Lonely Wisp" in the overworld. It will exchange some dialog with you before joining your party for the rest of eternity. They will assist you in battle by both knocking back enemies and dealing damage if the enemy has no armor left. They come in several colors and you can only recruit one so be picky!

Eventually I want to expand on the companion wisp by making different colors represent different support abilities such as healing when health is low, attacking, knocking back enemies that get too close, etc. They'll eventually share dialog about certain areas or objectives, but that's down the road a little. (:
Ehh someones thinking to high and mighty of themselves. I don't think Skirmish is just your average shooter its more then just that. (And not just to Skirmish but any shooter.)
In response to Ganite
I don't think knowing what one is capable of is really comparable to thinking too highly of oneself.

I'm just pretty sure of what I can and can't do.
I spent 5 months working on Kage.
it has roughly 3-5x more features than Skirmish.

Most of the stuff he listed is stuff that took me 1-2 or 4-5 hours to complete as I was adding it to Kage,

So you could say I'm being cocky, or maybe.. just maybe. I just know myself. Either way it doesn't matter persay.

Edit:

Actually I checked my Dev log. it has nearly 20x more features than skirmish does currently. that means most of what could probably be added to the game by him,I've already touched done or considered at this point.

It has 0 to do with being cocky so don't make it into something it's not. I think it's pretty silly to just assume I don't know what I'm doing when it comes to coding when just last week you were considering hiring me to do some coding for your game. -_-

With my level of skill I have pretty much the ability to make almost anything I want given enough time and understanding of what it is I want to achieve. Just a few weeks ago I wrote a map instancing code set. Before that, a chat system similiar to Jemail's chatbox, and many, many other things, most of which inspired recent updates for Skirmish (the day and night system, clouds- those were in Kage months ago).

Just saying.
You counted all of Skirmish's features by reading the stars, I take it? (:

Also, quality over quantity. /Checkmate
guys im amazing coder /end
In response to Kumorii
You can only win if it's a game?

If anything the people getting defensive are probably the insecure ones- the ones telling me not to be "cocky" as well.
(I'm sorry when was I ever cocky? lol -_-*)
I'm not really competing.
I'm fairly confident of my skills in this situation.
There's different levels to this-to me, looking at what you've done equates to, yea I can do this, it would be simple. Just like you can look at a beginner's code and immediately judge how long it would take you to write said code, improve it, or what have you.

I'd appreciate it if you (Ganite) would stop trying to make it into something it's not. I believe you did this some other time as well regarding some artwork you swore up and down I stole, you basically made a silly accusation and many assumptions.

Back to Kumorii:

So you're saying it's inconceivable that I just might be better at making a shooter than yourself because it took you a few months to reach this level of progress?

I'm just begging to differ, last I checked having a difference of opinion and intimate knowledge of one's own skill set definitely isn't a crime.

I'm basing skirmish's features by the image you posted above showing all your code files which are neatly named, the hub, progres reports and the open source you did a while back.

And then comparing it to my own list of features, you are right.. Quality over quantity. I just happen to have much more quality stuffed into my game- that's why it took me 5 months to write it.

nubz
Avidanimefan wrote:

I'd appreciate it if you (Ganite) would stop trying to make it into something it's not. I believe you did this some other time as well regarding some artwork you swore up and down I stole, you basically made a silly accusation and many assumptions.

What? I'm really tired of people using my name in such a negative light I didn't do anything of the sorts...
And I'm not making it anything its not you came at Kumorii we all seen it. Might've not tried to mean it offensively but it felt like it. And no I didn't try to make things worse I just said what I thought (like you did).
Like, replace everything these two are saying about the additions and updates to their game, with some kind talk about Bleach or Naruto. This conversation is the same kind fan game 'owners' have.

Back on topic: Skirmish and Eureka look promising and fun to play!
In response to Pixel Realms
Saw this comment:

Bth_Portugal 3 hours ago
It looks like a nice game. I like the overall art design of the game and its kind of a cool idea to be able to play a game like "Legend of Zelda" with a few friends and defeating bosses and all kinds of enemies together. Oh, and please... Please don't release this as a Free To Play game with micro-transactions, I would rather pay 10 euros or some other fixed price and have the full game than spent money in Free to Play games. I'll vote, but please consider releasing it as a priced game.

and I kind of have to agree.
In response to Ganite
Came at him how?
I asked him how long it took him to make the current version of Skirmish.

And..he goes to get his "boys" to back him up because he felt threatened? Good to know. I know who to talk to and who not to talk to apparently -_-

Anyway I'm done I don't wish to derail this thread any further.
Avidanimefan wrote:
but it doesn't seem like making a shooter game would be that time consuming.

Don't forget you said this as well. You continued to derail by even bringing it back up even knowing we all moved on. Guess your just like us all here and needed your last input.
:)

I rather Kumorii take his time on this "shooter" then rush it.
In response to Ganite
And my statement still stands. It seems rather simple, and I'm 100% sure I could make a shooter with pretty much all of those same features in 1-2 weeks of work.

I'm sorry you guys moved on with out me. I actually went to bed, I was unaware it was illegal to reply to a public post. I'm sorry I won't do it again :o
Instead of talking do it go make the shooter comparable to Skirmish in 1-2 weeks and prove you aren't just talking out your ass. And then we will see how it compares and if it has everything Skirmish has and plays as efficient.
Page: 1 2 3