ID:1851319

Poll: Do you prefer to use Git or SVN?

Git 53% (7)
SVN 46% (6)

Login to vote.

Do you prefer to use Git or SVN? Also, why do you prefer one to the other? Just curious.
I prefer using Git whenever possible.
I use SVN. Seems to do me wonders and it's preferred by some of the applications I use. Works great with my group projects.
Local branches and git notes have pretty well made SVN unusable by comparison. That and watching the difference in time in terms of pulling down large projects.
We're at a bridge point between RCS tech. That's why it's going to be an even split between SVN and Git. In five years, though, Git is going to be THE RCS approach that almost everyone uses and we'll have a new group of "elitists" arguing about some future RCS being better than Git, just like we had "elitists" arguing for Git over SVN 3 years ago.
Interesting, thanks for the feedback. Looks like it might be time to jump on board with Git.
We still use CVS where I work *cries*
In response to DarkCampainger
DarkCampainger wrote:
We still use CVS where I work *cries*

The fact that I don't even know what that is probably means the crying is warranted. xD
The fact that I don't even know what that is probably means the crying is warranted. xD

CVS is the RCS that we all jumped ship from when SVN became popular. CVS is today the SVN of about 5 years ago.
No love for Mercurial?
Mercurial

Engineers love mercurial. Nobody else does. For that matter, nobody likes engineers either. And I'm not talking software engineers or database engineers. I mean people that actually know stuff.

EDIT: Being unable to merge a parent node made Mercurial unusable for me.

Also, to prove my point about Git and SVN up above so it's clear I'm not just generalizing: We're currently just past the apex of SVN's popularity, and just at the beginning of Git's climb. In three to five years, we'll see a new technology emerge and once it hits 10% adoption within 5 years it'll hit 50% marketshare. This is how it always works.

http://programmers.stackexchange.com/questions/136079/ are-there-any-statistics-that-show-the-popularity-of-git-ver sus-svn

Though, due to the popularity of Git and the fact that it was first developed by Linus Torvald, it might hang around a bit longer than SVN and CVS did.