ID:1851816

Just popped on to do a bit of lurking and saw what looked like an original game on the hub, due to it's name and icon/pictures: Retro Roleplay.

Yeah, it's a DBZ rip. That old chestnut. Do the site mods even check games anymore? I've had my fair few declined from the hub, and now I'm seeing this.

Thanks, B

P.S. This directly conflicts the terms of putting a game on the site's hub, so I'm going to receive no whining on that front. Worst you can do is smack my bottom for being so snappy.
No, we don't actually login and check games anymore, we base it entirely on the content visible on the hub. There's no offending content on the hub entry for that game.
Oh, fair enough. My bad, do you guys intend to take it down now, then?
Probably not, there's no fan material on the hub listing and that's really all we check for now.
Fair does.
BYOND isn't necessarily responsible for the games themselves, BYOND is responsible for the hub entries as this is what makes a game published. The game itself BYOND has no control over and would go to the game owner.

Ex: You publish a fan-made game on BYOND. BYOND gets a C&D. BYOND has to make sure your game isn't publicly listed, however the game can still exist. Now, if the fan-made material owner gives the specific game itself a C&D than it's up to the game owner to remove it completely and BYOND isn't in the middle. That would be the equivalent to FUNimation giving DB Finale rips a C&D instead of BYOND a C&D.

C&D - Cease and Desist.
In response to Maximus_Alex2003
To clarify, BYOND is not "responsible" for user-submitted content; the users who submit that content are. All we do is comply with our legal obligation to remove content when a valid DMCA request is delivered.

If a game is taken down because of a DMCA request, the hub entry is suppressed--which means no one but top admins or the owner can see the data at all, and it's basically dead to the hub. There is however a notice left up so that if users know the URL for the game, they'll see that it was removed. (Bsaically what YouTube does.) The owner sees the content of the takedown notice.

But you're correct that such a game can still be hosted, because we have no control over that. The hub however will ignore it, so a taken-down game effectively breaks all ties with the website and hub. If a copyright holder wants a game to stop being hosted for good, they would have to send a C&D or a DMCA request to the hosts themselves.
hatas gonna hate 🎩
In response to Dakumonki
Dakumonki wrote:
hatas gonna hate 🎩

Truth has been spoken desu