ID:1852298

I have a matrix-type question.

How can you tell that your game is good, if the only people that play it are people that like it? Meaning just because your playerbase tells you that the game is good doesn't mean that it rly is. ik we should build "our" own dream game, but if we don't know that we have to improve on it more then we won't truly unlock its potential (dbz reference). We could all be creating horrible games for all we know. Any thoughts?
"good" and "horrible" are subjective opinions and of course will vary depending on who you ask. That's why you focus on a particular audience and work on improving the experience for that audience. Everyone can't be pleased.
Critical172 wrote:
We could all be creating horrible games for all we know. Any thoughts?

I think that's the ugly truth that the vast majority of BYOND game developers refuse to acknowledge. It's actually really simple. You know that your game is absolutely horrible when absolutely no one from outside BYOND comes to play it. It's also likely that your marketing strategy is nonexistent.

Trying to determine how good your game is based on its popularity with BYOND players is insane. That's like asking zombies how they feel.
That's like asking zombies how they feel.

Zombies is people too.
To be honest, BYOND has a decent amount of promising games that aren't going in the right direction (developers worrying too much on petty things and nothing really core or fundamental to the game itself). On the other hand, the Steam Greenlit submissions are absolutely garbage. I spent about 2 hours last night going through the submitted games waiting to be greenlit and it's absolute rubbish what people would submit on there.
My games are great. Hopefully I finish them.
If you're looking for solid and honest feedback for your game, appeal to people to review the game and provide you with feedback. I don't know of anyone in particular who does this professionally, but you can start with members of the BYOND community, since we're all here anyways. You would also do well to reach out to other game development communities.

Make sure you take their feedback with a grain of salt, and take it for what it is, and that's someone's opinion. At the end of the day you know what your vision for the game is, but there's little point in making something for others to enjoy if they can't enjoy it because of poor design choices on your part.
In response to F0lak
F0lak wrote:
If you're looking for solid and honest feedback for your game, appeal to people to review the game and provide you with feedback. I don't know of anyone in particular who does this professionally, but you can start with members of the BYOND community, since we're all here anyways.

I can't speak for others, but my work has a very heavy emphasis on UX across multiple platforms (PC, mobile apps, gaming consoles, and the like), and I have participated in a handful of fairly large world-wide project releases. I've been debating offering to provide feedback on some games, focusing predominately on the UI and end-user behavior with me as proxy (and maybe roping in my partner, who is absolutely the world's worst gamer ever and would provide an excellent counter-perspective). Reviews done with team permission, of course, and full knowledge that the feedback that I provide may be critical but hopefully never callous.

Feedback on IRC has been fairly positive, but I did have concerns that people wouldn't be interested.
If your game is good, people will love it and pay money to play it. If your game is bad, few people will play it. This is obvious people.
Make up good user interface and controls good. When some your games do that than focus on making it good.

Or if you think your games lacking ask a developer to review it. I don't mind reviewing anyone's game