ID:1852530

The problem seemed to start without warning while running BYOND 506.1247. I hadn't updated in weeks or months so I don't know what could have been the cause. Every time I attempt to launch Dream Seeker for any game, even an invalid IP:port locaton, it simply doesn't work. With each attempt, a dream seeker executable appears in Task Manager taking up 7,000 k of memory but does not do anything. This occurs when I launch games from the pager, Dream Daemon, or even Dream Maker. If I attempt to launch directly from the dream seeker executable in bin, it opens Options and Messages but will not proceed beyond "Logging in...connected". After updating to BYOND 507.1284, the only thing that changed is that the nonworking executables now take up about 3,500 K memory each instead of 7,000.

I am running the 64-bit version of Windows 7 and unfortunately do not have any restore points from before the issue began. I do not have automatic Windows Updates enabled and did not manually update anything either. I haven't touched .NET framework or IE in months. I don't know what could have caused this but I hope I can get it worked out somehow.
I would actually try upgrading the .NET framework and IE anyway, just to be safe. Also, is it possible that you have antivirus or security software interfering? (Or even malware?)
Nope. I tried disabling my AV temporarily but that did nothing. I'm pretty sure my .NET framework is updated, but I haven't touched the default IE installation ever and I would prefer not to.

Another thing of note I forgot to mention, when I try to start a working game that doesn't allow guest keys via the pager and then close the pager, it later displays the pop up with the "Guest keys not allowed" message. Also, if I open Dream Seeker directly without the pager running, it can go farther than the "Logging in..." and it also says "BYOND pager cannot be contacted on port 56334."
Does it always say that same port? I wonder if your config files aren't being updated for some reason.

One thing you might try is renaming your BYOND data dir, and letting it create a new one from scratch. If that works, save the old dir because I'm curious to find out what was wrong with it.
Same issue after renaming the cfg folder and even after renaming the entire BYOND folder and letting it make a new one. The port mentioned in Options & Messages seems to vary with each attempt.

Interestingly, if I try to start a downloadable game such as Incursion it will load just fine but only after closing the pager.
That sounds like there's actually something interfering with your networking. If it's not antivirus software, look for other security software (especially a firewall) and also you should scan for malware.
Even after completely disabling all my network adapters, it will still only let me play single player dmb's when the BYOND pager is not running. Is it still likely to be a network problem in that case?

I also forgot to mention that I can still run BYOND fine on a Windows XP virtual machine, even connecting to remote games. I may end up simply installing Ubuntu and playing BYOND from there.

The only antivirus/firewall I run is Avast, and disabling the shields didn't get me anywhere. I've never had any problems with viruses and this desktop is a good 7 years old, but I'll try running some virus scans and see if that gets me anywhere.
Extraterrestrial Tardigrade wrote:
Even after completely disabling all my network adapters, it will still only let me play single player dmb's when the BYOND pager is not running. Is it still likely to be a network problem in that case?

I also forgot to mention that I can still run BYOND fine on a Windows XP virtual machine, even connecting to remote games. I may end up simply installing Ubuntu and playing BYOND from there.

The only antivirus/firewall I run is Avast, and disabling the shields didn't get me anywhere. I've never had any problems with viruses and this desktop is a good 7 years old, but I'll try running some virus scans and see if that gets me anywhere.

Checked Windows Firewall?
Same issue after disabling Windows Firewall.
Problem resolved after resetting Winsock.
Huh, interesting. I'm glad it's fixed. Can you lay out the steps you followed? I'd like to be able to point other users to this solution as well.
1. Run cmd as administrator
2. Send "netsh winsock reset"
3. Restart PC
Interesting. Thanks for sharing that info. I hope it'll help other users.
I suddenly started having the same issue (right after the downtime)
- Ended up resetting winsock and rebooting -

Yay, it worked. Until 10 minutes later when I relogged. The issue persists.