ID:1852662

Applies to:BYOND Pager

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
Yes, you read that right.
While this might be an unusual thing to complain about, I really am not seeing enough ads in BYOND, even though there are more than enough opportunities to have some that wouldn't actually bother me at all.

One example is the excessive loading times for resources from servers. Even the longest video ads are finished by the time the 30Mb of resources are downloaded from the server, and that is if i even get a video ad and not just the BYOND membership ad.

Furthermore there's unused space in the pager where you guys could put ads without it obstructing anything or it even being too distracting.

I worry a lot about how you will keep the servers running with this little ad revenue, and as i said, the things mentioned above would not bother anyone. After all there's not much you can do in the 2 minutes while resources are downloading anyway, and there's no reason why you'd need empty black space on the pager.
Ads in the pager were rarely ever seen by anyone and thus BYOND made almost nothing from them. Nobody really uses the pager other than a few seconds to check messages in the pager or possibly joining games.

Other than that the pager is actually mostly unused.

The minute or so someone would use the pager and the 1 ad they'd see each time isn't going to bring in any income to speak of.

***People also don't use the website a lot either, so ads there other than while in the forums would also be nearly pointless.

The only way I see ads making a noticeable difference is if they added them to the bottom of input() dialog menus and other things like this that could come up a lot from some games and have a lot of extra real-estate to use to display in.
Skype has ads too and that's also only open if someone is in that very second chatting to someone else. Almost nothing is still more than nothing. And for example on server resets in SS13, which take about 30 seconds, one could also display ads.

I'm not saying that it would generate tons of money, but it would generate SOME. And that is still better than nothing, or generating tons of money with incredibly annoying in game ads.
The ads actually do OK-- when they are working. We are having some availability issues because providers don't like to work with software-clients. So hopefully as more BYOND games transition onto the web, it will be win-win. The intent isn't to show more ads or downgrade the experience anymore. We certainly appreciate any contributions to the project to help out though, even if it's just a Membership to skip the occasional ad :)
But that is sortof my point, you can't really expect everyone to buy memberships, because a lot of people simply don't have that kind of money just laying around, and some others are not willing to spend it on things like this.

My point was that you could have more ads, if you can somehow manage to find the right providers, without obstructing anyone.
In response to Tom
Actually Tom, over 80% of the time connecting with the web-client I don't get ads either.

It says:

An advertisement could not be displayed. This could be due to an ad blocker or a technical issue.

If you are not blocking ads, please contact BYOND support. Otherwise, please turn off your ad blocking software for byond.com. BYOND Members also have the option to disable ads.

Please wait a few seconds for game to load.

NOTE: I have also never used any ad blocking software at all and I don't change anything when they start loading again.

I find it hard to believe that 80% of the time I connect to games there are "technical issues" coming from your ad provider.

There is something seriously wrong with that ad provider or the implementation of ads.
Yes, the ad availability is limited because most providers don't want to work with software-clients, but we can't show them much in terms of web-client access yet. Once the webclient is more widespread, they'll be more open to provide ads, if that makes sense. Although this is a somewhat recent development, and I also think a technical issue (on the provider end) is exacerbating things at the moment.
In response to N0B0DY-1MP0R7AN7
N0B0DY-1MP0R7AN7 wrote:
My point was that you could have more ads, if you can somehow manage to find the right providers, without obstructing anyone.

I understand, but we don't really want to degrade the product with a larger volume of ads. I think the main thing is just getting better availability within the system we do have, since, as noted above, very few ads are even coming through.

Keep in mind that displaying more ads won't generate much revenue if nobody actually clicks on them.
In response to Superbike32
Superbike32 wrote:
... if they added them to the bottom of input() dialog menus and other things like this that could come up a lot from some games and have a lot of extra real-estate to use to display in.

Woah there Satan xD