ID:1853813

Redundant
Applies to:DM Language

This feature has already been implemented, or is already achievable with existing methods.
I've been (slowly) working on a MUCK utilizing BYOND's software.

One thing I was pelted with request-wise was a feature to allow a user to create their own character icon/avatar.

I do know that it's relatively simple for a user to utilize the built-in editor/animator toolset and then submit it to us, and we can push a live update to anyone connected so as to make it 'seamless,' but having a feature in-engine that can be used for when a client begins registering a new character in a custom world would be great.

However, I do see this being a feature not exactly feasible for the web client, as the web client doesn't come with dev tools IIRC. This would only be available to those that download the full BYOND package.
Actually, I think it'd be way easier to do this on the webclient. All you'd need to do would be to build a custom control (or perhaps a custom prompt).

But being able to edit your character's icon can be done a number of ways in soft code. Most games don't allow full icon customization, but instead let you choose from a bunch of base types (body, hair, etc.) and apply colors to them. This is probably the simplest thing to setup for now that would make your players happy.
As nifty as this feature would be, I don't think it's practical to be a built-in thing for games, especially since it's easily achievable via soft-code like Lummox mentioned (interface objects, on-screen screen_obj, etc). However, a webclient .dmi-editor would be pretty nifty, which could open the possibilities up a bit to more devices like tablets, smartphones, etc. I think this is already achievable via javascript and generating "sprite-sheets" and importing to BYOND, like http://www.byond.com/developer/DarkCampainger/ SpriteSheetImporter .
Nadrew resolved issue (Redundant)
Any custom control for the webclient that's useful enough to many games, I'm open to including in the default lib.
So, what I'm being told is there's an easy way to directly access animation and edit pixel for pixel in-game and upload it?

Please show me where that's done. I've looked for that across the entire site for code examples, and there's nothing there.
Er, not really. Rather I mean it'd be possible to develop such a thing.
Talk to Flick, I'm sure he'll tell you how hes going about it.

http://www.byond.com/forum/?post=1842825